Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather shooting tips

Here is my best tip:

Do not blast the heat in your car on the way to the range. Mid temp at hottest, or even an open window while driving is key. You will get so hot layered up in the car, you WILL sweat, and the shock of going and standing outside will take you a long time to adjust/acclimate...

I think most people over-bundle in clothes that don't necessarily retain heat or allow sweat to escape. My approach is a decent base layer (either under armor or cabelas MTP which I find more comfortable) followed up by a light weight fleece pullover that is fairly tight. That's is what I shoot in, between stages I'll put on a fleece jacket or a fleece lined winter jacket if the wind is moving. Boots with good wool socks, fleece lined pants for the lower half, I don't like long underwear personally. For my hands I've been using a pair of mechanix winter armor gloves which aren't the heaviest but if you keep doing stuff are great. A wind proof fleece watch cap for the brain pan.

Also, keep busy and stay out of the wind.

Edited by Vlad

Warmers over the chest area, even if you have to duct tape it to the chest area. The military has been experimenting with this for a while. Keep the heart area warm and you can increase your body heat by between 30-40%. This works.

As odd as it sounds, a sheet of bubble wrap (small bubbles), bubbles in, works very very well at keeping your chest warm. Works well in the rain and wind.

Surprised none of you mentioned the sleeveless shooting jacket from CED. I've used it in Canada and it works very well, without interfering with your equipment.

I'm having the wife make me a vest similar to CEDs, just need to find the correct outer and liner material.

Edited by jdphotoguy

Warmers over the chest area, even if you have to duct tape it to the chest area. The military has been experimenting with this for a while. Keep the heart area warm and you can increase your body heat by between 30-40%. This works.

As odd as it sounds, a sheet of bubble wrap (small bubbles), bubbles in, works very very well at keeping your chest warm. Works well in the rain and wind.

I'll have to try your suggestions and pass them along to some of my shooting buddies that just can't take the cold, even though as far as I'm concerned it never really gets that cold down here.

everybody has mentioned different compression wear UA and so on. But somme stuff I'e found helps over the last few years.

Lot of times my cold chills seemed to start in the lower back and get stiff. So I started wearing the heated body wraps you find in the Walmart pharmacy section, once you get the wrap the first time I just by the Large body warmer pads now from the sporting goods section, they last about 8 hrs.

I also started wearing in addition to gloves with hot packs. Tennis sweat bands around my wrists and put a hand warmer inside of it against the inside of my wrists because I can leave these on when shooting. It seems to help sorta the opposite of pouring a little cold water on your wrists in the summer.

Not exactly what you were looking for but I have this fresh on my mind so I thought I would mention it...

Make sure the grease in the gun is not too thick for the weather temperature. I learned last weekend in Ruidoso that I have to use oil below 30F on a 22 slide during practice instead of Slide Glide Lite. Slide Glide Lite on a 9mm or larger was OK, but this will be my first winter shooting in Midland and Ruidoso so I will learn. Carry some oil with you so that you can add some to the rails if you get a failure to feed or extraction problem due to the colder temperatures.

Joe

Very good point on the Slide Glide, something I almost forgot the last match I went to.

Hand Warmers are the greatest thing since black gum.

The tight fitting wicking layer next to your skin is a must.

Good quality rain gear (GoreTex or similar) is great for a lot more than keeping you dry in the rain. Good rain pants are light enough to fit under your belt, but still help keep the cool off your lower body while allowing freedom of movement.

If it is that rotten, sometimes you are better to just stay home and dry fire.

Gene

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in alaska we shoot 3 gun all year long outside and uspsa / idpa in a barely heated range. as many have said hand warmers help a lot. No one i know in Alaska uses grease. Depending on how extreme the weather is, we will just keep the coats and other gear on. The shock of taking your coat off can be very distracting. btw loading a shotgun on the timer at -30 with 30mph wind really sucks!

Gabe