Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CasePro 100 Question

I was processing some 9mm today thru my CasePro 100 and came up with a question: Should I de-prime before running the cases thru the Case Pro or does it really make any difference in the long run? I was thinking that I should de-prime them first to then let the Case Pro restore the primer hole to it's OEM state. That wouldn't happen if the case still had the used primer in it when I run them thru. Does the Case Pro have any effect on the empty primer hole?

Edited by The_Vigilante

If its strong enough to get the rim back in spec (if they are out of spec prior) then it probably wouldn't matter whether it's left in or not.

Unless you're running your 9mm brass more than a handful of times AND shooting major pf, I wouldn't worry about it either way. The extra processing probably isn't worth the candle.

I don't have answers for you, only observations and comments.

Comment - I'd heard that a CasePro will tighten primer pockets

Observation - I run my cases, both 40 and 9mm, through my CasePro with the spent primers still in, and the pockets don't seem appreciably tighter when seating new primers.

Comment - I find that Winchester brass seems to expand in the extractor groove. I had a vague hope that my Case Pro would perhaps help that.

Observation - It didn't.

Comment - I'd heard that a Case Pro will help dinged up rims.

Observation - It does help. Cases that would sometimes hang up in a gauge because of burrs got better.

Will the Case Pro help the primer pocket if the primer isn't in? Given how "squashable" the brass is on primers, and given my experience above, I'm a bit doubtful, but only trying it will tell you for sure.

One last comment - I'll bet your Case Pro will be dirtier and maybe a bit grittier if you run the cases without the primers.

Edited by kevin c

Hate to be myth buster but Houston Leclaire and I did some testing with guages go/nogo he made to measure the primer pockets before and after running them thru the case pro. We did the test with 38 Super but the same holds true for 9 mm. The results of the test were that the CasePro only slightly shrunk the primer pockets and did not put them back to spec. He is a machinist and works on CNC machines and spends most of his time in Dave Dawsons shop, so he knows what he is doing, I just pull the handle.

So to the question, the answer, don't bother to deprime.

My case pro is shimmed to get the case back to spec demensions. I run all my 9 mm brass for 9 major thru it as well as 38S, and 38SC and 40. Great machine, guns run 100% on these reloaded cases. I still drop check every round, but few rejects.

If its strong enough to get the rim back in spec (if they are out of spec prior) then it probably wouldn't matter whether it's left in or not.

Unless you're running your 9mm brass more than a handful of times AND shooting major pf, I wouldn't worry about it either way. The extra processing probably isn't worth the candle.

I don't have answers for you, only observations and comments.

Comment - I'd heard that a CasePro will tighten primer pockets

Observation - I run my cases, both 40 and 9mm, through my CasePro with the spent primers still in, and the pockets don't seem appreciably tighter when seating new primers.

Comment - I find that Winchester brass seems to expand in the extractor groove. I had a vague hope that my Case Pro would perhaps help that.

Observation - It didn't.

Comment - I'd heard that a Case Pro will help dinged up rims.

Observation - It does help. Cases that would sometimes hang up in a gauge because of burrs got better.

Will the Case Pro help the primer pocket if the primer isn't in? Given how "squashable" the brass is on primers, and given my experience above, I'm a bit doubtful, but only trying it will tell you for sure.

One last comment - I'll bet your Case Pro will be dirtier and maybe a bit grittier if you run the cases without the primers.

Hate to be myth buster but Houston Leclaire and I did some testing with guages go/nogo he made to measure the primer pockets before and after running them thru the case pro. We did the test with 38 Super but the same holds true for 9 mm. The results of the test were that the CasePro only slightly shrunk the primer pockets and did not put them back to spec. He is a machinist and works on CNC machines and spends most of his time in Dave Dawsons shop, so he knows what he is doing, I just pull the handle.

So to the question, the answer, don't bother to deprime.

My case pro is shimmed to get the case back to spec demensions. I run all my 9 mm brass for 9 major thru it as well as 38S, and 38SC and 40. Great machine, guns run 100% on these reloaded cases. I still drop check every round, but few rejects.

My experiences are the same.

I don't deprime before roll sizing, just clean.

I certainly didn't believe it until it happened to me....LOL.

While running my 9mm Camdex I was having problems with resized brass(resized but not roll sized) sticking in the sizing die. Once I roll sized the brass with the casepro it runs through the machine like butter.

When resizing brass the roll size acutally does more than you think, and resizing rollsized brass is sooooo much easier on your arm as well.

In my experience it doesn't do anything for the primer pocket...Would be nice if it did.