Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines in Safe Area?

mbopp

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does ANYONE here know who WTG is? Where WTG shoots? I get the feeling that WTG is trolling here and just stirring the pot. Can anyone be this dense when the various rules have been explained by so many who are much more eloquent than I.

I'm glad you said it because you did it a lot more diplomatically than I would have. A significant amount of her posts make me feel as though she has never participated in a USPSA match or even opened the rule book.

Things such as "so an RO can put his hands on me" in the gun behind the hip thread, this one about "what's a cold range" and "where do you load mags" and several others I can't think of right now make me go hmmmmmm.

You said: "Keep in mind that there is 180 degrees of separation from those in the safety area and the COF." ---hm. You mean that people are handling firearms and pointing them in completely the opposite direction of the berms used in the course of fire? Interesting.

Although I don't agree with the idea of designating cars as safety areas, I can almost see how this is laid out. Consider a range layout like this:

^ -------

|

N UUUUUUU

The U's are the bays, downrange is South, and the dashes are the parking lot. Presumably, people normally park with their trunks/tailgates towards the bays. (eg. Nose to the north, tail to the south) This would make the "safe direction" that every safe area is suppose to have to be away from the the spectators standing at the opening of the bays. Of course, that only works as long as it's always nose in parking. The minute somebody backs in their car into a parking slot... surprise.gif

Ken has it right. A safety area doesn't need to be complicated. A simple card table or a folding 6-foot table with a sign on it is sufficient. If it can't be a permanent fixture at the range, it should fit easily in the back of a volunteer's truck or SUV for transport on match days.

Just wondering. How many people show up for your local matches? How many safety tables are used?. Do you have one per bay or one for the whole match? Wind and dust devils are something we have to deal with and may very well be a consideration to make vehicles the safety area since your vehicle can provide protection and stability as card tables can be picked up and deposited elsewhere when these come through or the wind picks up.

The range does provide picnic tables on the ranges where we shoot but that is where people sit who are resting or about to shoot. They are in no way large enough to handle the numbers you find in a squad let alone handle the requirements of those using wheelchairs,walkers or on oxygen. Again maybe another reason vehicles are used as safety areas. Who knows? I see using vehicles as safety areas being practical. That being said I would rather have another range set aside just to handle all needs but we already use 4 as it is and I can see in the future our local USPSA either restricting the number of those allowed to shot or going to multiple days which I seriously doubt will be allowed by range management. Just my guess based on the fact that I see more new shooters every time I go to the range. I'm seeing more people at the matches I shoot. Everything seems to be growing in size. Heck even late Friday afternoon is getting busy. Thankfully we will have an indoor range opening next year but I know it too will be busy as you will be able to rent and fire full auto weapons at this indoor range. I hope to be one of their first members. That being said time to head to the gun show.

safe area = handle gun

everywhere else = not handle gun

how is that concept so difficult?

and since i'm not even sure anyone answered your ludicrous question; a cold range is a range at which guns are carried around unloaded as opposed to a hot range where the guns stay loaded.

I understand the frustration, but a number of recent posts go well beyond the Forum Guidelines, and the guidelines specifically posted in the Rules forum.

The question here has been asked and answered many times over. If anyone has something significant to add, please PM a Moderator and we'll take it under consideration.

Thanks...

dftt