Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Kaboom Yesterday - Please Learn From This

grant22

After seeing this past Wednesday's Mythbusters and how bombproof truck bed liner is, I wonder if coating the pickup tubes with the liner would be more than sufficient to redirect the explosion up and down.

R u speaking of a Line-X type material?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm trying to figure out the bursting primer tube at the spot the OP was holding it. If static did this wouldn't the one rubbing the pin have gone off first? Wouldn't things then follow the path of least resistance?

I'm thinking (and thinking out loud) that maybe since the OP was only loading 50 primers instead of the full load of 100, then flipping the pickup tube would allow the primers to move 5-6 inches possibly bouncing in the pickup tube. With a full load, they only move about 1/2 inch at most. Maybe that combined with the static...yada...yada...yada...

When I spoke with Dillon, they brought up the same point......except I pointed out that I flipped the tube and at least 30 sec went by. It wasn't til I removed the clip that stuff happened.

Also, when there's 100 primers, they all fall down into the magazine, right? 100 move less in the pickup tube, but would fall with more force on the bottom primer than 50 would.

After I explained that, Dillon agreed it probably wasn't the 50 primer theory.

But they ignited in the pickup tube, not the magazine tube...right? Not sure why they would ignite in the pickup tube but at least you didn't loose any fingers or eyes. Best lesson I've learned here is to wear eye protection while loading primers...I have always skipped that step in the wearing of eye protection.

I don't know if you can remember to this level of detail but do you know whether the bang happened when you first touched the pin or while you had your hand on it and were actually pulling it? I would think if it happened the instant you touched the pin that would support the idea of a static discharge but if it happened while you were actually removing the pin that would support a more mechanical cause. Once your hand is on the pin the potential of your hand the pin are the same and a discharge is therefore unlikely.

As far as a possible mechanical cause maybe the primer touching the pin was defective in a way that there was some priming compound touching the pin. So it sits on the pin with the weight of 49 other primer pressing down on it. You pull the pin and it was sort of like striking a match. Pretty unlikely I guess but obviously the whole chain of events is pretty unlikely as evidenced by the fact that no one is stepping up saying they've also had this experience.

After seeing this past Wednesday's Mythbusters and how bombproof truck bed liner is, I wonder if coating the pickup tubes with the liner would be more than sufficient to redirect the explosion up and down.

R u speaking of a Line-X type material?

Sorry, I don't know. If you can identify it visually here's some video where they discuss after the show: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-bedlam-proof-bedliner-aftershow.html

I'm trying to figure out the bursting primer tube at the spot the OP was holding it. If static did this wouldn't the one rubbing the pin have gone off first? Wouldn't things then follow the path of least resistance?

I'm thinking (and thinking out loud) that maybe since the OP was only loading 50 primers instead of the full load of 100, then flipping the pickup tube would allow the primers to move 5-6 inches possibly bouncing in the pickup tube. With a full load, they only move about 1/2 inch at most. Maybe that combined with the static...yada...yada...yada...

When I spoke with Dillon, they brought up the same point......except I pointed out that I flipped the tube and at least 30 sec went by. It wasn't til I removed the clip that stuff happened.

Also, when there's 100 primers, they all fall down into the magazine, right? 100 move less in the pickup tube, but would fall with more force on the bottom primer than 50 would.

After I explained that, Dillon agreed it probably wasn't the 50 primer theory.

But the primers falling into the magazine lands on a flat spot. the primers falling in the tube hits the pin - a small line...just a thought. at least 30 seconds - you sure? 30 seconds is a long time...

-But the primers falling into the magazine lands on a flat spot. the primers falling in the tube hits the pin - a small line...just a thought. at least 30 seconds - you sure? 30 seconds is a long time------Good point on the pin. There was still quite the delay between flipping and the explosion....20, 30 seconds, dunno. I don't do it at the same location as the press. They're about 10 feet apart, and I was in NO rush.

-I don't know if you can remember to this level of detail but do you know whether the bang happened when you first touched the pin or while you had your hand on it and were actually pulling it? I would think if it happened the instant you touched the pin that would support the idea of a static discharge but if it happened while you were actually removing the pin that would support a more mechanical cause. Once your hand is on the pin the potential of your hand the pin are the same and a discharge is therefore unlikely. As far as a possible mechanical cause maybe the primer touching the pin was defective in a way that there was some priming compound touching the pin. So it sits on the pin with the weight of 49 other primer pressing down on it. You pull the pin and it was sort of like striking a match. Pretty unlikely I guess but obviously the whole chain of events is pretty unlikely as evidenced by the fact that no one is stepping up saying they've also had this experience.

I wish I could tell you, but as far as I remember, I was pulling (midstroke, if you will) when the explosion occured.

-scary part is this could happen on any reloading press, not just a 550 and not only on a Dillon.

Yes and I don't want to sound like I'm pointing fingers at Dillon.

-How's the gf reacting, Grant?...and how's the poor dog?

Thanks for asking. The gf has already indicated she'd like me to let go of reloading, but she also has a lot of respect for me and trusts me. She knows if I tell her I can make this safer, she knows I will. The dog is ok also. I think she actually thought she was in trouble yesterday.

Ouch...

Just so I'm clear: you held the tube w/ the injured left hand about where the tube ruptured, and was pulling the cotter pin with your right when things went south?

Not quite. My left (injured) hand was holding the tube like a pencil at the bottom. Right hand was pulling the pin. Rupture likely occured at the highest point of primers. And yes, then things went south :goof:

Edited by grant22

Dunno if this would be contributory to the incident, but I've heard that the pickup tubes can accumulate prmier dust. I will occasionally dip Qtips in rubbing alcohol and push two or three through each tube, end to end. It usually takes a few runs to get them coming out w/out being bright yellow from priming compound.

Dunno if this would be contributory to the incident, but I've heard that the pickup tubes can accumulate prmier dust. I will occasionally dip Qtips in rubbing alcohol and push two or three through each tube, end to end. It usually takes a few runs to get them coming out w/out being bright yellow from priming compound.

Anything is possible, but i'm not too sure about that one in my case.......less than 5k primers thru there......but is always possible.

Is it possible there was some obstruction at/near the top of the primer magazine? I've always noticed that 100 rush out of that thing VERY quickly, and with quite a bit of force. If even 50 struck something solid after building up some momentum (especially something potentially pointy), it could easily touch them off.

Is it possible there was some obstruction at/near the top of the primer magazine? I've always noticed that 100 rush out of that thing VERY quickly, and with quite a bit of force. If even 50 struck something solid after building up some momentum (especially something potentially pointy), it could easily touch them off.

There was no momentum. The primers didn't actually move. If they did,it was 1mm.

There was no momentum. The primers didn't actually move. If they did,it was 1mm.

Ahh, gotcha. You're definitely certain it was about the time you were pulling the pin.

Well, it does raise another thought. You should DEFINITELY check that primer magazine for obstructions after the kB, and before you go back to reloading.

I'd feel better if someone from Dillon Precision would chime in and tell us how this could have happened, and more importantly, how to prevent it.

I'm a little freaked out by this whole ordeal.

Grant, how is your hand?

Grant, I've been reloading for over twenty years and I have to admit this got my attention. Thanks for posting it. I can also promise that I've never even heard of this scenario happening, so I have to put this in the freak occurrence category. I also think it had to be a static discharge. Just about the only thing that makes sense. Hope your hand heals up quick.

Now for all the engineers to chime in. Could one approach this like when working on a PC in regards to ESD? I always grabbed the case to discharge before touching anything on the system board or anything that had memory or chips of any kind on it. Winter is coming on and with winter in Oklahoma ESD is an issue frequently. I'm thinking that setting the loaded primer tube down touching something metal and then loading the primer magazine. Or just discharging before picking one up if you have them preloaded for a session. Would this work?

I'd feel better if someone from Dillon Precision would chime in and tell us how this could have happened, and more importantly, how to prevent it.

I'm a little freaked out by this whole ordeal.

Grant, how is your hand?

It's jacked for now, but it'll heal.....thx for askin'.

I spoke with Dillon (I'm sure you all would like to hear from them directly...understandable) and they said they've never heard of my scenario before. Other than grounding, they've no real solutions at this time, but a) a defective primer and b ) static electricity are both on the short list.

I have some ideas (in addition to grounding) to hopefully keep it from happening and some ideas for ifit does happen again, but I'll have to wait until I heal up a bit.

Edited by grant22