Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with OAL for czsp01 with frontier 124gr Fp bullets

JeffSta70

Hi, I'm reloading for my czsp01 and using frontier cmj FP 124gr bullets which are a plated projectile with WSF powder and CCI primers, my OAL is 1.070 which by all accounts is very short but I have found that to much longer and I start to have feeding problems. I got to this OAL by seating the bullet a bit longer without crimping it then cycling it through the gun which seated the bullet further giving me the 1.070, the theory being that the uncrimped bullet would hit the langs and find its true seating depth.

My issue is that I can't seem to find any data on reloading frontier bullets and being new to reloading I don't want to start having pressure issues because im seating the bullets to far. I realize that if I change to round nose the OAL with change.

Hi, I'm reloading for my czsp01 and using frontier cmj FP 124gr bullets which are a plated projectile with WSF powder and CCI primers, my OAL is 1.070 which by all accounts is very short but I have found that to much longer and I start to have feeding problems. I got to this OAL by seating the bullet a bit longer without crimping it then cycling it through the gun which seated the bullet further giving me the 1.070, the theory being that the uncrimped bullet would hit the langs and find its true seating depth.

My issue is that I can't seem to find any data on reloading frontier bullets and being new to reloading I don't want to start having pressure issues because im seating the bullets to far. I realize that if I change to round nose the OAL with change.

I used to shoot those bullets, prolly 10K thru my Shadow. Always loaded to OAL 1.085" - worked fine.

You may need to re-think your process of settling on OAL thou. Thing is, if you don't crimp and cycle such round, it'll set back as been pushed further into case while round is chambering due to bullet hitting feed ramp and then top of the chamber.

More approprite way is to load 20-30 rounds with say OAL 1.10" and do barrel drop-in test. Put aside rounds that don't fall out freely, check OAL on those, seat them deeper by 0.005". Repeat drop test, seat deeper if need be, and make sure all 20-30 rounds are dropping in and out freely, then measure OAL for your notes. Do drop-in test on a barrel out of the gun. All rounds will have slightly different OAL, that's normal. Note the greatest and average ones.

That particular bullet should work at OAL 1.085". I only shot it loaded with Hodgdon Universal Clays. 4.0gr charge, that gave me velocity 1098 and PF 135.

Also, note that due to bullet profile you will most likely need to shorten/re-profile 'knub' of the slide stop.

Edited by CeeZer

I used to shoot those bullets, prolly 10K thru my Shadow. Always loaded to OAL 1.085" - worked fine.

You may need to re-think your process of settling on OAL thou. Thing is, if you don't crimp and cycle such round, it'll set back as been pushed further into case while round is chambering due to bullet hitting feed ramp and then top of the chamber.

More approprite way is to load 20-30 rounds with say OAL 1.10" and do barrel drop-in test. Put aside rounds that don't fall out freely, check OAL on those, seat them deeper by 0.005". Repeat drop test, seat deeper if need be, and make sure all 20-30 rounds are dropping in and out freely, then measure OAL for your notes. Do drop-in test on a barrel out of the gun. All rounds will have slightly different OAL, that's normal. Note the greatest and average ones.

That particular bullet should work at OAL 1.085".

Also, note that due to bullet profile you will most likely need to shorten/re-profile 'knub' of the slide stop.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. Sounds like a much better process

Looks as you were replying while I was still editing the post.

I think the only change is my addition of powder and load data for it.

Edit: PF127-130 is fine. I now use Berry's 124gr RN bullets with Clays (not Univ. Clays) and load to PF129.

Edited by CeeZer

Thank you for the article!

But in short, I personally tested the bullet quite extensively, shot it in USPSA matches in WA for over 2 years too. My posted OAL should work in OP gun with no issues. But slide stop will most likely need to be modified.

One may call me 'cheap' but I know I'll be shooting at least 60K rounds with same barrel and most likely 100K-150K with same gun. Even if I lower my reloading cost by 50c per 100rds, that's savings of $5/1000rds and thus $300 for 60K rds. New barrel is $150. If my reloading cost is lower by $10/1K rds - I save $600 while shooting 60K rds.

I shoot about 20-25K a year, not much, I know.

Edited by CeeZer

Just read the article, very interesting, case in point I had some feeding issues today and the flat nose seems to have been the culprit, Im down to my last 800rds of flat nose so may change out to round nose and see how those go.

Hi all, thanks for the assistance, what i dont understand though is the modify the slide stop due to the profile of the bullet? could you explain this

The 'knub' that comes in contact with magazine follower may need to be 'shortened' to something like this:

P1000161.jpg

Just read the article, very interesting, case in point I had some feeding issues today and the flat nose seems to have been the culprit, Im down to my last 800rds of flat nose so may change out to round nose and see how those go.

or just a different flat nose bullet, something with a longer nose profile. i've not seen the Frontier bullets in person, but from the pictures on their website they look to have a somewhat short nose, and an OAL of 1.070 is a bit on the short side but not nearly as bad as some bullets like the Sierra JHP design that usually require a very short OAL to fit in some chambers. some folks have experienced that FN bullets tend to be more accurate than RN bullets, but you'll have to test that for yourself in your gun. ultimately reliability is most important. CZs are uber-reliable, and very accurate with a wide range of bullet designs, just a little picky about OAL.