Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Factory crimp die

zdog

I had two problem children, a 625 with a tight cylinder and a Series 1 Kimber with a tight chamber, in .45acp.

I used to have to go through the loaded ammo to find 6 I could clip up that would drop in the cylinder. Some of those rounds you couldn't force into the cylinder.

I used to get a really high failure rate on the case gauge.

I installed the LFCD and my problems went away, completely. It's been a couple years since I even used the case gauge.

Disclaimer: Shooting is my hobby, not reloading.

I had two problem children, a 625 with a tight cylinder and a Series 1 Kimber with a tight chamber, in .45acp.

I used to have to go through the loaded ammo to find 6 I could clip up that would drop in the cylinder. Some of those rounds you couldn't force into the cylinder.

I used to get a really high failure rate on the case gauge.

I installed the LFCD and my problems went away, completely. It's been a couple years since I even used the case gauge.

Disclaimer: Shooting is my hobby, not reloading.

I am not being a smart a$$ here but is there a chance the die you were using was not adjusted correctly?

zdog

I had a Norinco with a Kart NM barrel at the same time that would run perfectly on my reloads.

Dillon said to have my chamber/cylinders reamed.

:unsure:

If the rounds would not go through the case gauge they did not meet spec or you had a bad case gauge. Were you unable to adjust the Dillon die enough so that he rounds would go through the case gauge?

I had two problem children, a 625 with a tight cylinder I used to have to go through the loaded ammo to find 6 I could clip up that would drop in the cylinder. Some of those rounds you couldn't force into the cylinder.

In regards to the 625 they're right. 625 chambers usually get reamed (and chamfered) when action work is done. They're usually undersize and out of round as delivered. The SDB .45acp sizing die contributes to the problem if you're reloading on a SDB.

I don't know where you get your 45LC bullets but they are normally sized .454 unless you specifically ask for .452. So that could be a cause of the bulge. Flat point bullets are not the best for a revolver according to a buddy that shoots a 610 and can't seem to find a RN. I was using a 625 during my revolver phase (midlife crisis) and 230gr MG for matches & 230gr BBI for practice. I had tried some Precision Moly but their RNFP had too long an ogive to work in an XD or a Springfield unless I ran them at ~1.180. Never tried a 250 so I don't know if it would be softer than a 230. I tried some 147's in 9mm but they felt sluggest to me even after some attempts at the Burkett timing drill.

I had two problem children, a 625 with a tight cylinder I used to have to go through the loaded ammo to find 6 I could clip up that would drop in the cylinder. Some of those rounds you couldn't force into the cylinder.

In regards to the 625 they're right. 625 chambers usually get reamed (and chamfered) when action work is done. They're usually undersize and out of round as delivered. The SDB .45acp sizing die contributes to the problem if you're reloading on a SDB.

A forum member offered to ream my cylinder (does that sound nasty?) for free a couple years later so I took him up on the offer.

I don't know where you get your 45LC bullets but they are normally sized .454 unless you specifically ask for .452. So that could be a cause of the bulge. Flat point bullets are not the best for a revolver according to a buddy that shoots a 610 and can't seem to find a RN

Missouri Bullets, 250gr RNF, sized .452, 3.6 gr Solo 1000, 1.200 c.o.a.l. Bullet crimped in it's crimp groove. The bulge has to do with how far the bullet enters the case. Yes, a RN would be better but try to find a 250 RN. Very soft shooting, accurate, clean, and efficient. SD's are consistently between 8 and 9. Nicest major load I've shot after trying 200's and 230's and all the usual suspects for powders.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have a FCD, but just the regular Lee 3 die carbide 9mm set. I'm still new to reloading, but found that when sizing the case once with my sizing die properly adjusted, I only had about 10 out of 500 not chamber. I just did a batch running them through the sizing die twice, and none of them failed the chamber check. I'm thinking I don't need the FCD, will just run them through the sizer twice...

will just run them through the sizer twice...

Shouldn't need to. Do you have the sizing die set down to where it contacts the shell holder? If not you need to. Check it while sizing a case, not with the press empty.

will just run them through the sizer twice...

Shouldn't need to. Do you have the sizing die set down to where it contacts the shell holder? If not you need to. Check it while sizing a case, not with the press empty.

Hmm, nah, I did it per the instructions (which I thought didn't mention to put an empty shell in), touching the shell holder plus 1/8-1/4 turn, but with the shell in sounds better. I have been very happy with the low no-go ratio I've had, or at least it seems. On the no-go's, I just pulled the bullet and decapping pin, resized the case, loaded it, and then they passed. And that was on the first 500 rounds I ever reloaded, so I'm ok with that. On my most recent batch of 300 that I did sizing them a second time, I had no failures, so that's where my thought process came from...

Having them all pass the first time would be nice though... I have a replacement Classic Turret on the way (first one seemed to have some worse than typical issues), so when I put my dies in the turret I'll adjust it with the shell in, maybe save an extra press stroke. Thanks for the heads up... :cheers:

Here's a round that jammed in a fellow shooter's pistol on one of the stages we were shooting at a local IPSC match. Clearing the jam cost him a couple of seconds. Afterwards I picked it up to inspect. I'm always interested in "what went wrong" and trying to learn something.

IMG_4383.JPG

As you can see, it's a 40 with lead bullet. The FCD he was using encountered some issue with the bullet. So it 'steam-rollered' the heck out of it, which ended up distorting the case. It was the distorted brass that jammed the chamber.

So in this case, the FCD caused a feeding error.

:angry:

Wobbly,

I have done this with Dillon too. It's not the crimp die, the case mouth gets caught on the powder funnel and boogered and you don't catch it when you seat the bullet. I have done it with 38 Spl, 357 mag and 9mm (cast and fmj). The crimp die will try to iron it out, but the problem is still there and does hang up in the chamber. Just another reason to case gauge and box the ammo (and make sure that the press is adjusted correctly). I usually find that I have either some debris on the platform, or not tightened the shell plate enough.