Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Kaboom Yesterday - Please Learn From This

grant22

You have cured me of my desire to reload. Thanks for saving me the money on a press. :D

Although I can't blame you, in all seriousness, I'd still say you'd be sorta missing out. It's a very rewarding hobby. Is it worth an injury, though??? I can't tell you.

All I know is, thank god for medical insurance! Knowing this now, if I didn't have medical insurance, I'd stay away from this type of hobby. Just my opinion, tho.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got another theory from left field...WAG here...

What if the very first primer to get picked up in the pickup tube was grabbed inverted with anvil in the down position once the tube was rotated. Then removing the clip may have slid across the anvil exciting the primer paste.... sound possible?

Got another theory from left field...WAG here...

What if the very first primer to get picked up in the pickup tube was grabbed inverted with anvil in the down position once the tube was rotated. Then removing the clip may have slid across the anvil exciting the primer paste.... sound possible?

Dude, ANYTHING is possible. I welcome any theory.

SE is still at the top of my list. I just figured out thr relative humidity at my house that day was 15% average and the low was 10%.

About grounding.

If you CAN, driving your own grounding rod and tying straight to it is the best way.

Rods are cheap.

Anti static Desk mats, Floor mats, wrist straps are a good preventive measure.

There are also Door mats that will discharge when you walk across them.

I made this shield to keep my hands away from the tube when you are loading the tube and when you pull the pin.

DSC_3727.jpgDSC_3729.jpg

I will replace the zip tie with a string, attach the string to the upper part of the tube. Then you can use a screw in the hole of the pin, the pin slides out easy but the pin would stay attached to the tube and not fall on the ground.

I made this shield to keep my hands away from the tube when you are loading the tube and when you pull the pin.

DSC_3727.jpgDSC_3729.jpg

I will replace the zip tie with a string, attach the string to the upper part of the tube. Then you can use a screw in the hole of the pin, the pin slides out easy but the pin would stay attached to the tube and not fall on the ground.

Very nice. Have you been doing this or do you devise this right after seeing this post?

DSC_3727.jpgDSC_3729.jpg

Very nice. Have you been doing this or do you devise this right after seeing this post?

There was a post here a while back by a GM that lost a finger when he tapped a tube while loading it. It really made me think. Then I read your post and thought I better make something. I had all the parts in my garage and have enough to make one more. Even had the blue paint. So my cost was zero.

Thanks for posting BTW. Hope you heal up fast. You have to hold the tube by the steel to be safe. I use a little cup I have on my bench for loading the casefeeder to get my wrist about 2 inch's off the bench. Then my hand is no where near the primers. I am going to use it a while before committing to the next one.

Edit: I also meant to say screwdriver in the hole of the pin. It slides out nice and easy.

Edited by 98sr20ve

DSC_3727.jpgDSC_3729.jpg

What keeps the aluminum pick up tube snug in the steel square tubing? Adhesive, pressure fit???

There was a post here a while back by a GM that lost a finger when he tapped a tube while loading it. It really made me think. Then I read your post and thought I better make something. I had all the parts in my garage and have enough to make one more. Even had the blue paint. So my cost was zero.

Thanks for posting BTW. Hope you heal up fast. You have to hold the tube by the steel to be safe. I use a little cup I have on my bench for loading the casefeeder to get my wrist about 2 inch's off the bench. Then my hand is no where near the primers. I am going to use it a while before committing to the next one.

Edit: I also meant to say screwdriver in the hole of the pin. It slides out nice and easy.

What keeps the aluminum pick up tube snug in the steel square tubing? Adhesive, pressure fit???

It rattles in the tube with out some RTV. You can kinda see how the square tube is larger then the round tube. I put a dab of RTV Black on each end, if you look close you can see it in the picture with out the tip on the end missing. Just enough to hold it in place. Also the two ends make the square tube a pressure fit from that direction. I did not want to seal the ends. I want everything to vent easily if this thing ever goes BOOM. Tube came from Lowes. Super easy to make really.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Grant22

Glad to hear that you are healing. That really could have been even more devastating. I wonder if the same could happen with the primer tube on the RF100 or if the extra layer would have protected you (primer tuber is encased within another tube).

Thanks for sharing, you will have helped a great number of people directly and indirectly (I have share this with many people).

Continue to heal and best of luck to you...

klinlv

DSC_3727.jpgDSC_3729.jpg

I applaud this ingenuity and resourcefulness, I do have to ask though, aren't you still exposed to the primers when putting the primers on the flip tray (or the RF-100) ?

Now back to filling the next 3 primer tubes for me.

After I read this I went to the shop and loaded 5k of primers and loaded ammo. I really paid attention to everything I did with the primers of course, using a camdex primer filler as well. It is not dry in the shop at all, so I don't worry about the static issue.

I always look at the primers (100) pk to make sure there is priming compound and an anvil before I put them in the machine to load tubes.

I clean the machine and tubes with some alcohol every couple of weeks to make sure there is not an accumulation of primer compound,as it can be problematic.

All I can think of is that there was a primer with an anvil pre compressed that hit wrong. I have crushed and mangle 100s of primers in the past on machines, and not set them off. Talking to other commercial loader they have had the same thing happen with no ill effects. We all agree that you have to be very careful with the primers, especially in bulk.

I don't know if you will ever figure out what happened, but I am glad you are ok and it has not dissuaded you from reloading.

Take care of your wounds and make sure they heal up properly so you don't have a lifetime of issues.

If I can help in anyway let me know.

Good luck,

DougC

I applaud this ingenuity and resourcefulness, I do have to ask though, aren't you still exposed to the primers when putting the primers on the flip tray (or the RF-100) ?

I know your mocking me to a degree. I did this partially just to show Grant how easy it would be to make something. Now I kinda like having it. As far as exposure to the primers in the flip tray, this thing moves your hand away from the primers so that is also a good thing. The tube is .504" with a .068 thickness and it's steel I got from Lowes. I did not block the corners with RTV. Just a dab in one corner on each end. I don't want to test this thing but it's gotta be better then not having any protection. The explosion is not contained, it's vented out the top and bottom. Venting is the key I think. Main thing for me is your hands are not near the primers any longer. Even when pulling the pin. It looks awkward but pulling the pin with the screwdriver isn't bad at all if you don't have to worry about loosing the pin.

DSC_3730.jpg

I fished the string through it so the pin doesn't go flying when I pull the pin with the screwdriver.

I have one last idea I will post a picture in a couple days after I have done it as well. Grant will really like the last improvement he sees in a couple days.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I know your mocking me to a degree. I did this partially just to show Grant how easy it would be to make something. Now I kinda like having it. As far as exposure to the primers in the flip tray, this thing moves your hand away from the primers so that is also a good thing. The tube is .504" with a .068 thickness and it's steel I got from Lowes. I did not block the corners with RTV. Just a dab in one corner on each end. I don't want to test this thing but it's gotta be better then not having any protection. The explosion is not contained, it's vented out the top and bottom. Venting is the key I think. Main thing for me is your hands are not near the primers any longer. Even when pulling the pin. It looks awkward but pulling the pin with the screwdriver isn't bad at all if you don't have to worry about loosing the pin.

DSC_3730.jpg

I fished the string through it so the pin doesn't go flying when I pull the pin with the screwdriver.

I have one last idea I will post a picture in a couple days after I have done it as well. Grant will really like the last improvement he sees in a couple days.

Steves idea is well on the right track for a few reasons.

First, it'll encourage the user to place the hand upward more on the steel (My left hand was at the bottom holding it like a pencil which is where one of the escapes for the explosion was).

Second, yes, rerouting the energy is key, not containing it.

Third, more of a suggestion, to bypass the awkwardness of the screwdriver, buy an ice pick and bend the last 1/8" to 1/4" 90 degrees and you can then pull the clip away from the tube.

One last idea, along the theme of keeping hands away, would be a pair of tongs holding the tube (the steel tube plus keeping my hand away will be necessary for ME to get back on this horse.) I plan on the tongs with a slight larger bisected tube welded to the tips.........it'll make sense when I'm done.

Also, I'm considering using the same zip tie you have there AS the clip.

Steve, you definitely helped by pointing out the square tubing to me. I am going to try to find a way to test it all out once it's done. Remotely of course.

Grant, I can't imagine your hand being in danger holding the tube a couple inch's up. I would just wear a good leather glove. Be aware that the more awkward you make handling the tube the more chance you have of having a mistake. Also, you can stick the blue tip into the black activator of the primer alarm. It centers the tube perfectly over the curled nut/blast shield. I do wonder why your primer alarm has so much damage on the corner. If a primer tube hits that corner it could definitely go off.

Grant, I can't imagine your hand being in danger holding the tube a couple inch's up. I would just wear a good leather glove. Be aware that the more awkward you make handling the tube the more chance you have of having a mistake. Also, you can stick the blue tip into the black activator of the primer alarm. It centers the tube perfectly over the curled nut/blast shield. I do wonder why your primer alarm has so much damage on the corner. If a primer tube hits that corner it could definitely go off.

The tube was centered when I placed it on the primer magazine. I figure the pickup tube in my hand angled during the blast, allowing energy and soot to travel toward that corner.

I'm normally not great at finding the hole ( :blush: ) but I'm pretty sure I was on the mark in this case. Of course it all happened so fast, who the hell knows??

BTW, I don't think the above poster was mocking you. Using the square tubing the way you did IS pretty resourceful.

The tube was centered when I placed it on the primer magazine. I figure the pickup tube in my hand angled during the blast, allowing energy and soot to travel toward that corner.

I'm normally not great at finding the hole ( :blush: ) but I'm pretty sure I was on the mark in this case. Of course it all happened so fast, who the hell knows??

BTW, I don't think the above poster was mocking you. Using the square tubing the way you did IS pretty resourceful.

That is why I mentioned using the low primer alarm lever as a guide. I wonder if that is what Dillon intended anyway? I need to read my instructions again.

That is why I mentioned using the low primer alarm lever as a guide. I wonder if that is what Dillon intended anyway? I need to read my instructions again.

Yup, I usually remove the follower rod and flip the alarm lever back. I'm sure I was centered at least initially. What happened during the blast, I don't know. I do know, though, I wasn't trying to fill the corner of the alarm.

Thanks for all you're doing as far as a pickup tube improvement. I must say, I'm raising an eyebrow at Dillon for having a reinforced primer magazine, a reinforced primer tube on their RF100, but basically a drinking straw in our hand for the primer pickup tube. The more i'm thinking about this, the less I'm impressed.

I just found this thread. I was a reserve (volunteer) officer at the Wichita Police Dept. in the late 70s and spent some time on the police range. They had a Camdex loading machine they were running constantly loading .38 Spl. wadcutters for practice and qualification. They had an automatic primer tube filler too.

One day a tube of about 200 primers blew up. Thankfully no one was badly injured. After much discussion it was decided that the inside of the primer tube had become lined with primer dust over a period of time and a static spark had set off the dust which in turn lit off the primers.

The vibrations of the automatic primer feeder were thought to have contributed to the dust in the tube situation. The remedy was to wash out the primer tubes with hot water every month so the dust didn't have a chance to build up.

Maybe if you have used that tube for a long time it had primer dust that set off the primers the same way. I have never seen a static spark set off a whole primer.

I just found this thread. I was a reserve (volunteer) officer at the Wichita Police Dept. in the late 70s and spent some time on the police range. They had a Camdex loading machine they were running constantly loading .38 Spl. wadcutters for practice and qualification. They had an automatic primer tube filler too.

One day a tube of about 200 primers blew up. Thankfully no one was badly injured. After much discussion it was decided that the inside of the primer tube had become lined with primer dust over a period of time and a static spark had set off the dust which in turn lit off the primers.

The vibrations of the automatic primer feeder were thought to have contributed to the dust in the tube situation. The remedy was to wash out the primer tubes with hot water every month so the dust didn't have a chance to build up.

Maybe if you have used that tube for a long time it had primer dust that set off the primers the same way. I have never seen a static spark set off a whole primer.

Thx for that info. Although I don't think mine has been used enough to accumulate that much dust, it WILL become part of my (hopefully all of ours) routine. Thx again!

Yup, I usually remove the follower rod and flip the alarm lever back. I'm sure I was centered at least initially. What happened during the blast, I don't know. I do know, though, I wasn't trying to fill the corner of the alarm.

Thanks for all you're doing as far as a pickup tube improvement. I must say, I'm raising an eyebrow at Dillon for having a reinforced primer magazine, a reinforced primer tube on their RF100, but basically a drinking straw in our hand for the primer pickup tube. The more i'm thinking about this, the less I'm impressed.

In the future I will be using the primer alarm lever to insure the tube is centered as I won't be looking directly at it when I remove the pin. I am making a little blast shield to prevent that last little bit of open "line of sight" between my face and the primer tube. I could just imagine what would happen if a primer went into your face.

EVERY manufacture has the same basic tube. It's not just dillon. RCBS, Dillon, Hornady. Only Lee has a different setup. And RCBS has a nice setup for the prefilled strips. But they also have a tube version for the same machine. You may want to look at the RCBS setup if your really spooked by the tube. I think what happened to you is so remote. I would be surprised if anyone on this forum ever hears of another incident at all like you describe.

DSC_3730.jpg

Sorry. No mocking intended. I actually like your idea. As I was loading up 2 primer tubes last night, and thinking about how to setup a similar sheath for my tubes, I realized that I was still exposed to the primers as I put the primers on the flip tray and started picking them up with the pickup tube.

I look forward to seeing your next improvement.

DSC_3730.jpg

Sorry. No mocking intended. I actually like your idea. As I was loading up 2 primer tubes last night, and thinking about how to setup a similar sheath for my tubes, I realized that I was still exposed to the primers as I put the primers on the flip tray and started picking them up with the pickup tube.

I look forward to seeing your next improvement.

My last improvement is the little blast shield attached the the primer alarm. Only issue with the design is that it's a little hard to use a pickup tube and not hold it at it's base. I use a plastic scoop (came in a dog food container) to rest my wrist on while I use the pickup tube. That keeps my hand about 2 inch's off the table and I don't want to grab the tube by the base. With that setup it works pretty darn well.