Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Kaboom Yesterday - Please Learn From This

grant22

Grant, I hope your are on the mend and suffering no permanent ill effects!

Besides my concern shooting reloads in AR and M1A rifles (which I have done for more than 30+ years), I always worried about the handling of primers outside a containment apparatus of some sort. After all, primers are HE and very sensitive as your unfortunate accident illustrates, regardless of the cause.

I have one of these in my shop I use for eye pro when milling, filing or anytime I run the risk of getting debris in my eyes.

Your story now has me wearing the shield when I load my primer tubes AND fill the machine's magazine. The HG-25 shield has passed ANSI Z87.1-2010 specifications for high velocity impact. Perhaps I need to consider wearing my welding gloves as well!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Edited by Roadrider18

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

During the heating season in IL many of us have horrible static electricity in our houses. It is caused by a combination of relatively low humidity and synthetic fabrics or wool on furniture, carpeting, shoe soles and clothing. We have a ritual we do before touching anything electrical, metal or even the cat. If you forget you'll be treated to some very pretty but sometimes painful electrical arcs and the cat will cringe next time you approach to pet her. After hearing of this horrible accident I would eliminate any static spark by first touching a bare metal part of the press, making it and me of the same electrical potential or, if you will, discharging the spark. Then while still touching the press use the other hand to place the filled primer tube in contact with the machines' metal primer tube cap.

You could run a wire from under a press bolt to a cleaned and greased spot on a water pipe and clamp it there. This would ground your press but you would still need to equalize your potential by touching the press, as I mentioned before, because now that it is grounded you may get an even stronger electrical discharge when you touch the press.

Edited by bwit