Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cold weather shooting tips

Yep, big heavy coats and hand warmers! Go to Sam's club for the hand warmers. 28 pairs for less than $10.

OH, and I keep my muffs on at all times. keeps the ears warm.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

Not exactly what you were looking for but I have this fresh on my mind so I thought I would mention it...

Make sure the grease in the gun is not too thick for the weather temperature. I learned last weekend in Ruidoso that I have to use oil below 30F on a 22 slide during practice instead of Slide Glide Lite. Slide Glide Lite on a 9mm or larger was OK, but this will be my first winter shooting in Midland and Ruidoso so I will learn. Carry some oil with you so that you can add some to the rails if you get a failure to feed or extraction problem due to the colder temperatures.

Joe

Edited by Joe L

Not exactly what you were looking for but I have this fresh on my mind so I thought I would mention it...

Make sure the grease in the gun is not too thick for the weather temperature. I learned last weekend in Ruidoso that I have to use oil below 30F on a 22 slide during practice instead of Slide Glide Lite. Slide Glide Lite on a 9mm or larger was OK, but this will be my first winter shooting in Midland and Ruidoso so I will learn. Carry some oil with you so that you can add some to the rails if you get a failure to feed or extraction problem due to the colder temperatures.

Joe

Thanks. I hadn't even given a thought to lubrication as I assumed that all gun lubes/ oils would work in the cold. Will have to keep that nugget of info in mind over the next several months.

That's a long drive from Midland to Ruidoso.

Under Amour Cold Gear is your friend. They make (or made) three different levels of Cold Gear. I would start with this as a foundation layer. There is a sale of $10 off right now. It is expensive but worth it. I use their shirts when riding my bicycle. Think about 40 degree or colder weather and 15 mph wind. The UA stuff works great.

I also use a pair of Windstopper Gloves. This is a Gore product which also provides warmth and keeps out the wind.

And as the others have said, handwarmers and a good jacket.

It was -30°C when I did my black badge training course (IPSC Canada requires this 2-day course before you can compete). Jacket, hand warmers, Under Armour cold gear compression mock neck top as a base layer under a polo, winter running socks and Merrel goretex lined hiking boots.

Kept my earmuffs on all the time :) Not a hat person, but a toque (beanie for you Americans) would serve you well!

Best to dress in layers. Under Armour is a great product.

Jacket/coat come off to shoot stage.

For hands look in a large sporting goods store for the "pouch" you see

NFL quarterbacs using. Buckles around your waiste,swing it around to your back while shooting.

couple of hand warmers inside keeps both hands warm.100% better than gloves

MVZ

NFL quarterbacs using. Buckles around your waiste,swing it around to your back while shooting.

Interesting. I will look into that as I have an especially hard time keeping my hands warm (my core and legs always seem to be fine).

MVZ

I use one of these while deer hunting. Fantastic product.

If using hand warmers make sure you open them up and get them warming up before you are out in the cold. I try and remember to get them open before I leave the house to go to the range. Otherwise they just never seem to get that warm.

Up here in MA, we shoot through the winter. I've been down on my knees, picking up dropped rounds in the snow, on the clock.

As MVZ said, the key is layers. Long underwear. Warm boots. Flannel lined Carhartt pants really cut the wind: http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10051&productId=32065&langId=-1&categoryId=48236&top_category=10931

Turtleneck shirt. Heavyweight wool shirt that blocks the wind over that. Fleece zip up over that. Then a coat on top. Gloves and a hat. I take off the coat and fleece while I shoot. Handwarmers in your pockets. When it warms up during the day, you can shed a layer or two.

Edited by M1911

• 2 weeks later...

It was in the low 30s this weekend and I had a chance to try my new Columbia jacket. It is thin and light, 100% waterproof and has a titanium liner woven into it. The liner radiates heat back towards your body like a emergency blanket.

I'd call it the perfect jacket for colder temps. With under layers, I'd use it into the teens.

For cold weather I pick clothes that are thin but also wind resistant for when I am shooting the stage. Then I have a thick coat that I wear between stage runs. I like to use the Under Armour Cold Gear Long Sleeve Compression Mock. Then over that I like to use the Nike ACG long sleeve half zip over that. These two combined provide a great wind block on their own which keeps the bone chilling cold from sapping your dry as you run the stage. They are also not bulky or restricting which would inhibit your movement through the stage.

The main goal is to keep your head and hands warm. Get some hand warmers and gloves to keep your hands warm between stage runs. Once your hands get cold its hard to get them heated back up then you are stuck with frozen fingers while shooting a stage which isn't fun.

Lastly stay extra active. RO, Tape, Reset Steel, and Brass more when its cold. The extra body movement will generate heat and keep you warmer than standing still and shivering. Hell I have had to do jumping jacks and run around the berm before my stage runs some times to get warmed up to a point where the cold isn't on my mind and everything is heated up and ready to go.

When your hands get very cold... A SERE instructor told me to swing my arms in circles at a high rate of speed. It pulls nice warm blood to your frozen hands, allowing you to see great improvements in movement immediately. This helps warm up your muscles and it's free! Haha

My tip is wait for warm weather! I shoot for pleasure and shooting in the cold is no pleasure!

Actually I'm considering taking the plunge of getting an RV so I can follow the warm weather. My parents would spend there winter in Florida from November to April and I'm thinking of following their example. Just don't know how far south to go.

But in the mean time I've picked up some UA, hand warmers and mittens to place my gloved hands into. Got the shooting gloves and cut the gloves at the first knuckle of the trigger finger and thumb. Also going to try the arm swing Saturday as it makes perfect sense. Oh well time to go shovel snow.

Edited by West Texas Granny

I have not really done a lot of shooting outdoors in the winter, but this year I will go for the Under Armour stuff, hand warmers, hot chocolate, and fleece headband/fleece hat. I don't know though, I personally don't handle the cold very well.

I have not really done a lot of shooting outdoors in the winter, but this year I will go for the Under Armour stuff, hand warmers, hot chocolate, and fleece headband/fleece hat. I don't know though, I personally don't handle the cold very well.

You and me both ..... :) But I try to stock up on hand warmers when I see them on sale (usually around March or April), plenty of Under Armour gear, and just wear gloves up until it's time to shoot. But the cold weather isn't exactly ideal for your hands when trying to manipulate a pistol at high speed. It makes for some clunky reloads, and unavoidable trigger freezes at times.

Guys you don't want gloves. I wear a big pair of ski mittens loaded up with hand warmers. I take them off at make ready and wear them for just about everything else.

I wear the insulated 511 pants with under armor pants. I wear an under armor turtleneck a regular turtleneck and my jersey. I put a big ski jacket over that.

I have been wearing a leather winter boots with traction spikes strapped on. My ear muffs keep my ears warm and my ball cap.

Get a paster gun, so you don't have to take your gloves off to tape.

Use a small 4 wheel cart as a range cart. In addition to your shooting gear, put a small propane tank in it, with the camping heater that attaches to the tank.

Make sure your lube is going to work at the temp you are shooting.

Keep ammo and gun warm until you get to the range.

When your hands get very cold... A SERE instructor told me to swing my arms in circles at a high rate of speed. It pulls nice warm blood to your frozen hands, allowing you to see great improvements in movement immediately. This helps warm up your muscles and it's free! Haha

lol a friend of mine was a SERE instructor and that sounds just like something he would say. Those guys are just crazy