Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Jame Gumb

Caspian Double Stack

Hey all!

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to IDPA and was wondering if my 5" Caspian double stack is legal to shoot in any division? I've been borrowing a S&W M&P but would like to use my own gun.

Thank You

Definitely not legal in SSP. Possibly legal in ESP and CDP depending on caliber, modifications, and/or weight. Read rules on IDPA.com

What caliber?

In 45 and if it meets the weight requirement and loaded to 8+1 you could use it in CDP.

Any other caliber and if it meets the weight requirement, ESP loaded to 10+1.

Mine has a few aluminum parts (ms housing,beavertail and guiderod)and it makes weight easily without the mag. The mag in the gun is the issue. A little over 1.4 oz overweight and I just don't see where I can shave any more weight off the total package.

I'm surprised it's that heavy. Does it make weight without the grips? You can also take weight out from the frame under where the grips go. You can also flat top or tri-top the slide...takes a bit of weight out but not considered slide lightening by the powers that be.

What mag basepads are you using?

Edited by waktasz

Mine has a few aluminum parts (ms housing,beavertail and guiderod)and it makes weight easily without the mag. The mag in the gun is the issue. A little over 1.4 oz overweight and I just don't see where I can shave any more weight off the total package.

How about using a delrin full length guide rod, plastic main spring housing and instead of the grip panels use grip tape instead?

Not sure if using those parts would be legal or not.

Other things to look for and may be issues with weight are:

Bull barrel. Not allowed, has to have a bushing

Full Length Dust Cover: Not allowed.

Dimensions

Removing or disabling a safety.

kr

The Caspian MSH is proprietary so good luck finding a plastic one.

Eeewww. There goes that idea.

They do make a titanium one...but if he already has aluminum in there I don't know if he will gain anything there. That being said, I don't see an aluminum one on their site.Are you sure that's what you have?

Other things to look for and may be issues with weight are:Bull barrel. Not allowed, has to have a bushingFull Length Dust Cover: Not allowed.DimensionsRemoving or disabling a safety.kr

A bull barrel of less than 4.1" along with a slide that goes with it is still legal correct?

They did make an aluminum grip saftey and an aluminum msh, not sure if they still do.

Which version of the mags are you using? I wonder if the old style is any lighter?

You could probably lose some weight out of the front strap as well (maybe slot it internaly if that is allowed dont know what the rules say about that these days so best check first).

A bull barrel of less than 4.1" along with a slide that goes with it is still legal correct?

Yes, 4.2" or less, if you meet all the other criteria.

kr

I am running grip tape, flat top slide and the ms housing is AL. I'm using new style mag with tactical pad. It's the mag is the problem. I wonder if Hennings basepads are made from the same material that Beven uses? Might lose some weight there. One can only hope the Tiger Teams will address weight issues.