Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock after-market barrels for chamber support, feeding

SirLoin

Folks,

I decided to get an after-market fully-supported barrel for my Glock 35 .40 S&W after reading Brian’s post on how “SAAMI specs indicate that a 40 S&W chamber should have a fully supported chamber (due to the round's high pressure), but Glock chose to ignore that for their 40 caliber barrels, because it makes the gun easier to feed more reliably.”

After going blind reading ~every single post on these forums on Glock after-market barrels, I haven’t seen consensus on which is the best one to get, mostly I think due to a couple of reasons:

• People only have experience with only one type of after-market barrel

• People pick an after-market barrel for different, personal reasons (e.g., some folks look for best for chamber support; some look for which feeds most reliably; etc.)

With that in mind, I’ve started this poll, with the hope of collecting and synthesizing the combined decades of shooting expertise of the members on this site.

Could you please participate in this poll? The polls are limited to three questions, so I’ve focused on the two questions – chamber support and reliability of feeding – where there isn’t consensus (accuracy seems to be a wash; cost is readily available info). The first question is what you’ve used, as opinions of folks who’ve tried more than one barrel are particularly helpful.

Please feel free to post as to what your favorite barrel is, and why. While that’s a personal preference, it will help myself and others balance the different considerations: chamber support vs feeding vs cost or value vs accuracy.

Thanks!

Yes, SAAMI specs indicate that a 40 S&W chamber should have a fully supported chamber (due to the round's high pressure), but Glock chose to ignore that for their 40 caliber barrels, because it makes the gun easier to feed more reliably.

:angry2:

Edited by SirLoin

I amone of those guys that really doesn't qualify to pick which is best, because I only have experience with the stock barrel and the Lone Wolf barrel. I shoot the same loads in my Glock 24 with the Lone wolf barrel as I shot in the factory barrel. They both seem to shoot equally as accurate,m and neither had any problem feeding. I went to the Lone Wolf barrel because the Precision moly bullets I shoot would crud up the barrel after awhile. when I would shoot no more than a couple of hundred rounds a day it was not a problem. As I began shooting more, it began to be a chore to clean the stock barrel. The stainless LWD barrel seems to be acurate and is way easier to get clean. It normally only takes a few minutes to clean the barrel.

I know this does not answer you question, but this is the best I can do, based upon my lack of experience with the other barrels.

Thanks for the input, Biloxi23.

I amone of those guys that really doesn't qualify to pick which is best, because I only have experience with the stock barrel and the Lone Wolf barrel. I shoot the same loads in my Glock 24 with the Lone wolf barrel as I shot in the factory barrel. They both seem to shoot equally as accurate,m and neither had any problem feeding. I went to the Lone Wolf barrel because the Precision moly bullets I shoot would crud up the barrel after awhile. when I would shoot no more than a couple of hundred rounds a day it was not a problem. As I began shooting more, it began to be a chore to clean the stock barrel. The stainless LWD barrel seems to be acurate and is way easier to get clean. It normally only takes a few minutes to clean the barrel.

I know this does not answer you question, but this is the best I can do, based upon my lack of experience with the other barrels.

First, NO Glock barrel is fully supported. Second, tightness and finish of the chamber have a larger impact on reliability than the small differences in the support @ the 6 o' clock position. Third, accuracy depends on a lot of factors and a poll won't separate this out. Fourth, and maybe most important, what is your reason to get am aftermarket. Fifth, your statement that Glock "ignored" something is inaccurate.

I've tried them all and curently own them all. I've performed metallurgical and accuracy tests on them all as well, some on my own, some as a paid professional/expert.

I've put close to 25k rounds through my KKM and like it just fine. The throat is pretty tight so the TC moly bullets sometimes fit pretty snug but all RN molys and all jacketed bullets are slick as butter. The chamber is pretty tight too so when I reload there isn't much effort in resizing the brass.

If I had to buy another barrel it would be a Lone Wolf because it is cheaper and I have not heard anything bad about them.

Third, accuracy depends on a lot of factors and a poll won't separate this out.

Yes. That's why accuracy is not part of the poll.

Fourth, and maybe most important, what is your reason to get am aftermarket.

Better chamber support so that the brass lasts longer (and hopefully, less risks of KBs), without compromising feeding reliability.

Fifth, your statement that Glock "ignored" something is inaccurate.

That's not my statement. Please reread the post - that was a statement by Ghost Dog / Brian Enos.

That you are using the statement implies you believe it. All the SAAMI stuff, as it relates to maximum pressure has some validity. However current PF results in pressure that is pretty low so this is largely mitigated in handloads. A KB is a gross over-pressure and has nothing to do with case support. Case head separation is an issue related to overworked brass.

When you move the case support out, you must sharpen the angle and reliability decreases.

Interesting, DoubleA. Looking at the input of the 15 people who have voted so far in the poll, it's interesting that KKM isn't a clear-cut winner in terms of people who've tried them - most of the threads I had read here at be.com about aftermarket barrels reference KKM, so it'll probably go up as more people vote.

If I had to buy another barrel it would be a Lone Wolf because it is cheaper and I have not heard anything bad about them.

It's not a 40 so I don't know how it compares but the KKM I bought for my 34 has a short lead and I had to shorten the OAL to chamber 130gr BBI bullets. The Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel for my 24 lets me load as long as the Glock 9mm barrel. But neither have the accuracy of a fitted Bar-Sto barrel in an XD-9 Tactical. I think I may try a fitted Jarvis next.

I had 2 kkm barrels and one shot good, and the other shot lousy. When I called kkm and told them that my groups were big, they told me that it was me flinching. lol, so I sold both barrels.

I have very happy with my 2 gunsmith fitted Briley barrels, when I shoot the gun, My brass shows no indication of a bulge, in fact when I run it through my sizer its like I am reloading brass fired from a 2011. also the Briley barrel was much faster than the kkm barrels, so I was able to decrease my powder charge. The accuracy was far supperior to the kkm barrel, I killed a fly at 15 yards with my .40cal. lol

I had 2 kkm barrels and one shot good, and the other shot lousy. When I called kkm and told them that my groups were big, they told me that it was me flinching. lol, so I sold both barrels.

I have very happy with my 2 gunsmith fitted Briley barrels, when I shoot the gun, My brass shows no indication of a bulge, in fact when I run it through my sizer its like I am reloading brass fired from a 2011. also the Briley barrel was much faster than the kkm barrels, so I was able to decrease my powder charge. The accuracy was far supperior to the kkm barrel, I killed a fly at 15 yards with my .40cal. lol

I know it is contrary to most of what I've read, but my Lone Barrel chrono's consistently faster than my stocl Glock barrel wtih teh same loads. For example, at teh first match I shot with teh LWD barrel, the match chrono registered my loads at a PF of 179. I had consistently chrono'd the same load at 169-170 for almost a year from the stock barrel. After the match I again chrono's the load with both barrels and confirmed that the LWD barrel seems to shoot faster. this may be due to teh barrel being reamed to my loads making it be more efficient. I'm loading to 1.135.

I have had Bill jarvis fit his barrels to my competition glocks, and they run 100%. Bill is really easy to deal with. It helps that his shop is only 45 minutes south of me. All of his barrels are made of rifle barrel stock, and they hold up very well.

Randy

KKM is a much nicer barrel then the LW. BUT, if I shot jacketed bullets I would use a Glock Barrel. 1000%. No doubt about it.

+1000. The only reason aftermarket is lead bullets for me. The factory barrel is just as accurate . The KKM fits tighter . The LW , on one G34 I saw, had a loose fit on the upper lock-up . I'll try to post a pix tomorrow. You can actually see a gap.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has voted so far.

So far, it looks like everyone who's used a Bar-Sto thinks it's the best in terms of chamber support and feeding reliability.

KKM and Lone Wolf are pretty close to each other. Would be good to see how the numbers/results change as more people vote.

I have had Bill jarvis fit his barrels to my competition glocks, and they run 100%. Bill is really easy to deal with. It helps that his shop is only 45 minutes south of me. All of his barrels are made of rifle barrel stock, and they hold up very well.

Randy

Randy

I didn't really need to hear this from you, now you are going to cost me more money next spring. I know it is the Indian and not the arrow but a better arrow can't hurt.

Instead of support, I would see this as a hardness and or accuracy issue. The aftermarket barrel might have less issues with used brass, especially in a higher pressure cartridge like 40.

My brother just had the chamber on his Glock 35 come apart with a factory barrel, and I would not have expected the same issue with a harder barrel material designed for higher pressures.

Also, I have had a factory Glock 34 barrel that shot like dog shit, installed an aftermarket barrel, and now it is a tack driver.

Randy

Hey Duane,

I saw this pic a few weeks ago. It's not the same thing as physically inspecting them though.

Before you think you need an aftermarket barrel for "the extra case support" I would suggest actually comparing the amount of case support between aftermarket and the Glock factory barrel. You might find it an eye opening experience. :surprise:

post-33183-0-65423700-1321922393_thumb.j

Would be nice if they were .40 S&W barrels, since that's what we're discussing here.

Yes, the metrics 9mm and 10mm sit in the same barrel blanks as the .40 and .45 respectively. The support is not the same.