Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First stage design Rack-naphobia

Freeborn Man

Hey everyone,

This is my first stage design, Rack-naphobia. I went through many versions before I settled on this one. What do you think? Anything I should be aware of or something I missed or needs to be changed? Does it look fun or something you would like to shoot? I appreciate all comments and criticisms.

I have the WSB as start facing up range, toes on Xs, hands above shoulders. Handgun loaded and holstered. Engage as and when visible within fault lines.

Matt

post-31009-0-54619600-1322292555_thumb.j

Edited by Freeborn Man

Personally I hate targets near barrels expecially moving one. If you feel they are safe, then you may want to start the swinger from behind the barrel or add to the WSB that the swinger may not be shot at before actication. Also at rest make sure it meets minimum requirements of APP B2. I would square off the fault line at the back to get the necessary 26' and maybe angle the walls to increse the difficulty of someone taking the poppers at that angle and possibly too short. About the poppers; perfectly aligned one behind the other poppers force a shooter to wait or for open shooters to drive them down with multiple shots which could cause a round to leave the range. Are the 4 targets on the right behind hard or soft cover? If hard cover, what is the degree of dificult for shorter shooters? If it is soft cover, then it needs to be mentioned in the WSB.

LeRoy,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, swinger will be started from behind the barrel. I just put it like that so I would know it was there lol. The four targets on the right are behind hard cover. Wall is around 3' tall. I really like your suggestions and here is a revision.

Thanks,

Matt

post-31009-0-13802100-1322325167_thumb.j

I like the revision since people are not going to be trying to run up to get closer to the plate rack. With the poppers spread they are less likely to be hammered trying to get to the back ones. Seems to be about the same amount of back-up for left & right handed shooters. Same amount of potential 180 problems getting to and from the plate rack fault line. I don't know your range surface but the shorter shooters will be shooting at more of a glance angle than the taller shooters. A hay bale behind each target or digging a hole will help stop ricochets.

I feel like there's too much of a 180 trap on the left and right sides of the COF. Yes, it's the shooter's responsibility to keep the muzzle in the 180, but the temptation will be there to be standing with the gun right on the D zone of the second to the most uprange target, and start indexing on the most uprange target while moving up to the position.

Definitely shooter's responsibility, but it maybe a tough call that some RO's may have to make.

It is not a stage designers responibility to spoon feed shooters their baby food. That stage is a good test of all the shooting skills including knowing where your muzzle is pointed. I feel sure that if you would send that drawing to Troy McMeanus he would find some time to offer you his opinion.

For clubs without the plate rack I would substitute pepper poppers in front with mini poppers behind or vice versa depending on expected skill levels.

• 4 weeks later...

Custom made for bay 5 or bay 7 Silver Creek Conservation Club. I spent 3 month's in south Texas summer of 08. I learned the true definition of freestyle stages from those south texas shooters( they are good shooters). Run & gun, know your position and your gun is your responsibility. They set up 180 traps in multiple positions on nearly every stage. You learned quickly muzzle control and position. I've adapted that into my stage design. Challenging for the R.O.'s but they love the run and gun as well as the shooters. Our match attendance is up from low 30's 3 yrs. ago to high 60's. Good job on this design.

Thanks Dave! I appreciate the comments. I've made a few more stages and I don't see how stage designers do it every week for us shooters. I've found a new level of respect for match directors and stage designers. I will try to come up with some that will be usable and help out where I can. For those that don't know, Dave puts on one hell of a match. He isn't kidding about his freestyle stages, they are FUN!!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like there's too much of a 180 trap on the left and right sides of the COF. Yes, it's the shooter's responsibility to keep the muzzle in the 180, but the temptation will be there to be standing with the gun right on the D zone of the second to the most uprange target, and start indexing on the most uprange target while moving up to the position.

Definitely shooter's responsibility, but it maybe a tough call that some RO's may have to make.

+2

It looks like maybe you can engage several targets from the starting position or very near the starting position. I may be looking at it wrong. Is the plate rack far enough back that nobody will engage it from the starting position?

edit- Looking a little closer, you have to move to the activator and the low wall, so there wouldn't be much point in trying to engage targets from the starting position anyway. I like it.

Edited by ArmdCtzn

I'd put up another wall between the poppers and the area downrange to prevent the poppers from being engaged down where you would shoot the plate rack. Force them to shoot poppers between the cracks in the uprange walls on right side.

Is your plate rack going to function reliably for all power factors, from every location from which it can be shot? Will the RO's be able to observe and call malfunctions when they occur?

I have seen very few plate racks that I would call acceptable for use in a USPSA stage. This is why I never use them in a stage.

Is your plate rack going to function reliably for all power factors, from every location from which it can be shot? Will the RO's be able to observe and call malfunctions when they occur?

I have seen very few plate racks that I would call acceptable for use in a USPSA stage. This is why I never use them in a stage.

Perhaps you need to check out the adjustable MGM plate rack. It can be set from .22 to 9MM with the turn of a bolt.

As Horace Greenly said "Go west young man".

...Perhaps you need to check out the adjustable MGM plate rack. It can be set from .22 to 9MM with the turn of a bolt.

As Horace Greenly said "Go west young man".

LOL :roflol: You can try to adjust your plate rack in the middle of a match. Seen it too many times. Not acceptable.

We use plates racks at almost every match we run at our home club. If you take the time to calibrate it to minor pf, just like PP's, you won't have any more issues than you would with USP's or PP's. Don't see any issue using the rack, i would be more concerned with the potential 180 issues with some shooters on this stage.

• 1 month later...

We got to shoot this stage today. Had to tweak it a little to fit the bay but I am happy with the way it turned out. As far as I know there were no DQs on this stage but the scores haven't been posted yet. Thanks to Dave Butler at SCCC for including this in his match!

Edited by Freeborn Man