Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headgear

Graham Smith

I've got more baseball caps than I know what to do with and far too many of them have sweat stains from constant use. But as much as I like caps for shooting, they just don't work for me when shooting a long gun. The brim is always in the way so I frequently end up turning it around which sort of defeats the purpose of having a hat with a brim.

So, I've been looking for a bucket (boonie) hat and have run into a couple issues. First is that unlike baseball caps, they are not adjustable, so unless you can find one that comes in different sizes, then be prepared for something that may not fit. Second is that it's almost impossible to tell from photos in catalogs what the brim size is. I've purchased a couple and sent them back because the brim was either the size of a stetson or looked like it had been shrunk.

Does anyone have first hand experience of a source of a good, practical, boonie hat that works?

-----------------------

P.S. When shooting a long gun, I use molded ear plugs rather than muffs, so that's not an issue with headgear,

If you have a local source for an Army surplus store you might find a Viet Nam style slouch hat.

I have not been able to find any place in the area that carries anything like this. It's actually come as a bit of a surprise to me because they used to be very popular with golfers and fishermen, but baseball caps seem to have taken over the market - at least around here.

I've already gotten two via mail order and both went back because they didn't fit or were badly designed. That's why I was hoping someone could point me to a specific item that they already had.

http://www.columbia.com/Omni-Shade%E2%84%A2-Bora-Bora%E2%84%A2-Booney/CU9745,default,pd.html

I have a Columbia similar to this one. Adjustable for size. I don't use the chinstrap, but haven't cut it off, either. Only drawback for me is I like to use ear muffs. Over the head muffs don't work. I may get a pair of behind the head muffs or just use foam plugs instead.

I usually don't wear hats in Florida because of the humidity. A hat, no matter how light or ventilated, just makes my head too hot. My hat worked well in Vegas, though. Amazing how much differently a dry heat feels.

I have a Columbia similar to this one.

There are a few sporting goods stores around here that have Columbia products. I found something that looks like this, but the brim was so floppy that it sagged down in front or my eyes. Does the one you have hold up?

FWIW, a fellow in a different forum point me over to Tru Spec. They have a couple different types and I might give them a try as most of their gear is fairly decent.

Edited by Graham Smith

I have a Columbia similar to this one.

There are a few sporting goods stores around here that have Columbia products. I found something that looks like this, but the brim was so floppy that it sagged down in front or my eyes. Does the one you have hold up?

The brim on the one I have is not floppy. I think the Columbia model is "Titanium".

What about a short brim "utility cover" style.... they can be found with adjustable backs and have a shorter brim than most ball caps...

I've seen them but you have to understand that as a 20yr Army vet, if I showed up at the range with one of those on, I would catch no end of s%!t from Marines I shoot with. Besides, when I am laying prone with a scoped rifle, any stiff brim can get in the way. And my life wouldn't be worth a nickle if I turned one of those around backwards.

FWIW, a fellow in a different forum point me over to Tru Spec. They have a couple different types and I might give them a try as most of their gear is fairly decent.

Tru-Spec does make a nice adjustable boonie, but I don't think they breathe very well. YMMV.