Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lazy Man's match for next month

gino_aki

You know you've been designing stages for too long when your prime concern is ease of set-up and tear-down. For the VISSC guys, a peek at the 1 match we have next month.

6 IPSC Customer Service-Comstock.DOC

4 IPSC Two Out The Door, Two Down The Hall-Comstock.DOC

10 IPSC Box Office-Comstock.DOC

8 IPSC Boxed Standards-Virginia Multi String.DOC

10 IPSC Amazed...Or Not-Comstock.DOC

Edited by gino_aki

For "Amazed... or Not" the starting position with heels againsts XX's near T1 and T2. It looks like your intent was for the shooter to be facing uprange, but the way the WSB is written, the shooter could stand outside the shooting area facing downrange with heels against XX's and still comply with the WSB.

For "Box Office", you cannot forbid running through the doorway because:

2.3.1.1.b. The declaration of a Forbidden Action cannot be used as a means of compelling or limiting competitor movement within a course of fire (e.g., to prevent a shooter from “cutting the corner” on an L-shaped shooting area). Except as provided in Rule 1.1.5.1, a course designer wishing to compel or limit competitor movement must do so using target placement, vision barriers and/or physical barriers.

If you really want to prevent the use of the doorways, you have put up the necessary barriers 3 feet beyond the fault lines:

2.3.1.1.c. Subject to 2.3.1.1(a) and (B), an area of the range floor may be declared off limits. The area must be clearly delineated with Off-Limits Lines (Rule 2.2.1.3). Crossing an Off Limits Line is considered a Forbidden Action.

2.2.1.5 Off-Limits Lines may be used to define an area of the range floor which has been declared off-limits. The written stage briefing must identify the presence and location of Off-Limits Lines (if any). The off-limits area must be clearly delineated with rope, caution tape or other materials and must be at least 2 feet high and at least 2 feet from any Fault Line or Shooting Box. (See Rule 10.2.11)

For "Amazed... or Not" the starting position with heels againsts XX's near T1 and T2. It looks like your intent was for the shooter to be facing uprange, but the way the WSB is written, the shooter could stand outside the shooting area facing downrange with heels against XX's and still comply with the WSB.

For "Box Office", you cannot forbid running through the doorway because:

2.3.1.1.b. The declaration of a Forbidden Action cannot be used as a means of compelling or limiting competitor movement within a course of fire (e.g., to prevent a shooter from “cutting the corner” on an L-shaped shooting area). Except as provided in Rule 1.1.5.1, a course designer wishing to compel or limit competitor movement must do so using target placement, vision barriers and/or physical barriers.

If you really want to prevent the use of the doorways, you have put up the necessary barriers 3 feet beyond the fault lines:

2.3.1.1.c. Subject to 2.3.1.1(a) and (B), an area of the range floor may be declared off limits. The area must be clearly delineated with Off-Limits Lines (Rule 2.2.1.3). Crossing an Off Limits Line is considered a Forbidden Action.

2.2.1.5 Off-Limits Lines may be used to define an area of the range floor which has been declared off-limits. The written stage briefing must identify the presence and location of Off-Limits Lines (if any). The off-limits area must be clearly delineated with rope, caution tape or other materials and must be at least 2 feet high and at least 2 feet from any Fault Line or Shooting Box. (See Rule 10.2.11)

I was actually going to let people run through the target area but decided against it for safety reasons as the trip wire for the drop turner will be across the shooter's path and could cause a fall as well as activation of the targets in a non designated way. I believe that's covered in Rule 2.3.1.1 a.

If the shooter wants to stand facing uprange at the rear fault line marks on "Amazed...Or Not" I've got no problem with that other than to ask "Uh, why?" Same if he/she wants to face downrange at the upper left-hand marks. If they don't get their feet right by the time they're shooting it'll be foot faults. No biggie.

If you want to get a little lazier, on Stage 4,

have only four targets and one box - same number

of shots - same COF, but half the number of

targets:)

Looks like a challenging shoot to me, especially

with those head shots.

Good luck with it.

Jack

Although the picture doesn't quite show it the targets are staggered inwards towards the centerline between the two boxes so that there is some left to right and right to left transitions, and I put up two shooting boxes so shooters could pick which direction and target order they wanted to use for both strings.

What are you guys using to make such great stage drawings??

Basically Powerpoint and Word. Here is my main template for the Powerpoint objects...each time I draw something I think I'll use again I save it to a slide. The two blank ones at the bottom are my work areas. Once I have the stage presentation slide the way I want it I delete all the slides but that one and "Save As...(Insert stage name here.)"

1 Stage Designer.ppt

For the actual stage sheets I used the formatting from these Word documents that've been floating around the USPSA for some time now, I can't remember who originally designed it. As I've designed stages and added and deleted stuff like number of targets, scoring method penalties, headers, footers, etc I name each document with the stage title and how many and what kind of targets and scoring method so that I don't have to make the scoresheets from scratch every time.

COMSTOCK.DOC

VIRGINIA.DOC

Edited by gino_aki

• 2 weeks later...

"The Turtle King" has all targets visible from a single view/location which is not allow in a Medium course (1.2.1.2). Make it only one mandatory reload, and I think it'll be legal as a Speed Shoot.

I like "The King, The Queen, The Orcs, and the The Orb" and "All the King's Men". Nice Speed Shoot and Short course. I hope that you don't mind if I borrow them.

"Pythagorean Bill" has all targets visible from a single view/location which is not allowed in a Medium course (1.2.1.2) I would try hiding the center paper from the start position using barrels or a wall, and it should be legal.

"The Turtle King" has all targets visible from a single view/location which is not allow in a Medium course (1.2.1.2). Make it only one mandatory reload, and I think it'll be legal as a Speed Shoot.

I like "The King, The Queen, The Orcs, and the The Orb" and "All the King's Men". Nice Speed Shoot and Short course. I hope that you don't mind if I borrow them.

"Pythagorean Bill" has all targets visible from a single view/location which is not allowed in a Medium course (1.2.1.2) I would try hiding the center paper from the start position using barrels or a wall, and it should be legal.

This is an Ukumehame Firing Range windy day match where the target stands, never mind the walls and barrels have an iffy chance of remaining upright throughout a competitor's run, let alone all day...so I'll have to trade a bit of legality for being able to shoot at all.

This is an Ukumehame Firing Range windy day match where the target stands, never mind the walls and barrels have an iffy chance of remaining upright throughout a competitor's run, let alone all day...so I'll have to trade a bit of legality for being able to shoot at all.

Yup... We do what we can to try to get everybody some fun shooting. I'm quite sure your shooters appreciate what you do to let them have some fun despite the weather not cooperating.

if they stay back then there are several spots were they cannot completely see the shooter in areas where they could be breaking the 180....

If the shooter breaks the 180 the RO will have a good look if he stays back. :surprise:

As the shooter I don't thing I would go down to the end. ship over the fault line and stay at the back of the walls. As long as you don't shoot out side of the shooting area.

Brent

Our walls are all two by two's and 1 1/2 inch plastic diamond mesh 10 feet long. R.O.'s on these kinda stages either stay back along the ends of the walls or follow shooter up and down adjacent hallways since they can see through the walls pretty clearly what shooter is doing....but they still have to be on their toes.

On another note, we didn't even get to shoot the "Lazy Man's Windy Day Match" because the wind wasn't just kicking up it was howling through the range like an enraged banshee. 20 to 30 mph and 40 mph gusts. We ended up sitting in the classroom and shooting nothing but bull. This is like the third IPSC match in a row canceled due to wind :angry2: . The guys are desperate enough that they readily agreed to shoot this match on Monday the 26th, if they have the day off.

Edited by gino_aki