Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Magnum legal

The_Vigilante

I don't understand this. A 22 mag is going to have a much lower power factor than even a minor 38 super or 9mm. What is the issue here?

Just curious....

The small diameter bullet at high velocity, about double that of a 22 LR, will damage the targets. Velocity is everything.

Edited by kend

The small diameter bullet at high velocity, about double that of a 22 LR, will damage the targets. Velocity is everything.

Um, no, that is not it. We can shoot 22LR rifles, which are about 1250 fps in SC. .22 Magnum from a "pistol" is about 1200 to 1300. I've shot a lot of .22 Magnum at 2100 fps out of rifles at close steel, not an issue.

Um, no, that is not it. We can shoot 22LR rifles, which are about 1250 fps in SC. .22 Magnum from a "pistol" is about 1200 to 1300. I've shot a lot of .22 Magnum at 2100 fps out of rifles at close steel, not an issue.

Now that you mention it I'd say it depends on the type of steel. The targets I saw shot with 22 Mag were mild steel, it would stand up to the larger pistol caliber bullets at low/medium velocity but the 22 mag would put divots in it. It wouldn't take long to make it worthless. A harder rifle rated steel would last forever.

You can not use 22WMR, because the rules say 22LR only. 22 long rifle is specically addressed. (4.1.2 in the SCSA rule book). Can't use any other rimfire cartridge.

There is no reasoning for the steel wear or anything else, they just wanted it to be for 22LR....and it is their rules. You'll just have to live with that....sorry.

I thought about it as well, but for the rifle end of it.

Also, Ruger Rimfire specifically says that you can ONLY use 22LR as well....no other rimfire cartridge.