Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

32 Round Hose Fest

Mark R

that looks neat.

I am ASSuming that was done with google sketch up.

Just how hard is it or how long does it take to learn sketch up?

It takes too long at the range to do the actual set up of the stage based off the diagrams I put together in MS Word.

I am thinking it might actually be better for me/us to put the stages up at the range and then draw the diagrams based off of that.

If it becomes too much of a hassle...IIRC, from when I have shot a few club matches at PASA Park, the WSB is just a piece of notebook paper handwritten "hands on X's, shoot 'em as you see 'em, X amount of rounds, Y amount of points" and that's it.

You are correct Chills...google sketchup. Take a bit to understand and get used to using, but if you go through the tutorials up on Google Sketchup web site, it makes it a lot easier to learn. I have a sketchup templete posted on the forum here, and all I do is open it, drag props to spot I want them, rotate them if needed, and delete the rest.

Just how hard is it or how long does it take to learn sketch up?

It took me designing 3 or 4 stages to feel comfortable in sketchup and now I can't imagine using anything else. There are a lot of sketchup users here (like Mark R) who are pretty free with advise and help while you're learning. I like being able to give people my printout and know that the stage they setup will actually resemble the stage I had in mind. Makes setup a lot easier when all I have to do is a minor tweak of the sightlines on match day!

BB

Nothing about the sketch which I like but for stacked targets you probably should have a hard cover break between targets to prevent an edge hit from scoring on both targets.

Nice stage--might run it when the rains stop next year sometime. Is there any particular problem with an edge hit scoring on both

targets?

Here's a fix to the stacked target problem. I've added it to my template file and will update the template file in the Sketchup thread.

I've added it to a new Template file in my Sketchup collection on Google Warehouse...

ACCOUNT COLLECTION: DVCMarkR

TITLE: USPSA Stage Design Template

post-15700-0-40290900-1321801188_thumb.j

Edited by Mark R

Nothing about the sketch which I like but for stacked targets you probably should have a hard cover break between targets to prevent an edge hit from scoring on both targets.

Nice stage--might run it when the rains stop next year sometime. Is there any particular problem with an edge hit scoring on both

targets?

Could be if a hit overlaps two scoring zones. In this case the front target was at the A zone of the back target. So a shot that hit the perf of the front and back targets would have scored on both. So if there was only say an A & D somewhere else, where did the other shot land? It's not a Mike because you have 4 scoring hits even though it was with only 3 shots.

The revised drawing is one way, the other is to run a piece of black tape on the under target to create hardcover wide enough so a bullet can not score on both.

• 1 month later...

Put the bottom target upside down and leave a good 1/2" between the two targets.

Here's another I just came up with to use at my next match...enjoy.

i'll be using this one at out next (first Sat Feb '12) match. thanx!

Feel free to... FYI...I had to remove the fault lines behind the front stacked targets. The lower target was a shoot through on the fault lines. To fix this...use a waist level off-limit lines keep competitors inside the shooting area. I briefed an imaginary line at walkthrough, but still had shooters wanting to go up in area where fault lines were removed to shoot top targets behind walls.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, did you ever release the sketch to the 3d warehouse, just looked and couldn't find it from you? Would like to see it in sketchup if possible?

Thanks,

Alan

Do a search now for DVCMarkR...it's in my collection now. Thought I put it up there earlier, but must have forgot. Putting some new ones up there too today.

• 3 weeks later...

start anywhere outside of fault lines, is that even a legal start position.? haha

Yep...FREESTYLE!!!!

Edited to add: It allows the shooter to solve the start.

Edited by Mark R

Yep, legal for WSB to state the start position as being outside the shooting area. At least the USPSA interpretation of things.

I've not done any personal research, but as was being explained to me by some Canadian brethren, one of the IPSC interpretations was that if there was a shooting area the start position also had to be inside the shooting area. But then that was also in relation to the older rules that used to included "charge lines".