Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock after-market barrels for chamber support, feeding

SirLoin

Am I missing something? I have shot 1000s of trouble free reloads through all of my Glock with stock barrels. I shoot BBI moly coated bullets, lead would be the only reason I would not use the stock barrel. Save the $100+ and by more bullets. :cheers:

I fitted a "Gunsmith fit" KKM to a friends .40 Glock and the chamber was too short after fitting the hood properly. Was sent back to KKM with a sample round (less primer and powder) and was chambered by them perfectly. Quite a bit more accurate than the stock barrel and the Lone Wolf that was replaced by. Obviously, the fitted barrel is going to be better than the "drop in" as all the important points are tighter.

Am I missing something? I have shot 1000s of trouble free reloads through all of my Glock with stock barrels. I shoot BBI moly coated bullets, lead would be the only reason I would not use the stock barrel. Save the $100+ and by more bullets. :cheers:

My brother ran 1000's of reloads thru his Glock 35 as well, but at or around #15000, his barrell is gone as well as the rest of the gun. I am not saying that it will happen, just that it does happen. When his chamber went, it took the rest of the gun with it. No warranty, but Glock did exchange for a new gun for Aproximately $400(I do not know total with shipping).

Pistol pressures range between 17,000 and 40,000 psi whereas rifle pressures run between 45,000 and 65,000psi. I would prefer a pistol barrel made out of material to handle the higher pressures.

Just my opinion.

Randy

My brother ran 1000's of reloads thru his Glock 35 as well, but at or around #15000, his barrell is gone as well as the rest of the gun.

Huh?!? My first G35 has about 90K on it and the stock barrel is fine with a shiney chamber. Most of those rounds were with the old PF and I ran right about 176.

I've been happy with my KKM (Gunsmith fit model). The G35 is more accurate than before and I don't have that damn bulge. As long as I pay attention to overall length it's reliable in feeding. I'm not a Glock fan but the KKM has made it acceptable.

I like the extra support in the chamber, but I have no data to say the stock version is unsafe. I'm guessing they weren't designed to run brass from multiple reloads.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who's voted so far. Based on ~125 votes:

1) Bar-Sto looks like the best barrel for providing chamber support and reliability. Everyone who's tried a Bar-Sto - even if they've tried other barrels - believe it's the best.

2) Of the folks who've tried a KKM barrel, 75% think it's the best when it comes to chamber support and reliability. Thus, 1 in every 4 people who've tried KKM thinks that there's a better barrel in the market.

3) Of the folks who've tried a Lone Wolf barrel, only around half think it's the best when it comes to chamber support and reliability.

Bar-Sto, KKM, and Lone Wolf are ranked in the same way that they're priced: the most expensive one, the Bar-Sto, gets the highest ratings, while the Lone Wolf, the cheapest of the three, is also the least reliable. KKM is in the middle with regard to price and performance.

This is great because if you’re willing to spend more, you’ll get a better barrel (vs other products where the most expensive brand isn’t always the best product).

I’ve bought a KKM based on the results of this poll, so I’m already putting your input to use. Thanks again to everyone!

I got BarSto's for my 17, 34 and 35.

I think one of them is sitting in a box in my shop. The other two I sold. The stock barrels have worked as well or better than the aftermarket bbls for moth major and minor PF, with equal accuracy. The one case where the BarSto was better was with Bear Creek 147's, I would get tumbling out of the stock bbl. Unfortunately, I got bad moly build up in the aftermkt bbl that would turn my 17 into a jam-o-matic after about 50 rounds. So I went to a different brand of moly bullet that was fine out of the stock 17 and 34 bbls (Precision).

I had 2 kkm barrels and one shot good, and the other shot lousy. When I called kkm and told them that my groups were big, they told me that it was me flinching. lol, so I sold both barrels.

I have very happy with my 2 gunsmith fitted Briley barrels, when I shoot the gun, My brass shows no indication of a bulge, in fact when I run it through my sizer its like I am reloading brass fired from a 2011. also the Briley barrel was much faster than the kkm barrels, so I was able to decrease my powder charge. The accuracy was far supperior to the kkm barrel, I killed a fly at 15 yards with my .40cal. lol

Just bought a KKM drop in barrel and with my Berry's reload's it shot like poo-poo! BIG groups and inconsistent accuracy. Threw my Lone Wolf barrel back in and was back to my normal tight groups.

I don't suggest KKM....too inconsistent.

• 1 year later...

I have been shooting since age eight,Mom taught me.Have 60+ hand guns by now,got a G-20 several years ago.Less than a dozen cast rounds thru it and it blew up,flames belched down mag well and set off two more rounds.Five blue bleeders in my shooting hand and months later had to have sliver of poly surgically removed from same hand.Glock replaced the gun and told me never buy another product from them.Now I'm scared as all get out to shoot it.Thats why I investigate after market barrel.Appreciate all input,thanks.P.S. I load from .380 to 45/70 three blue machines and a green one.

Edited by zozaa9

Zozaa9, youve certainly resurrected an oldie here but I will put in my two cents worth. I bought a 35 a few years back that came with a fitted KKM barrel. The gun would not feed reliably with my either of my bullets & loads. I wound up lowering the feed ramp & polishing it all & now it runs like a charm. Now of course it has less support than it originally came with but the thing does run, all day everyday. Doesn't seen to bulge brass even with less support. It is pretty accurate but is starting to show signs of wear in rifling. I will have to eventually replace it so that is why I read this post. Not sure I want another KKM, though. This definitely has given me food for thought.

MLM

• 8 months later...