Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3-gun nationals

I just got recruited onto the setup crew. If I have any control over it, I will do my best to ensure the rifle targets are visible behind iron sights. :)

I am hauling most of our clubs rifle steel up over the hill this weekend to give to Monte for the US3G

Do whatever you can to get the new flashers from Robert Wright (R&R Racing). Our R&R rifle poppers are the right kind to accept the new bolt-on flashers. They rule! Buffy is looking into getting some from R&R.

Do whatever you can to get the new flashers from Robert Wright (R&R Racing)

I talked with Buffy and we decided that it was best to send the (4) MGM Flash Targets and the two R&R style dual Benzick re-setters because they are a lot heavier duty than the new R&R single targets we just got which Buff says will be reserved for pistol, or rifle only at 200 and beyond. We both felt the other stuff would hold up better through six days of real hard use and still come home ready to rock.

I gave it all a good tighten up, hardware replace as needed and pumped fresh grease into the flasher spindles (they really flash easily now). It’s all stacked and ready to go in the back of my shop. I am going to give it all a thorough go over again after I haul it back from the match. Monte thinks he can get some extra R&R indicators he bought to work on our Benzick dual targets and if he does I will buy them from him for the club.

just got recruited onto the setup crew. If I have any control over it, I will do my best to ensure the rifle targets are visible behind iron sights

Don’t make my recent mistake and put anything against a berm that changes color when in shade or sun without putting contrasting paper behind it (i.e. white non-scoring NS behind black painted flash target etc.) The black target color I used at the long gun match was fine when the sun was on the light tan berm behind them, but when it got into deep shadow, sheesh! I shot that stage at 4pm when the berm looked pitch black and still don’t understand how I got second on it. The only way to see the Benzick dual targets at all was to throw a shot so the dust would silhouette them then shoot fast before the dust settled and they disappeared into the berm again. The MGM flashers were doeable by centering on the white masker card and holding a foot below, but the dual poppers were really nasty without a mike to kick up the dust.

If I get out of work responsibility on the 22nd & 23rd and actually get to shoot the MOR, I volunteered my help on the 23rd for whatever might be needed figuring that if I’m in town I might as well find a way to work too hard if at all possible <_<

--

George (the glutton for punishment) out

Those dual US Poppers are impossible to spot and should only be used at short range, or with flashers of unique colors. At 185-200y I could tell I hit one, but not which one. Imagine the hell of an RO calling a hit and then the shooter re-engaging the same target.

Oh boy, I'm working a complicated all-3-guns stage with BDH and Jay Worden.

Couple of things to pack/think about when you're in Reno this weekend:

- We've been getting alternating low's and high's coming through northern California/Reno the last couple of days. So, expect early morning to mid-morning to be a little chilly but warming to high 80's to low 90's by the afternoon. Too, it can cool off rather quickly in the early evening. Pack a wind breaker and/or light "rain" suit.

- Too, I know this happens when I (and other folks) go to Tahoe, but altitude tends to "affect" people in odd ways. So, couple of quick tips. STAY HYDRATED!!! It is really easy to get dehydrated without knowing it, as it's going to be warm, and you're at altitude (~4,600 feet). Too, coffee and alcohol tend to do odd things to people at altitude, so be aware and keep your bearing.

- If you're asthematic, make sure you bring extra inhalers, medicine, etc.

- Pack sunblock!

- Pack snacks in your bag. You're going to be on the range shooting 6 stages for the first two days. While there is food on the range, y'all know IPSC is very much, get there early and wait. So keep hydrated, keep your sugar levels up and you'll shoot much better and probably much more pleasant to be around. :D

- Lastly. Have fun! The staff and especially Match Director/Stage design/contruction crew have busted their ass in getting this together. From what I can see the attendance numbers are way up from what they have ever been and so if you see a member of the match staff, particularly MONTE, shake his hand and give him and them a thanks.

Rich

P.S. There will be donuts of Stage 15 for the shooters on all three days! If I can find a Krispy Kreme, I'll bring those (yeah I want to see everyone shoot well hopped up on sugar)....I'm kidding, but there will be donuts.

Kurt,

I'm working on that one right now. However, if y'all get there on Thursday afternoon, I imagine the public range (which I believe goes to 200) will be open. I'm calling Monte tonight and will confirm later today on here.

Great point. Not only from the luggage monkeys drop kicking your bags everywhere, but you're at 4,600 feet +/- and bullets fly a little better. :D

Rich

Oh boy, I'm working a complicated all-3-guns stage with BDH and Jay Worden.

First, this will be a BLAST! :D Second, do you know which stage we are actually on, as I would like to think through it on my flight out? I know we are listed as Stage 7 on the staff list, but on the USPSA website there is NO stage 7 listed (apparently, they are all listed by primary gun...). :huh:

Looking forward to working with you, and my old buddy and L1 Instructor Jay (as I have NEVER had an opportunity to work with him)!! I am pretty sure that putting the three of us together, we will make this stage rock!! :D

FYI. If you're driving to Reno from CA and especially on Interstate 80, be advised that the California Highway Patrol is HEAVILY enforcing traffic through the pass this week. I imagine it will be similar for all major routes into the Reno/Tahoe area.

As an example to the extremes, it hasn't been announced that this is a "zero tolerance" day, yet. "Zero tolerance" means, 1 mile an hour and you're getting a ticket. As proof, a good friend got a ticket doing 67 in a 65. Too, there is coordination between CA and NV highway patrol/state police through to the Utah border.

Again, this has not been classed as "zero tolerance" traffic enforcement, yet (they have to announce it).

So, watch yourself driving this weekend.

Rich

Kurt, et. al.,

Sighting in on the public range is available on Thursday afternoon. Friday AM, it's game on and time to shoot. So, that being said, I imagine that you can go to the public range in the morning, if you're starting in the afternoon and vice versa.

It's a bit of a tight schedule, so please report to your stages/squads on time.

Thanks and everyone have a great match.

Rich