Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cold hands, poor circulation

ErikW

I have some weird Nordic physical condition that causes my body to store too much heat in my body and not radiate it out to my extremities. This isn't just near-hypothermia situations where the body goes into emergency mode and shus down the extremities. So I always have cold hands if the temperature is below about 65 F. Below 60 at a pistol match, it becomes a major problem and I lose fine control of my trigger finger and I can't make a decent reload. At the frigid Area 1 last year, despite wearing insulated gloves (except when shooting) it was such a problem I almost quit because was on the verge of being a safety hazard.

Is there anything I can do to have warmer hands? Vitamin supplements, Rx medication, exercises, whatever. (Don't say gloves or hand warmers, or even keeping the body core warm, as that didn't work at Area 1.)

There used to be this stuff called "fire feet" which I think was basically cayenne powder you sprinkled in the toes of your socks to keep your feet warm. It would work for hands too as long as you reduced the quantity. I think the product itself is long dead since google didn't pop anything up.

I had the same problem back when I used to ski. In fact, it was one of the determining factors in my stopping skiing. Hands weren't the problem but my feet sure were. As it was explained to me, my body (and your's too probably) are cutting back the circulation to your extremities to maintain core body temp. For whatever reason your body thinks that it needs to do this. It is a natural reflex but some people just have this trigger set at too low a threshold.

I now just use the chemical hand warmers (one down each glove) and the chemical toe warmers (the ones that stick on to your socks). Nice and toasty fingers and toes. I shot all winter in snow and cold without any problems.

I have heard that Niacin in large doses will help somewhat as this tends to raise one's basal metabolic rate and therefore the core temp goes up a wee bit and staves off the reflexive action. Be forewarned...don't wash this down with caffienated beverages (especially coffee) as you will get the most intense hot flashes from this. Also, don't use the "flush free" version as this does things to your liver you don't want.

And yes, some people take mega doses of Niacin because they get a rush off it so it is becoming a recreationally abused substance. Weirdos.

There are a number of other vasodialators out there in homeopathic/herbal medicine land. Alcohol is a good one but that isn't likely to help you where shooting is concerned.

And yes, some people take mega doses of Niacin because they get a rush off it so it is becoming a recreationally abused substance.  Weirdos.

Kimel,

Thanks for the information. Frozen feet and hands is a big problem for me, too. I'll try the Niacin and see if it works. Probably ought to buy some before people start to think it's to dangerous for "civilians" to have. <_<

Vitamins as recreational substances???? :wacko: Wow. What's it all coming to??? :ph34r:

Liota

Saul Kirsch sells Heat Factory Hand Warmers. They rule! I've tried them once and will never shoot on a cold range without them.

Hand Warmers

Ah, I just read the...

Don't say gloves or hand warmers, or even keeping the body core warm, as that didn't work at Area 1

...part of your post, so nevermind :(

Keep in mind that Niacin will dilate blood vessels-- leading to more overall cooling.

Yeah...that is kinda one of those double edged sword things. The problem is constricted circulation so you have to dialate the blood vessels to get more blood flow but by doing so you will lose heat faster. In theory this helps the gloves and insulated boots have some heat to retain.

However, Shred is certainly right that you will need to be more aware of hypothermia. Yes, hypothermia can happen at 60 degrees...especially if it is damp and there is a breeze.

Erik,

Try wearing long pants :D Yeah, yeah I know cheap shot!

Have you tried any of the "ThermaCare" heat wraps? I use the small back pain wrap in cold weather for a little extra heat boost. Maybe a little extra 'core heat' would help your problem?

Check these links.

Core Heat

or

Back Pain

Nolan

A couple of shots of Tequila always seems to warm me up. You could hold a lot of it in that camel-back of yours. :)

Oops ... I just re-read your post. For a "Nordic" condition you might want to try Vodka instead. :D

Long-term...

If you work the muscles enough in those extremities, then they will demand more from the circulatory system. Over time, with training demand, your body will adapt (the body has an amazing capacity to adapt to many, many demands). You can condition your body to supply more blood, by demanding more blood.

Same thing goes for the heart. Make it stronger, and it will be more efficient.

So...add pipes, make the current pipes bigger, and make the pump stronger.

Or...move to AZ...better air, better heat, shooting, get a bum-free garage...

I have a similar problem because I have to take relatively high doses of beta blockers for a heart problem and the cold feet/hands syndrome is a side effect. First off, both caffeine and cigarettes will make this worse. Another thing: they used to sell "hunting socks" which warm your feet and run off a small battery. For me, if I get my feet to warm up, the hands automatically warm up too.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread hasn't been added to in a while....

but....

What i recommend for my diabetic patients and PVD patients is:

B6

B12

methyl folate (precursor to folic acid)

Daily:

B6 25 mg

B12 2 mg

folic acid 2.5mg

Or get prescription Metanx

What Flexappeal said. Definitely.

And Niacin. Definitely. Just make sure not to take it out in the cold weather if you have scant warm weather gear to wear. You want to CONSERVE the heat you're generating, not release it to the cosmos.

Wear decent garb around ankles, wrists, neck and head when out in the cold. Or wherever you know that the circulatory system is more exposed to the surface than other areas.

The Vit. B therapy is good, too--for lots of reasons.

Or maybe you just need a good beating by the SiG Lady. That'll raise your blood temp a little. Maybe to the boiling point. Oh, I forgot... you're there most of the time anyhow. Except for your feet and hands. Oh well, I tried.

:lol::P

Might try a google search on Raynaud's disease/phenomenon. If it sounds like what you're experiencing I'd see your MD. I don't know if they still prescribe calcium channel blockers for this (I haven't really kept up on the Raynaud's literature), but it might be worth a conversation. If it's really bad a surgical sympathectomy could be considered, but that would be pretty radical, and definitely a last resort.

• 13 years later...