Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading tray vs. ammo box

Gadgetech

I'm at the very beginning stages of reloading and I'm looking at all the stuff to be bought and wondering why you would need a reloading trays and ammo boxes. It seems to me that you can just load up a round and stick it in the ammo box so please tell me what role a reloading tray plays that an ammo box doesn't. Maybe I'm over thinking this...wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: ...

If it is a single stage press its easy to go right to the box, if you are using a progressive they fall in the tray while you keep cranking more out

I'm glad I could make your first post an easy one...ha That makes perfect sense and as I just ordered a RL550B, It's obvious why that wasn't obvious.

I'm at the very beginning stages of reloading and I'm looking at all the stuff to be bought and wondering why you would need a reloading trays and ammo boxes. It seems to me that you can just load up a round and stick it in the ammo box so please tell me what role a reloading tray plays that an ammo box doesn't. Maybe I'm over thinking this...wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: ...

A reloading tray you won't need with a 550.. it is used to hold primed casings when you charge casings with powder in a single stage setup and holds the charged rounds while you seat the projectiles before pressing them home.

Sometimes I use them when I am trimming cases for my rifles to keep track of which ones are done and which need doing or a load workup where I am loading say 10 a piece at a different charge weight and can label them and keep them organized...

Ammo boxes are for storage unless you prefer zip lock bags or Crown Royal bags :cheers: I prefer ammo boxes because I get one last look at the primers and can mark the casings to tell me what they are loaded with ( in load development stages) or mark my brass from everyone else ( a simple black line or blue primer etc.)

John

on a semi related note, the plastic trays that come in the 50 count Speer boxes for .40 and .45 rds fit into .50 cal ammo cans like they were MADE FOR IT. Handy for storage. 1000 rds of pistol fits in a can like it was meant to be.