Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

back-up guns

hrt4me

First, which matches, if any, allow a competitor to switch to a back-up gun (rifle, shotgun or pistol) during a match if the primary gun goes down?

Under what conditions (i.e. when) is a competitor allowed to switch to a back-up gun?

Finally, who brings back-up guns to matches, and what do you bring; something identical to the primary gun, or just something similar but not exactly the same?

For USPSA handgun:

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all

courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s

original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during

a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or

sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the

substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant

Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a

competitive advantage.

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate

ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of

whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

5.1.7.4 If the original handgun/ammunition was not previously tested,

and if the original handgun has already been used on a stage, and

can be safely fired (i.e. the malfunction is not related to an

inability to safely fire the handgun), then the original handgun

and its ammunition supply remain subject to testing.

5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a handgun during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6

You can switch if the MD allows it and your primary gun becomes out of service. By no competative advantage, I don't see many MD allowing someone to shoot the whole match with a 1x4 scope on a rifle then it somehow go out of service for the last stage which is long distance rifle and oh, my backup gun is sporting a 4x12 scope on it. If the gun is basically similar I havent seen a MD have a problem.

Finally, who brings back-up guns to matches, and what do you bring; something identical to the primary gun, or just something similar but not exactly the same?

Since moving to an Open gun I will take a back up to any majors I go to. But my backup is my trusty Glock 34!roflol.gif

I'm not as well heeled as the guys who have 2 or 3 of every gun they compete with.

At least I'll get to finish the match!cheers.gif

My back up to my open gun is my 6" limited gun.

My back up to my 6" limited gun is my EDGE.

When all I has was my EDGE my back up was my Glock 20 with a .40 barrel because I was able to use the same long loaded ammo in it.

Two years ago at Area 2 I was having open gun problems and decided to not mess with them. Just before the chrono I decided to change to my 6" limited gun. I caught the MD drivig by on the golf cart and OK'd it with him. Luckly I was able to borrow a 170 .40 mag and ended up not doing too bad.

Neal in AZ

Trying to get started in shooting everytime I read something seems to me my bank account can't handle me shooting competition. Saving for a STI now but really can't afford to have a back up gun at this point. I know everything is unpredictable but how often is a back up gun necessary? Figure I wouldn't have problems with new pistol.

I thought the same thing but mine has been down several times over the last couple of months. At this point my backup is an XDM 9mm. Needless to say there is a big difference between the XDM and my STI. I am talking to the wife right now about getting an STI backup gun.

Well Im going to have to keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens. Its been hard enough to talk my wife into letting me SAVE (key word) to get the first STI let alone get one just for back up. I guess my H&K better do the trick for back up, was thinking of either giving it to my son or selling to get the STI faster.

I understand that STI's are not cheap and that not everyone can afford one or even two. I have been fortunate that I have received decent bonuses (for working 80+ hour weeks) both last year and this year. I am also very blessed that my wife is supportive of my hobby and that I am able to spend the bonuses on my hobby. Again I understand that not everyone is as fortunate, especially in the current economy. But while I have the money in hand I am going to get that backup gun.

Dont get me wrong I have a great wife, its like you said STI are'nt cheap. What I hear from her is how many guns do you need, I tell her one more then i have. I was a project manager but as we all know the construction business is'nt doing that good, when you can buy a forecloser for 50 cents on the dollar or better even commercial building is bad. Going back to school now to get into the medical field, that also is'nt cheap. So to make everyone happy I'll save up some extra money that she wont even miss to get one. Gives me time to makeup my mind on what I want.

I think in most multigun events, only Trooper class doesn't allow subs.. you get kicked to Tactical, or Open if any gun goes down - that may not be exact - someone more knowledgeable might chime in on that.

For the other divisions, I think it's very rare to bring backups, just too much stuff to carry, if someones else's gun goes down, usually people just borrow the closest thing someone else on the stage has. Sure helps if you have friends on the squad (especially if the caliber is different), but I've seen numerous cases where they were strangers before the match started.

RMs are supposed to ok the substitution in all cases I believe..

I always liked iron Man for that, a shotgun goes down, someone will run up with some sort of in-stage replacement.. I got handed an 870 onetime my 1100 croaked.. took me a back for a few seconds to realize what was different.. than I finished up.

I always take a back-up rifle, shotgun, and pistol to matches if I drive. I've never needed any of the three, but they are sitting waiting patiently in the truck if needed. It makes it a pain in the ass to go in the motel each evening because I don't leave any guns in the truck.

My match rifle is a Springfield M1A, back up is a Norinco M14s. Very similar rifles, but the back-up doesn't have a brake, and cost 1/2 as much. (Ironically it shoots almost as well as the SA.)

Match shotgun is a Benelli Nova, back up is my old 870. Match pistol is a Kimber SS, back-up is a Kimber SS.

You guys' problem is your gear is too nice! Shoot cheaper stuff and you can afford a back-up! :ph34r:

:cheers:

I always have a backup gun for the matches usually I try to use the same caliber so I don't have to carry 2 types of ammo. My primary backup gun is a Glock 17 that backs up my G34 that I usually shoot.

I bring two of each gun to every major match.

My backup for my SLP is a Nova, but I load it faster and can shoot it almost as fast, so if my SLP breaks-down and I had to go to a pump I don't feel it would be too much of a disadvantage.

2 Iron sighted 20" frankenguns for rifle. One can sub for the other, or I can steal parts from one if need be.

2 Glocks in .40 cal, a 35 and a 22. Same deal as the rifles. Same gear works for both.

I hate toting all this crap around, but being 8-10 hours from home, I like peace of mind.

If I drive to a major match, i usually take similar (but no premo) back up guns. That saves on having to haul parts - that I might not be able to figure out how to use anyway! After being in this game for several years you'll probably accumulate sufficient spares of whatever you shoot most.

For local matches, i keep a Glock 19 in the vehicle with holster, mags & puches and ammo. I have had to use it a couple of times. Such as when a front sight breaks and flies off. For local 3 gun, I figure I can borrow a long gun if necessary, but I've never had to do that.

I used to bring them. After 10 yrs and only once having a gun break anything I do not bother anymore. I bring a few spare parts, that's it. You can find just about anything you might need if your resourcefull enough, and do your pre-match practical maintenance. If you've had a gun go down a couple times in the last few months like someone mentioned, its time to evaluate what that guns role should be. It would not be my match pistol.

For local matches, my pistol back up is my carry gun. I keep mags in the truck in case I need them. Locally, I don't bring rifle back up. Shotgun is my 870 backing up my 11-87. If I travel more than the usual 2 hours, and it is a major type match, I bring a spare rifle along with the above.

None of my gear is expensive type competition gear. It is all middle of the road and has been acquired over time.

To those looking at starting out, I suggest you buy serviceable middle of the road gear and when you decide you need better, buy slowly and use the original gear as back up.

For local matches I only bring what I need. I'm bringing enough crap that I don't want to have too much. I'm normally with a few friends so I can barrow gear if needed and the drive time is not a big factory if I can't shoot the whole match. When I was shooting just IDPA, I would always bring a second identical pistols to matches. Never had to use it. Our local matches are pretty low round count so I don't see needing to bring extra stuff...

• 4 weeks later...

I think in most multigun events, only Trooper class doesn't allow subs.. you get kicked to Tactical, or Open if any gun goes down - that may not be exact - someone more knowledgeable might chime in on that.

I just figure in Trooper division, you can have backups...as long as you can hump 'em. Extra rifle, shottie, pistol, plus ammo, etc...ouch.

You can tell an Airborne Ranger by his ruck (by his ruck)

You can tell an Airborne Ranger by his ruck.

It's as big as a truck, and it's heavy as f...

I just got back into shooting this year and most of the year has been just getting my stuff together, Dillon, rifle, shotgun, just ordered my pistol tonight so back-ups while are in the future are just going to have to wait BUT they will be gotten. I'm a single guy and while I do ok I don't get to stash the mad money back like when I was married so the back-ups are slow coming.

You guys with wives that support you in your hobby are very lucky! Later,

Kirk

For Trooper at Ironman this year

I carried and iron sight Glock 34 to back up my 34 with RMR: Rain can make the red dot useless, I never needed to use it though.

I carried my M2 Benelli to back up my Saiga-12 if it totally screwed up. I never needed to use it.

I carried a spare upper with Aimpoint that I elected to use on some close quarters only stages vs my ACOG, it was also a back up if the primary went down.

When I haven't carried back ups is when I ended up wishing I did.

My back up gun is usually the from the most generous squad-mate! Luckily, I haven't had any problem needing a back up, but it has been my expierence if that happens....ususally someone will let you use theirs. Just don't beat them with their own gun 'cause they may not let you use it again on the next stage! :roflol: