Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G-24 Recoil spring

rcc96

Duane,

I tried it and that was the case, at least in my gun. It was after the 2nd range session when I was picking up brass that I noticed some of the primers had an elongated firing pin mark. Later after I cleaned the gun (rare for me)it failed the recoil spring safety test more than it passed. When first reassembled it would pass but after 1/2 hour of dry fire practice (lousy TV schedule), it failed more than it passed.

I just had my 1st recoil spring die on me this weekend... Running a 14# wolff. I've been shooting 180gr at 181 PF. I have about 2800 rounds through it with this spring. During the match this weekend I had malfunctions on 3 stages where it would not fully go into battery. I'd drop the mag, and then the slide would close fully. In the "haze" of the match, I though a dirty chamber was to blame (Glocks don't need to be cleaned, do they?? :surprise: ) When I did the safety check after I got home, gun would not return to battery. Waiting on my new spring now. I have learned my lesson about not having a back-up on hand!

I just had my 1st recoil spring die on me this weekend... Running a 14# wolff. I've been shooting 180gr at 181 PF. I have about 2800 rounds through it with this spring. During the match this weekend I had malfunctions on 3 stages where it would not fully go into battery. I'd drop the mag, and then the slide would close fully. In the "haze" of the match, I though a dirty chamber was to blame (Glocks don't need to be cleaned, do they?? :surprise: ) When I did the safety check after I got home, gun would not return to battery. Waiting on my new spring now. I have learned my lesson about not having a back-up on hand!

Probably not what you want to hear but in my 1911's I changed Wolff springs every 2000 rounds or I too would start getting jams. In a Glock I think IMSI springs run better but my 24C has an extended guide rod made for Wolff springs so the is what I am running until they barf.

The late George Nonte had what I've always felt was an excellent rule on when to replace your recoil spring. Have a brand new spring set aside for use - and when I say "new" I mean it's never even been in the gun. Every time you clean the piece, compare the length of the new spring to the old. When the old spring's become so compressed it's three coils shorter than the brand-new spring, toss the old one and replace with the new. Therefore you don't have to worry about counting rounds between spring changes. And some gun/spring combos get worn out a lot faster than others. Simply comparing the length of old to new will stop you from continuing to run a worn-out spring, even though it's been so compressed the gun is battering itself on every shot, until you reach the magic number. It also stops you from throwing away a spring that might still be perfectly good.