Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large Pistol Primers?

sbpt1911

Hi all, I received all my parts to start loading 45ACP on my Lee Loadmaster, which I have used for reloading .223 Rem and .357 Mag. I have only used CCI primers.

I went to my shooting supply store, and he only had Federal Large Pistol primers. So I bought 1000. After setting up the press and installing the new "large" primer feeder, I read the warning about if using any primer other than CCI or Winchester - to use the optional explosion shield.

I ordered the explosion shield (haven't received yet).

My question is this - Should I return or get rid of the Federal primers and get CCI? Or just install the explosion shield and load away?

Edited by sbpt1911

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had any primers explode on me and I have used a Lee single stage, RCBS rock chuker, and a Hornady progressive press. But I know that it has happened before to other users. I wear glasses anyway so I never give it a second thought, but you only have one set of eyes so I would at the least wear safety glasses.

Um......I know at least 5...Uh, oldtmers..lol that have scars on their face from federal primers blowing up on the lee tray. There is a reason for the warning and the blast shield available.

I have had tubes of primers go off. There is no way in hell I would load on a salt shaker full of primers. There is also a reason that dillon machines have a blast tube around the primer tube.

You are wise to wait for the Winchesters. Save the federals for when you get another press.

Regards ,

DougC

I use a Lee single stage for Federal primers for my 45 and 38/357 revolvers w/ light trigger. It's slow but effective for correctly seating primers below flush with the case. Gotta have a clean pocket, tho. What spefically is the problem w/ Lee equipment and Federal primers? Is there a method to minimize or eliminate the problem?

LEE primer seaters aren't very sensitive, have a lot of mechanical advantage, and you really can't tell when you're crushing a primer. I've crushed primers in the past, but have never detonated one. LEEs not going to change anything, they're in business to manufacture the cheapest reloading tools they can, and aren't likely to change their business model. For most brass smashers, LEE is good enough. If you want something different, buy elsewhere.

Federal primers are softer and hence easier to set off. That said, I've used the old hand-prime tool from Lee to load them and have never set one off.

These days I typically stick with Winchester or CCI (though I recently just got a good deal on a case of Fiocchi primers so I'll be using those for a good while), but I did go ahead and order the Ram-prime tool just in case I ever buy anymore Federals. I still load on a single stage so using it wouldn't be THAT much slower than normal.

I blew 140 Federals in a Lee Pro 1000 about 21 years ago. My left hand (which was around the press for some leverage, of course) was about five inches from the full tray. Even my right hand was too sore to open a door to get help, so you can imagine the left. I still have have scar tissue covering a large portion of my left hand.

The solution is Dillon .............