Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas star plans

I've built one, but there are (AFAIK) no plans or schematics out there.....

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106158&view=findpost&p=1426532&hl=home+made+texas&fromsearch=1

Thank you for sharing GrumpyOne. I have access to some materials and need to practice my Texas Star and steel plates... I need to make my own to go out and shoot when I can

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some challenges to building your own star.

Getting all of the plates the same weight. When one comes off it will be quicker to start spinning.

Fitting quality bearings. Sticky/ slow bearings will allow the shooters to clean the plates off before it can even start to move.

Installing an attachment system that holds the plate when the shot is close but takes the plate off when it hits it. Some of the best I have seen use a wide base that allows the plate to pivot with an edge hit, once one edge clears the holder the plate has almost no choice but to fall off. It also uses a heavy duty spring with a curved end. The resetter can slide the plate into position with one hand while holding the arm with the other.

Finally have the work done by someone that really knows how to weld. The arms will all take a beating so having quality welds will keep it from coming apart.

Not to sound like Johnny Raincloud, but, aren't the original designs patented property? Just a thought. And no, they are not hard to build if you have the stuff... I have 2 that I made. (I used different holders for the plates...)