Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your other hobbies

Shooting has been my new hobby for the past year 1/2

But Flying model helis/planes has been a passion of mine for the past 24 yrs. I remember when I was 6 and my Papa would bring me to the airplane field. After that I was HOOKED!

Here is are a few videos I've done. Enjoy

post-35689-0-42923100-1320592303_thumb.j

post-35689-0-01859200-1320592313_thumb.j

post-35689-0-86503400-1320592322_thumb.j

post-35689-0-39812600-1320592419_thumb.j

Edited by Chris Reibert

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that for 15 years, and burnt myself out. Gave it up and sold out 6 years ago.

I did take 3rd place, in scale, at the nationals once (Muncie, IN). That's the best I ever did, in spite of spending a fortune and stressing myself out.

My last build was a Bell 407, complete with 4 blade Bendix main rotor. Scale right down to the antennas, door handles and hinges. I do still miss that one, but the desire to fly never came back.

When I took up USPSA three years ago I vowed to never take the competition serious . . . just have fun. So far, so good :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

With technology constantly changing I fortunately have not got sick of the R/C hobby

+1 to that. I also have been off-and-on with R/C hobbies. When I first started, oh so many years ago, we had:

- airplanes made of balsa wood covered with shrink-wrap

- Radio transmitters/recivers that were analog and subject to interference, had to coordinate channels so you didn't crash someone else's plane

- Messy glow-fuel engines

- there were some basic NiCd battery-powered airplanes at that time, but they were just glorified gliders they did not have the power

- I wasn't into Heli's at the time, but R/C helicopters that I did see very expensive and fragile, not for the faint of heart.

Now I'm returning to the hobby, recently got interested in R/C Helicopters. The new stuff made it easier for me to re-enter the hobby:

- Digital radios (no interference to crash other people's planes)

- LiPO battery-power replacing glow-fuel for smaller models

- ready-to-fly foam/plastic/carbon-fiber kits

- 3-axis gyro / Flybarless sytems for Helicopters (<--- makes a big difference for me)

I struggled to make progress starting-out on a 4-channel (mSR) then my first collective-pitch 6-channel (Blade SR). But when the Blade mCP-x came-out, that's when I really started to make progress in flying, that got me past the "crash-and-burn" phase and I started to go into basic inverted flight. Also flybarless on the mCP-x opened my eyes: I have seen the future of R/C helicopters and it is flybarless.

I've built a flybarless HK-450-pro and I like it, but its so big the only place I can fly it is at the shooting-range when nobody else is around.

(I've found that the shooting range is a great place to fly, if nobody else is around, just watch-out if those Trap/Skeet shooters are around ... Pull! )

Edited by SlowShooter

My hobbies other than shooting are reloading and bullet casting! :rolleyes:

They really are, don't do much else. I have always been fascinated by R/C but doing that would take time & $ away from my current hobbies.

Neal in AZ

Here are a few pics of my new Trex 550 and 450 Pro

With the MX 600 motor in the 550 it has Insane POWER!!

Love this bird, by far my favorite heli to date. Prob owned over 30 different types and sizes.

Here is my latest video, sorry for poor iphone quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy3rboRjDXA

post-35689-0-97650600-1323224885_thumb.j

post-35689-0-75536700-1323224923_thumb.j

post-35689-0-23626800-1323224956_thumb.j

post-35689-0-15543000-1323224989_thumb.j

post-35689-0-46017500-1323225040_thumb.j

Edited by Chris Reibert

Here is my latest video

I guess I'll join the show & tell also with my videos... but I can't do any stunts like you do ;)

Blade mCP-x, my best flight ever:

Link for mobile:

Installed Turnigy Flybarless system on my HK-450-pro. This is me flying at our club's shooting-range, so sorry for the cluttered background:

Link for mobile:

sorry for poor iphone quality

FYI, I've been using one of those "808 Keychain cameras" that records 720p as my Hat-cam. for PoV camera when flying R/C and also when shooting matches, its a small camera that can easily mount on my hat so its out of the way.

6482024747_07af06a421.jpg

Most of my videos on my channel are taking with this camera, nowhere near as good as a GoPro or dedicated HD camera, but for the small size it is a good Point-of-view camera. (and it was only $40).

I've tried flying it on-board my Helicopter but the shaking is so bad on the Heli the rolling-shutter gives a bad "Jello" effect.

But for a Hat-cam it works good.

Edited by SlowShooter

With the disclaimer that I know nothing about RC helicopters, I saw something about filming being done w. cameras mounted on a R/C helicopter - if someone's good enough, it might be an interesting thing for the "super squad" at major matches...

Expensive, but nifty...

Edited by Aglifter

With the disclaimer that I know nothing about RC helicopters, I saw something about filming being done w. cameras mounted on a R/C helicopter - if someone's good enough, it might be an interesting thing for the "super squad" at major matches...

Expensive, but nifty...

Aerial photograhy and filming, using remotely controlled helicopters, has been around for some time. There are companies that do nothing but. Played with it a little myself, back in the '80s. But, never at an event where spectators were present. There are huge risks and liabilities, as what goes up must come down. Lord knows I have put my share of machines in the ground!

NASCAR allowed it for one year at Sprint Cup races. Can't remember if it was Fox or one of the other networks. I figure NASCAR decided it was just not worth the risk.

I've been flying RC helis for over 22 years now. In fact, I started shooting just to find something else to do for awhile. I have been competing at the National level for 6 years in Precision Helicopter Aerobatics (Pattern). I've also worked in the UAV industry for the past 7 years, including building and operating UAV helis from 5 to 1300 pounds.

In the first pic, I'm in the middle with my Kyosho team mates Wayne Mann and Dwight Shilling at the 2009 US Nationals. The second pic is one of my two Kyosho Caliber 90s after converting to 12S electric.

post-34906-0-72584700-1323708223_thumb.j

post-34906-0-53306800-1323708232_thumb.j

Edited by ErichF

I have a house full of RC cars and trucks. Only Helicopters I have are the smallones you can fly indoors. The little ones are fun can't imagine how cool it is flying the big ones.

Lookup the Gateway RC Club in JAX. There are a lot of great heli pilots there. They have a couple fun flies every year there just for helicopters. A great guy to lookup there is, and this is his real name, Andy Griffith.

Jame...loved snorkeling ...in Hawaii.

I now just completed my first stained glass project.

Took a beginners class for it and I think I now have another hobby to spend $ on.

While its cold out and snowing I'll be finishing my reloading room in the basement and making stained glass stuff.

The only time I have more than 1 hobby is during the transition phase of leaving one and going to the next. I have a very short attention span so they don't usually last that long. I have had ALL of the hobbies.... I am on my second lap with guns. Did the R/C think about 10 years ago. Planes, Heli's, trucks, boats... I tend to stick with the hobbies that can kill you longer than the ones that can't. I really like shooting I hope this one sticks around for a while. :cheers: