Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

i want to do revolver but can it be fast

joedodge

A couple of years ago I decided to put down my bottom feeders for a while and try revolver. There were many times I wanted to give up because I had to reload more often, and stages were not really setup revolver nuetral. But I stuck with it and now really enjoy it.

I have learned to plan my stages more carefully, watch my front sight more and make each shot count. It took me a while to adapt to a longer trigger pull, but now I don't even notice it. (Most of my revolvers have a 6lb trigger).

I have now noticed that shooting a revolver has also made me a better bottom feeder shooter. My times have picked up and my shots are more accurate.

JoeDodge,

I will be coming to the Antelope club for the winter and I shoot revolver in IDPA and some USPSA. I'll look you up and maybe we can get a weekly practice session started. I took the 2011 PA State IDPA revolver SSR championship and can beat most of the top semi shooters at the clubs here in NEPA. It;s a blast placing ahead of Master bottom feeders. Be prepared to work at it though, you have to do a lot more than them.

Cliff is awesome and maybe we can pick his brain for help.

See you in the end of Dec.

Peter B

You ought to come to the Orlando IDPA match sometime. We have quite a few revolver shooters.

Be you'r own man. Enjoy revolver shooting. It's a lot of fun and you can be very competitive. It just taakes practice. Decide what method of reloading you want to do and then practice it alot. To be Really good Practice 100 reloads a day all the time and you will learn what you are doing.

Go slow at the start and then watch your speed increase.Watch your split times and get them down. Set up two targets 10 ards down range and 3 yards apart. Practice shooting one target, reload and thern the next. The goal is to shoot As.

Have fun. Watch Cliff and Watch Jerry's YouTubes to see what you are missing.

If you're fortunate enough to live in an area where other wheelgunners compete and squad together, you'll likely find they're a very helpful group - trading strategies, picking up each others' brass, loaning gear, emergency fixes that might come up, etc.

Yup. I shoot with several other revolver shooters. Last weekend, one of my buddies realized at the start of the match that he had everything but his L-frame speedloaders. I shoot a K-frame, so I couldn't help him out with the speedloaders. I lent him my carry Model 19 and he borrowed K-frame speedloaders from me and our SO.

The other great thing about shooting a revolver is the look on the face of the bottom-feeder shooters when you absolutely nail a reload. :surprise:

That almost makes up for the times when you wind up with 6 rounds on the ground at your feet. :lol:

Edited by M1911

JoeDodge,

I will be coming to the Antelope club for the winter and I shoot revolver in IDPA and some USPSA. I'll look you up and maybe we can get a weekly practice session started. I took the 2011 PA State IDPA revolver SSR championship and can beat most of the top semi shooters at the clubs here in NEPA. It;s a blast placing ahead of Master bottom feeders. Be prepared to work at it though, you have to do a lot more than them.

Cliff is awesome and maybe we can pick his brain for help.

See you in the end of Dec.

Peter B

You ought to come to the Orlando IDPA match sometime. We have quite a few revolver shooters.

Ill have to try and make it out that way for sure I just shot the state match in Titusville and loved it out that way

I'm 85% committed to shooting at the factory gun match over your way, another revolver shooter, hope you can join the fun.

Also, there is an ICORE club in Orlando and shoot every month, 20 to 40 shooters. Its worth the hour drive.

Ahoy all and particularly Joe. (still need your e-mail for the Para)

I'm as confused as a cow on astroturf. I shot the Fla State match 2 weekends ago and was one of the 2 revolver division shooters out of over 150 entrants. While I won the division, there weren't enough to make the books. Need at least 5 in a level II state match and 10 in sectional / nationals for official recognition. With so many revo shooters only an hour away in Orlando, where were they? I drove 3 hours from South Florida and stayed 3 nights. Kind of a sad statement for revolver shooters when a super senior, me, is the de facto state champ. :unsure: I'll be back next year. Maybe we can get a few more players. Otherwise I'll be going for 2 in a row .... maybe by myself. :surprise:

Ron

TY63917

I'm as confused as a cow on astroturf. I shot the Fla State match 2 weekends ago and was one of the 2 revolver division shooters out of over 150 entrants. While I won the division, there weren't enough to make the books. Need at least 5 in a level II state match and 10 in sectional / nationals for official recognition. With so many revo shooters only an hour away in Orlando, where were they? I drove 3 hours from South Florida and stayed 3 nights. Kind of a sad statement for revolver shooters when a super senior, me, is the de facto state champ. :unsure: I'll be back next year. Maybe we can get a few more players. Otherwise I'll be going for 2 in a row .... maybe by myself. :surprise:

Ron

TY63917

They were at the Memphis Charity match?

Edited by underlug

Ron

TY63917

Most of the revolver shooters in Orlando are IDPA shooters.

Ron

TY63917

Most of the revolver shooters in Orlando are IDPA shooters.

Yes,we were at the Memphis Charity Challenge Revolver Nationals :) , and to clarify that was ICORE (revolvers only) with 20 to 40 shooters in Orlando, and when you have time look at the topic on "USPSA Revolver Participation."

Edited by lora

Yes, I've been watching the revo participation thread along with the others on the subject. I'm new, 3+ years, to USPSA but have carried a revolver as a kid and during my time in Alaska. A charity match with a good prize table will trump a trophy only match every time even if it is the state championship. Even as much fun and challenging as it is to shoot revolver it appears we're a dying breed. It's a different skill set to be sure even with the ammunition which you can't get at Wally World. I was just trying to throw down a gauntlet to drum up some interest. It's a sad commentary on the current state of revolver shooting. I'm STILL the defacto USPSA State Champ and will be defending next year if able. :cheers:

Ron

Super Senior

Carmonized 625PC

TY63917

Joedodge, as to the original question

i want to do revolver but can it be fast
Similar to the sign on the speed shop wall
Well how fast do you want to go?
On steel type stages the Revo can run with the Semi's. We had some good runs on the steel challenge type stages at the OKC ICORE match today. later rdd

I love my wheelguns! The reloading and planning is what makes it enjoyable for me. Watching the open guys go super fast is cool, but a lot of times they don't have to reload at all, if they do only once, I'm not down playing their skill by any means, I just like the loading and shooting!!!

I usually end up mid-pack at my local USPSA matches with the revolver, usually in the top 10 (we have 115-130 shooters) at IDPA matches locally. It can be fast!!

And like the others have said, look at the top dog's, Jerry M., John Bagakis, Cliff Walsh, Neil Hogue and those guys, they give fast a new meaning!