Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 or M&P pro for 3 gun

Hey all,

Looking to shoot some real 3 gun matches next year, and I'm trying to decide what to go with in a 3 gun pistol. I have been running single stack in USPSA and steel all this and last year, and am set up to load 45. But I could switch over. I've also run a Pro to good effect with IDPA a few years back.

Basically, I'm wondering if I should get an M&P 5" pro 9mm for 3 gun or a 2011/para set up in 9mm. Major/minor doesn't seem to matter, and I think the added capacity would help over the 8 rounds I run now. It should also save loads and belt space. But as you know, the 2011 is a chunk of change.

What have you all gone with for your 3 gun pistol of choice? Keep in mind blocks are out, basically because they don't fit me at all. I'm not a hater, I just hate them ;)

Thanks,

Steve

To throw a wrench in your questions why not a CZ in 9mm? Either the shadow or a TS would do you right depending on what size you wanted. I like the M&P's but the CZ would give you a sweet single action trigger. The new trigger that APEX is making is amazing as well though which you could use in 3 gun. If it was production legal it would give me some thoughts.

If you have a .308 auto-loading rifle that is suitable, go with HM/Heavy.

In most 3G/MG matches, 9mm is preferable. The two that tend to favor major PF are Iron-Man (kind of for the spinners) and USPSA Nationals (for HF scoring).

If I was you, no question I would go for the M&P. I love my "blocks" (Glocks) and have used them for everything for years. However, I am switiching to a single action pistol for USPSA in a few months and I am going to use an complete custom 9mm Timberwolf (Glock system, with better ergonomics) for 3 Gun.

There are three basic reasons:

1. 3G is much harder on equipment than USPSA pistol. We toss them in buckets, ROs may handle them, dirt and dust are prevalent and harder to avoid in the long stages/days of 3G. The striker fired pistols fare better in the environment.

2. Safeties. I don't like DQs, especially stupid ones. The safety on the 2011s seems to be a too common DQ offense when they are caught on carpet, foam, etc. in a dump bucket.

3. Using a 2011 in major .40 in USPSA Limited is a decided improvement on a Glock, but not on a typical 3G stage. Just don't need the accuracy or PF at most matches.

IF, I went with a 2011 for MG, it would be a .38 Super though, not a 9mm. There are some good buys on 2011 .38 Supers.

Hmm, well I don't have a 308, and this stuff is 3 man 3 gun, we will all be running minor. He Man is out, at least for now.

I have shot a few CZs, but they just didn't really do it for me.

What kind of accuracy will I need for 3 gun? I hear you don't even need alphas, it's just 2 hits on paper?

What kind of accuracy will I need for 3 gun? I hear you don't even need alphas, it's just 2 hits on paper?

Except USPSA Nationals (which I hope is changing) and Blue Ridge the scoring is basically 2 hits on paper. Nationals is hit factor and Blue Ridge is Horner scoring, both have accuracy benefits on paper. However, ALL of the matches have some sort of accuracy demands. Either by use of target angle, distance or hardcover on paper, or smallish steel plates, some at distance. A few use the reduced size USPSA targets as well. Iron Man and Ozark have some annoying little 4" steel. Blue Ridge had some 5" steel past 25 yards, some partially protected by no-shoots. In general, if you can shoot a 3" group 25 yards, I would not be concerned.

I use my XDM 5.25 9mm for 3 gun and it works awesome. 19+1 with the stock mags and 23+1 with a mag extension. It's as accurate out to 25 yards as any gun I own including my STI Edge. Hell of a lot cheaper too. You could almost buy three stock 5.25's for what a Edge with mags goes for. I agree with a prior post, I have no problem tossing it in a bucket or grounding it.

Edited by Marv Z

Top guys shoot 2011s for a reason.

There are numerous 3G match winners this year who were NOT using 2011s. There are CZs, Glocks and Tanfoglios with match wins. Pistol platform is marginally important in 3G except as to capacity.

I have battled in my mind with switching from the 2011 to a Sig since I spend a lot of time with the pistol.

The only problem is that the trigger will reduce the speed that I can shoot at all ranges since you can't be as sloppy with the longer trigger pull.

With that being said - if your 2011 WORKS and you unload AND safe (I always do), you have nothing to worry about.

Accuracy this year was a huge deal at Ozark and a big deal at Blue Ridge. Ozark involved shooting close to the capabilities of your pistol platform. I joked that my groups when I zero off of a rest at 25 yards were as big as some of the targets. It was challenging and the stages were fun. :cheers:

Every other match you'd be good to go if the bullets didn't come out of your gun sideways.

Edited by DyNo!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...