Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Master Holsters

jmcmanis

I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to use one of these holsters. I've been needing to get a new holster but can't seem to find one I want. I really like the race master setup. Any thoughts?

Also, What is the progress update on the Tanfo Logos on the Holsters?

Thanks,

James McManis

I use the Race Master with my Limited Customs, it is very good. I have noticed on occation that I will hit my finger on the lock when making a quick draw, it is about the only thing that could use an improvement. It locks in well, comes out super smooth, it's very reliable. Just make sure to locktite your set screws once you are sure on the holster postion.

So my Racemaster experience started off rough, but now I have it working well.

Just as Dan-O-Mite stated, you need to loctite the screws. I was told that I didn't need to, but I had a couple screws come loose on more than 1 occasion so I loctited them all, and now its been good. I really like how flexible the mounting position is, but that also is a double edged sword. It took me a long time to get it in a position that was comfortable, allowed an easy smooth draw, and was legal according to USPSA rules. The other thing I had to do is take a LOT of machining marks out of the locking block. Mine would hang up and bind up a lot in the beginning until I spent a decent amount of time polishing out the machining marks. Another thing to note is that any tiny bit of sand or grit in the locking block will make it bind up real bad. I live in the Idaho desert and sometimes during a shoot you will get wind gusts. One probably 3 different occasions a gust of wind came through, and blew some dust around. After that my holster would not release easy. One time I was pulling on it so hard that the RO asked if I just wanted to call it a day since it was obvious my gun was not coming out easy and he was worried it was becoming unsafe. When I would go home and take it apart, I would find a tiny bit of grit or sand in there. I would tear it apart completely, clean everything good, then give is a shot of silicone spray and it would be good to go again.

I will say though that Saul worked with me a lot to try and figure out my issues. He even offered to replace the block, but I figured I would just have to start over on my sanding if I sent the one back that I had already worked on.

It seems to be working really well now that I have the locking block sanded and I have made sure not to get any grit in it. However to be honest for $200 USD I expected a product I could take out of the box and use, not spend 4 hours sanding and polishing on to get it to work right. Also I don't feel my draw is any faster or better than it was with my Bladetech DOH. If it wasn't for the fact I need this holster to run my 6" gun, I probably would not have kept it.

It is a very nicely made holster, with lots of flexibility for position.

Edited by Nealio

Tho I have inserts for my Glock and 1911, I use my Race Master exclusively for my N frame Smiths. Once you find "that special place" LockTite it in and go to work. Never an issue and Saul is almost next door. Had a question about a Chiappa insert and he responded in a few hours. Two months later I still haven't heard from Chiappa. Outside of my second wife, Race Master is probably the best decision I've made in years! :cheers:

Ron

TY63917

Im using a Speedsec 5 now, but ive got my open gun running on it and it has a thumb rest. The thumb rest doesn't let the gun lock into the holster properly. Are there any issues like this with the race master?

The Racemaster allows for a pretty good clearance on the body side of the holster. It doesn't have that thick knob in the way that the Speedsec has. Now if your thumbrest is more that 1 1/2" wide, I don't know what holster will work for you and still keep you legal.

• 8 months later...

So a little update on this...

My gun was flopping around pretty bad in the holster and at times I thought it might even fall out. So I emailed Saul to see if the sliding lock part was out and if I could purchase a new one. He said he would send me a new one for free (which is awesome customer service, BTW). Well the new sliding lock was a lot thicker than the old one, which means it engages a LOT better than the old one. And now when I put my gun in, the holster holds the gun tight (it never did before). Also the gun comes out really easy and smooth now, MUCH better than it ever did. I think I should have had the old sliding lock replaced from the beginning. I think I just had a bad part.

So now it locks up and draws like a $200 holster.. :)

post-23941-0-85648800-1343883877_thumb.j