What are your other hobbies

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I've got the bug!! ...and I have this forum to thank (blame). :P

When I was a child, I played a little with R/C sailplanes and cars, but really thought it would be cool to have a heli. Eventually, school and life got in the way and my R/C activity faded away.

I'm at the point I need a good midlife crisis, but already have the sports car, and a girlfriend on the side is just too much work. That's when I saw this thread and started thinking about those days of old when I really wanted a R/C heli. What better way to have a midlife crisis, than to revert to your childhood....

So, I went out a couple of weeks ago and bought myself a Blade mSR X helicopter so I could start learning to fly a heli. I'm having a blast, even though I'm still only working on my hover. I've already upgraded to a new Spektrum DX6i transmitter and the Phoenix Sim software, and of course I'm investing in an ample supply of batteries and spare parts (aka "tuition"). I'm driving the cat, dog, and wife absolutely nutty by buzzing around the living room 10-15 times a day in 5 minute bursts. The coffee table has become my impromptu heliport.

I see this as only the start of great things to come. I'm already eyeballing a collective pitch helicopter like the mCP X as my next step, and then on to something bigger....

The only downside is that I've just started flying, and I can already see it nibbling into my shooting budget...

drinking used to be my 2nd most favorite hobby after shooting :cheers: hardly do that nowadays... I dunno if you could call working out a hobby but I spend a good amount of time during the week in the gym and running on the road. chilling out playing my home theater system is/was another favorite hobby that I'm just too busy for nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty much down to just shooting now, but have in the past done Enduros, a bit of Rock Climbing and backpacking, Sailing (last boat was a 47ft cutter), Scuba, went so far as to become and AOWI for a number of years, actually started to enjoy free diving more than scuba, at one point I reached 105 feet breath hold diving, Martial Arts for about a dozen years. Currently we do some RV traveling, not sure that qualifies as a hobby.

My PRIMARY hobby (shooting sports are my seondary) is olympic style fencing (Foil and Epee). I started when I was in college and managed to letter in the sport as a varsity athlete. After approximately 3 years the varsity team was dissolved, and I was out of the sport for about a decade. I came back to the sport winter of 1999, and have qualified and competed in 11 of the last 12 US Fencing Nationals in Division II and or III Foil and or Epee. This last year in addition to Div. II Epee I qualified for Veterans Foil and Epee at the US Fencing Nationals.

This year I have already qualified for Veterans Foil and Epee at the US Fencing Nationals. At the end of March I will compete in the NC Divisionals Qualifier to try and make the Division II&III Foil events and the Division II Epee events at US Fencing Nationals also. I took first place in the Epee event at the NC Divisionals to qualify for Div. II Epee, as my C rating in Epee precluded me from competing in Div. III (I'm rated too high for Div III now :( ).

I was also fortunate enough to compete in the 2003 and 2004 Pan-Pacific Masters Games (held in Sacramento, Ca. and Gold Coast, Queensland Australia respectively).

:sight:

Edited by Blueridge

• 4 weeks later...

My wife makes fun of me for bouncing between hobbies. My other hobbies include video gaming, unicycling, juggling, and playing the banjo. It's killing me to be spread out over so many different skills, though. I think I'm settling on shooting as my main love, at least for now, so I'm selling my mountain unicycle and my old banjo to raise money for shooting. It's just painful to give up part of my other loves.

Other brief obsessions include Aikido and RC helicopter. I have a battery powered helicopter to sell if anyone is interested.