Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Production Division With Revolver

Blueridge

Well I participated in the Memphis Charity Challenge (an advertised revolver match for those who don't know :) ) on Nov. 5th and had enough time to shoot the monthly match at the host range the following day. Out of curiosity I decided to shoot production division with my revolver. I expected it to be challenging and figured that it would be interesting to see how I did with the minor scoring and lower capacity as compared to the other competitors in the division. I found that my accuracy made the minor/major factor pretty much a non-issue, and that it was speed that made the difference between myself and the other competitors reference hit factor. The additional reloads that I required to complete the stages as compared to other production shooters did not make as big a difference as I expected.

The experiece has convinced me that it would be fun to enter a match that did not recognize revolver division, but did recognize production division. I don't expect to come in first, but I don't think that I would come in last either. :P

I think that I will shoot a classifier match using my revolver for production division sometime just to see how I fare. I don't have a classification in production currently anyway, so what's to lose. :unsure:

Edited by Blueridge

What are the big differences between shooting Revolver Division and shooting Production Division with a revolver?

No mandatory reload after 6 rounds in Production, so 7 and 8 shot revolvers can load up. I see this as the biggest draw. No race holsters in Production. No major scoring in Production. That it?

Thanks!

-Randy

What are the big differences between shooting Revolver Division and shooting Production Division with a revolver?

No mandatory reload after 6 rounds in Production, so 7 and 8 shot revolvers can load up. I see this as the biggest draw. No race holsters in Production. No major scoring in Production. That it?

Thanks!

-Randy

You might also consider ltd 10 minor. A lot of shooters in the NW use one or the other to prepare for the IRC as there are few ICORE matches here.

Be sure you revo is an approved gun for Production division. unsure.gif

Not only is my revolver on the approved production list, I was likely the reason that Ruger revolvers were put on the list to begin with a few years ago. In 2007 or 2008 I was looking at the approved production list online and Ruger revolvers were not on it. I sent an email requesting that they be added, since S&W revolvers were on the list, and about a month later they were added. :)

Now that's member service if I ever saw it. :D

Edited by Blueridge

Thanks!

-Randy

The only thing that I can think to add would be that revolver speedloaders and moon clips are exempt from the restriction on position of holster and other equipment under the Production Division.

Thanks!

-Randy

The only thing that I can think to add would be that revolver speedloaders and moon clips are exempt from the restriction on position of holster and other equipment under the Production Division.

Learn something new everyday. I never noticed that before or if I did, it did not sink in. Ya made me look! :D

Thanks!

-Randy

Learn something new everyday. I never noticed that before or if I did, it did not sink in. Ya made me look! :D

You can also get more creative with the grips on a revolver shot in Production than the semi-autos can.

After shooting my revolver in the monthly match in production division I have my first production classifier. It got me thinking that I might want to challenge myself to make C class in production using my revolver to achieve it over the next two years. I think with some effort I can manage it and the idea appeals to me.

I think that I can convince the MD at the local matches (at least) to let me after the match (shooting revolver division) to shoot the classifier from the match again for production division classifier recognition. I would have no problem paying to have the "extra" classifier sent into USPSA HQ.

Edited by Blueridge

At the last match I shot, was squaded with a man shooting an 8 shot revolver in Limited 10. When the results were posted he was "top gun". I wondered whether or not it was legal to do so but, never did look it up.

He had to have been shooting Minor?

At the last match I shot, was squaded with a man shooting an 8 shot revolver in Limited 10. When the results were posted he was "top gun". I wondered whether or not it was legal to do so but, never did look it up.

He had to have been shooting Minor?

He was shooting 38 Specials in an 8 shot, long barreled revolver, that I do know.

As to the class he was shooting, I just figured revolver. It was not until I received the match results that I saw he had won limited 10.

Edited by Reshoot

Would a Safariland 002 holster be legal in production class? Is it's placement the same as autos? I see the Moonclip holders can be put anywhere but it is a little vague on holster placement. I think it would be fun to shoot my 627 in production every once in a while.

Would a Safariland 002 holster be legal in production ...?

No. Revo (for Production) holster open no further than half way down the cylinder. Holster position is the same too. The equipment position exemption is for loaders.

They would also have to be "factory" on the outside (look carefully if you have a bobbed hammer or other than stock cylinder release).