Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a quality Bomar rear sight

sperman

Kensight(Keng) crimps the front pin in place, I've installed 100's of these since Bo-mar closed down. No problems to speak of, they also make many companies name branded sights. The next one would be the SV then the Wilson.

Rich

Who makes a rear sight for the Bomar cut that is 100% reliable? I've used 3 different brands, and on 2 of them the front pins walks out, the 3rd is a different design but has its own set of issues.

Thanks,

You forgot to mention the pins breaking. The cure I found was making a pin from a piece of AR15 buffer spring, don't walk and don't break.

Kensight(Keng) crimps the front pin in place, I've installed 100's of these since Bo-mar closed down. No problems to speak of, they also make many companies name branded sights. The next one would be the SV then the Wilson.

Rich

They are not bad for the money, my father had one put on his 1911, and it was pretty stout looking. Ed Brown is a pretty robust sight also.

another cure for the pin issue, is to stake it on both sides, so that it doesn't walk out on you

buffer tube spring.... hmm, interesting!

Rich

I'll check out the Kensight. I'm also going to talk to Brandon about the SV sights. They seem to do a good job of producing quality parts. I'm pretty sure Wilson is one of the brands I've tried and the pin walked out on me. (I know the other 2 that have given me problems are Dawon and Tripp.)

Never had a problem with the Infinity BO-MAR cut sight. NOS BO-MAR sights do turn up for sale here and on other sites from month to month. Not sure, Baer might make their own sights and have never had a problem with those.

Edited by m1normando

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to give the SVI a try. SVI deicded to use a screw at the front instead of a pin. After only 1 match, the screw was starting to back out. The search continues.

Red LOC TITE!

The replacement sight I bought was made by Champion (out of Atl, GA I think), seems to be holding up, no pins walking.

Who makes a rear sight for the Bomar cut that is 100% reliable?

I don't have any personal experience with them but I have heard some good things about the Tripp (Bo-Mar Style) rear sight.

do a search on tripps.

I don't think the Tripp fits the Bomar cut...

I have five of the Tripp K-1 sights on guns in my safe. I'm searching for something different. I'll let you read between the lines.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have exactly ZERO experience with them but I had considered getting a set so, if you don't me asking, is there something in particular you don't like about them?

Yes, the K-1 Tripp is designed for the Bo-Mar sight cut.

Cy, if you do a search of the forums, you will find the answer to your question. I would like to keep this thread focused on quality sights that fit the Bo-mar cut.

I have three guns with SVI sight, no problem. Two of them have been upgraded to SVI with fiber rear sights, no problem.

So overall, Ive used 5 SVI sights with no problem.... Used on Limited 40 with major load.

So try a new SVI. And if a new SVI sight gives you problems, then Brandon is very helpful.

I usually also say, if the same thing hapens with a lot of different manufactors, maybe the reason lies somewhere else...

Hello: I have used the Champion rear sight and it works and fits well. I have also used the Tripp rear sights and have 2 more coming. I am going to try the Dawson rear sight next since I use his front sights and never had a problem with them. Thanks, Eric

I have the Wilson and it's a well made, robust sight. I'd buy another without hesitation.

The Wilson's has a windage screw thats a little oversized, and takes away from the metal available for the body, So I believe strength is compromised. Ive seen one break right behind the screw. I know its not a huge sample size, but I think its an issue.

Scott...FWIW. The Kensight (LPA cut) on my Shadow Target has had the pin walking-out issue. The windage pin still walks out maybe 1/8" after shooting a match, but no damage thus far. I did have another issue (search in CZ forum if interested), but will keep this thread on topic.

I'm still hopeful the Gen 2 of Tripp K-1 will come through.

I usually also say, if the same thing hapens with a lot of different manufactors, maybe the reason lies somewhere else...

I've thought about that possibility, but I really can't see how I could be doing anything to cause problems with the rear sight.

The SVI I purchased was brand new, and after one match the screw was backing out. I will contact Brandon and see what he says.

Wilson pins don't back out, but they break.

The best I've found are the Caspians. The rear notch is a little wider than most, at about .128" rather than the more traditional .115", but the pins don't walk and they last well. I've always opened my rears up to .125"-.130", so they work out perfectly for me.