Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr MG Minor Load out of a G17

TH3180

I have been doing a lot of searching here and else where for a good minor load. I am using 147gr Montana Gold Bullets, Federal Primers and mainly Federal Brass out of a Gen4 G17. From what I have read. I don't want to go much below 135PF. Anything under that, the groups tend to open up at 50ft. For reloading books I have Speer, Hornady and Lyman. On the shelf right now I have Power Pistol, AA#7, Unique and Blue dot. I am not opposed to buying different powders, I just don't want to waste a bunch of money trying to figure this out. Right now my dies are set to have a OAL of 1.125". Any help you guys can give would be great.

Thanks

I have been doing a lot of searching here and else where for a good minor load. I am using 147gr Montana Gold Bullets, Federal Primers and mainly Federal Brass out of a Gen4 G17. From what I have read. I don't want to go much below 135PF. Anything under that, the groups tend to open up at 50ft. For reloading books I have Speer, Hornady and Lyman. On the shelf right now I have Power Pistol, AA#7, Unique and Blue dot. I am not opposed to buying different powders, I just don't want to waste a bunch of money trying to figure this out. Right now my dies are set to have a OAL of 1.125". Any help you guys can give would be great.

Thanks

WST 3.8 grns.

O.A.L. 1.100 (147 gr. MG/CMJ)

FED. S.P.PRIMERS

WW OR FED BRASS

130 PF OUT OF MY G34 WITH STOCK BARREL

15 LB. ISMI RECOIL SPRING WITH 3 COILS CUT OFF.

ACCURATE AND SHOOTS SOFT AND FLAT.

POWDER IS CLEAN AND SMELLS GOOD WHEN SHOOTING.

Edited by sweetback

It wont be the most economical (you'll use more grains of powder per round) but AA#7 should give good results with your 147gr bullets. 6.5-7.2gr should get you close to where you want to be. As always, check the manual, and work up your loads.

7.0 under a 147gr Hornady FMJ works well in my Glocks.

It wont be the most economical (you'll use more grains of powder per round) but AA#7 should give good results with your 147gr bullets. 6.5-7.2gr should get you close to where you want to be. As always, check the manual, and work up your loads.

For a guy starting out loading, this appears to be a good choice. A double charge would spill over and should not be missed...

For a guy starting out loading, this appears to be a good choice. A double charge would spill over and should not be missed...

I'm not 100% sure it would.

I does fill the case nicely, but #7 is a very fine ball type powder. It is nothing like some of the more bulky flake powders I've used (231, Universal Clays, Etc)...

My load with the same bullet in a G34 was 3.8gr of Solo 1000 for about 136PF. I had to bump up to 4.5gr when I switched to Lot #1930 that I'm almost finished with. Same accuracy, velocity and PF, just more powder in the case. No big deal really.

I've got 12lb's of N320 that I'm playing with now. But for 9mm, I think I still like Solo better.

Titegroup works well with that bullet also. I just like powders that take up a bit more room in the case.

My load is

147gr Plated

3.9gr/Unique

OAL = 1.125"

PF = 137000

This load is my competition load fired from a G17. It also runs my BHP very well.

My load with the same bullet in a G34 was 3.8gr of Solo 1000 for about 136PF. I had to bump up to 4.5gr when I switched to Lot #1930 that I'm almost finished with. Same accuracy, velocity and PF, just more powder in the case. No big deal really.

I've got 12lb's of N320 that I'm playing with now. But for 9mm, I think I still like Solo better.

Titegroup works well with that bullet also. I just like powders that take up a bit more room in the case.

I used N320 when I could get it.

My load was the same as mine in the quote but the powder was

3.7gr/N320

PF 131000 from my G17.

• 1 month later...

Might you have fps numbers noted that you could share?

Thanks