Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun 2012

Does the number of pellets for the buckshot matter, or is it ok as long as its 00?

The number of pellets is not stipulated - just pellet size (00 buck for 12ga, #3 buck for 20ga). This is mostly because we have some paper targets and don't want folks seeking a competitive advantage blasting them with #4 buck (it takes forever to find and tape those 27 tiny holes).

All shotgun steel at SMM3G will be calibrated to fall with a 20ga hit, so competitors who are missing a Y chromosome should be OK with 8-pellet 00. :roflol: As I have two Y chromosomes, I always have some 12ga 3-1/2" magnum 15 pellet 00 buckshot available for my Versa Max in case of stubborn steel :devil:.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK Mr Stealthy I have a real question that you can help with. Is it true that the Meggitt System targets do not register a hit _before they are fully up rite and during the fall ? As in the target is tripped to fall at 2 seconds and as its falling any hits will not be recorded.

My Buddy says it was a long discussion at the stage last year , That I heard nothing about.

OK Mr Stealthy I have a real question that you can help with. Is it true that the Meggitt System targets do not register a hit _before they are fully up rite and during the fall ? As in the target is tripped to fall at 2 seconds and as its falling any hits will not be recorded.

My Buddy says it was a long discussion at the stage last year , That I heard nothing about.

Partially correct:

On the way up, the Meggitt targets start registering hits once they reach 45 degrees; the way we are building the stage, this means pretty much as soon as they are visible they will take hits.

Exposures are fixed time. Once the exposure time expires, the target stops registering hits and begins to fall. This means that you may indeed hit the target as it starts to drop and it will not register that hit. This is the same for everybody, of course, so there is no competitive equity issue.

The WSB and VSB in 2011 and 2012 make the above very clear.

Partially correct:

On the way up, the Meggitt targets start registering hits once they reach 45 degrees; the way we are building the stage, this means pretty much as soon as they are visible they will take hits.

Exposures are fixed time. Once the exposure time expires, the target stops registering hits and begins to fall. This means that you may indeed hit the target as it starts to drop and it will not register that hit. This is the same for everybody, of course, so there is no competitive equity issue.

The WSB and VSB in 2011 and 2012 make the above very clear.

Thanks Thats a big help to know, I am going to print this out just so I will remember.

JF

Stealthy: Is this new / different from years past? We have always been able to function fire and check zero on Thursday, the day before the match starts on Friday. The range has always had designated lanes for SMM3G and you need to show badge, etc.

I just spoke with the MD, and here is the scoop: From 12:00 noon on Thursday 22nd March until the end of the match there will be three (3) benches on the Public Range dedicated for SMM3G competitor use. Just show your competitor badge and you can shoot for free. The Public Range has steel gongs at 200 & 300 yards, plus you can put a paper target out as far as 200 yards (be sure to tell an RO you are going out past 100 - they make you wear an orange safety vest now). Sorry, no paper out past 200 yards.

Can you shoot shotgun (bird/slug/buck) there as well?

Can you shoot shotgun (bird/slug/buck) there as well?

Yes, any of the above shotgun ammo can be fired on the Public Range. For buckshot and slugs you can use the provided wood target frames, but for birdshot you should use the special rebar frames (they don't like folks blowing their wood frames to pieces).

The weather here in southern Nevada was pretty ugly last weekend with wind and slushy snow down to 3500 feet. Reminded me of the SMM3G match a few years back with the wind, snow & sleet.

Glad to se that pattern isn't in the forcast for this weekend in Mesa. :D It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

Edited by Blockhead

So yea, about those army targets... 3 hits!... . . . . .

Indeed, they absolutely fall with 3 HITS. We saw a lot of folks who managed this seemingly-impossible feat just fine today. To paraphrase, "near misses only count in horseshoes and hand grenades". :roflol:

+1 on a great match.

Only shot two stages without penalty.

Stage 8, my last stage was one of them.

This stage had a 300 yd auto reset Target that had a disco flashing strobe light when u hit.

Then 8 targets, 4 at 75 yds and 4 at 175 yds.

U had to hit each target 3 times and they were electronically sensitive to each hit.

They were only up for a few seconds and went down.

Then back up again.

The only quit coming up after the computer saw 3 hits.

Way to cool for school.

Great match except for a lot of waiting around on the first day. I think there was some target issues on one of the long range stages which backed things up a bit. My flashlight failing in the dark house on stage 7, made the day longer...just a note..you can index on targets just from the flash of the SJC Titan comp.

Edited by THM7