Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Case feeder

On 6/6/2020 at 6:02 PM, Lesliet said:

Just wanted to show a pic of the mod I did, works pretty well for preventing the jams in the funnel. This is a bit of 1/4" DOT air line ( you can get it at Napa) and a Christmas tree zip tie.  

(example: https://www.mcmaster.com/christmas-tree-zip-ties/ )  Requires a hole in the case feeder bowl to fit the Christmas tree.  For rifle cases, you can rotate it out of the way. So far, I've only loaded 9mm Luger in this setup, had to crank the clutch down a bit to run a reasonable amount of brass at a time, about a level blue inline bin. The timing setup with the cam wire seems pretty fiddly, especially since the bottom end of the cam wire is in a very bendable bracket.  With a bit of muddling about, I've got it to where it mostly runs, definitely easier on the left arm with the feeder. 

https://imgur.com/KeAoCBz

I did something similar with a regular big zip tie. I've loaded about a 1000 rounds sense without one jam so far so good.

Since  I posted last about this, I got one of those Inline Mfg. bin mounts, which also has a hole for the bottom end of the case feeder cam.  After adjusting the feeder as close to the shellplate as possible, without it fouling the edge of the plate when you pull the handle, this thing feeds super sweet. I think the flimsy bracket it came with was bending and flexing in use, and changing the index of the feeder. The Inline mount is much thicker steel, only negative being that if you like to pre-process your brass like I do, you have to cut the factory bracket so you can still use the ramp that guides the cases into the bin.  ( Could probably weld something up to the Inline mount, but I didn't want to mess up the powder-coat. ) 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone has figured out a set up related to this that works please post a few pictures if possible...I am setting up my new loader and this is driving me crazy....I am about ready to order a Dillon case feeder and be done with this issue since the case feeder on my 10 year old Dillon 650 has run perfect since day one on eight different calibers....

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj3scWw-pLtAhUcyzgGHYipBXgQ3KsCegQIARAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-KjQlj4NV60&psig=AOvVaw22PYE_YKdaT5iq2MAiV1TZ&ust=1606024689051938

I run this and it’s helped a lot. Just loaded 300 9mm today and only issue I had was one case got sideways in the funnel bit. Before running this wedge it was a right pita!  

Edited by McHaggis

On 11/21/2020 at 6:06 AM, McHaggis said:

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj3scWw-pLtAhUcyzgGHYipBXgQ3KsCegQIARAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-KjQlj4NV60&psig=AOvVaw22PYE_YKdaT5iq2MAiV1TZ&ust=1606024689051938

I run this and it’s helped a lot. Just loaded 300 9mm today and only issue I had was one case got sideways in the funnel bit. Before running this wedge it was a right pita!  

That's pretty cool. Is there a print file for that somewhere I can download?

BTW, Hornady just replaced by case feeder with the new design. Had no idea they were going to do that, but I'm happy.

I'm curious if the diameter of the shell plates has changed over time, though. I get some double feeds with 300BLK where 2 cases fit in the slot and both come down through the hole. And also I have to put plastic to keep cases from flying out and missing the funnel completely.

36 minutes ago, jtaylor996 said:

BTW, Hornady just replaced by case feeder with the new design. Had no idea they were going to do that, but I'm happy.

I'm curious if the diameter of the shell plates has changed over time, though. I get some double feeds with 300BLK where 2 cases fit in the slot and both come down through the hole. And also I have to put plastic to keep cases from flying out and missing the funnel completely.

What new design? What changed?

6 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

What new design? What changed?

The material and construction of the bowl is completely different. Maybe the motor and switch are the same, but that's it. The mounting arm has different geometry, and the drop tubes are completely different as well.

My funnel had cracked. It was a clear plastic molded piece that was the entire front of the motor housing. The new funnel is just the funnel itself, for instance.

Wow. I just replaced the a bunch of the main cam block and related parts and I added the new cam block bracket that keeps the cam block from moving so much. Now I am having an issue with the pivot block rocking. I have to call Hornady again. 

Not sure if there is a better case feeder that works with the LnL AP that is not 3D printed and require me to turn/rotate case tubes.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:24 AM, jtaylor996 said:

That's pretty cool. Is there a print file for that somewhere I can download?

Kinda. I downloaded one off thingiverse but it’s not exactly the same but once positioned in the right spot it does work, But I have my one currently held on with vice grips. I’ll try to find the link. The one I have has a longer leg than the one in the clip

Edited by McHaggis

10 hours ago, McHaggis said:

Kinda. I downloaded one off thingiverse but it’s not exactly the same but once positioned in the right spot it does work, But I have my one currently held on with vice grips. I’ll try to find the link. The one I have has a longer leg than the one in the clip

Cool. Yesterday I clamped on a crappy cardboard wiper and it really helped. Hornady should have made a wiper a standard feature.

This is the file I used.  It sadly not the same as the one in the video clip but it works when placed in the correct place.

Look as the location of the one pictured and put this one in the same place.  Yes the leg is too long and that's why mine is currently attached with a vicegrip.

v3case_wedge.stl

• 3 weeks later...

Guys. Need some help please. Look at the picture below of the small pistol plate that came with my Evolution. Notice the 5 small black screws. Has anyone else here received a Hornady small pistol plate that have these screws on it?  I ask because in looking at pictures on line I do not see these screws on other pictures. Feedback and help is appreciated if anyone has these on their new small pistol plate or know why these are on here...Thanks Mark

C7-E3-F544-80-F9-42-CE-8-F29-F2193-B64-F

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Blsmith said:

Has anyone been successful in using a Dillon feeder on ahornaday

What don't you like about the Hornady? Is it giving you any problems?