Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat trigger in witness poly

RWM

Hi,

Just wanted to share pics of my 45 Witness Poly with Henning flat trigger and EGW Hammer. Out of all the poly frames, the witness fits my hands the best. The DA/SA trigger is pretty heavy (sucks) :( so I thought I could improve on it with a SA. It turned out much better than I could have expected. :surprise: It wasn't a simple install but doable (with right tools). And yes the scale is correct. This is with using all the "standard" springs from the kit for trigger and plunger. I also polished the trigger bar.

post-35514-0-25165200-1321411783_thumb.j

post-35514-0-06726400-1321411808_thumb.j

post-35514-0-55666200-1321411833_thumb.j

post-35514-0-48263200-1321411854_thumb.j

Did you have to make any special modifications to the frame to get the flat trigger kit to work?

Hi, I didn't have to do anything to the frame. The trigger pin is too short so I had to re-use the oem pin. The trigger sits in a metal block which is held in the polymer frame by a pin. The polymer adds additional width. I haven't taken out the metal block to measure width. For now I am happy with the results. If the oem pin drifts, then I have to consider options. The polymer frame does have a lot of "slop". I had to ream out the trigger bow hole to allow the trigger to move freely. I also had some "hammer bounce" which engaged the half cock notch on the EGW hammer. I went through many hours of assemble/disassmbly to try to figure out what was the cause. In the end it was a simple problem. I replace the hammer spring with a lighter wolff spring. This allowed the hammer to rebound after striking the firing pin. I went back to the oem hammer spring and bounce went away. It is strange that even using the oem hammer spring that my trigger pull stayed about the same?

The witness poly frame is really sweet in terms of fitting my hands and now with the SA trigger dry firing practice I get no movement in the sight picture. The only down side I can see now is that the back of the poly slide is slightly different than the steel slide. They are interchangeable but doesn't look good. Also the poly slide has fixed front sight, which means I'll need to machine the sight of and put in a dovetail to get fiber sights. :angry:

• 1 year later...

I put Henning's flat trigger in my Match and it's very nice. I was planning to put a flat trigger in my new polymer framed Witness, but unless Henning is now making a longer trigger pin bolt to fit the polymer framed Witnesses, maybe I should just use my left over stock Match trigger in the poly frame and convert the poly to SAO by deleting the interrupter and using the Match top end (so I don't have to mess with shortening the Poly's hammer hooks). Any comments or advice?