Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder for .223 heavy bullets?

I like Winchester 748, it is perfect for 223 and meters very consistently with Dillon’s powder dispensers.

Jim

I just wanted 2750 because it's said to be the best speed for the 77 and velocity is always good for countering drop and drift

Then by all means take it up, but watch the primers after 2725, a pierced one is a real hoot :(

BTW, have you run the 300 yard drift in a 10 MPH wind for various velocities? With a G5 (boat tail) correction of .229 to the published BC of .369 for the SMK77 you get 10.19” drift at 2600fps, 9.54” drift at 2700fps and 9.24” drift at 2750fps. The drop differences are identical.

Not a lot to be gained until you go 2800+ where the real hot-rodders go. I‘d stay at 2700 if I were you and this is why I am happy at 2650 with my 77’s. The load I use is really tight across the chrono and ½ MOA or better when it gets it’s a$$ downrange.

--

Regards,

I'm glad to hear 2230-C is a good option. I just ordered 16 lbs from wideners to replace my now empty jug of WCC844. Quite a savings compared to using H335 for my 55 & 69 grain bullets.

I like Winchester 748, it meters extremely well with the Dillon powder measure. It also is a very accurate and clean burning powder especially with heavier bullets.

Jim

I like Winchester 748, it meters extremely well with the Dillon powder measure. It also is a very accurate and clean burning powder especially with heavier bullets.

Here is Winchesters load data for 748 under a 69gr projectile (max load)

69 grains HPBT 748 24.5 2870 51,500 psi

They do not list any loading for projectiles heavier than 69 gr. There is a reason.

Do not use 748 under any projectile heavier than 69-70gr, it is little too fast. Even reduced charges can be dangerous under heavies with 748. It is fine for anything from 50gr to 70gr in .223. Use a slower powder under anything heavier.

BTW, I used to like 25.0 748 under a SMK69 loaded to 2.245” OAL, but find that 24.5 of Varget does a better job on the target face and over the chrono for me*. I also notice that my 55gr 748 loads dirty up the JP tank brake with a black greasy soot that builds up fast, but Varget leaves the comp real clean with a light blue coloring to the residue it does leave. If I only shoot Varget, the brake doesn’t need much attention when cleaning. Anyone else notice this about Varget?

*(always reduce by 5% and work back up whenever trying anyone else‘s recipe).

--

Regards,

Edited by George

• 9 months later...

Here is my read on the 748 under a .223 heavy thing based on the mfgr data available.

748 is listed at 24.5gr under a 69 grain projectile as max load by WW. Whereas a (somewhat) similar ball powder from AA (2520) is listed at 27gr under a 69 grainer. The velocities and pressures are a little different, but this tells me that 2520 is a little slower than 748.

Now another snippet of data. AA 2520 is know as a solid performer under an 80 grainer in .223 (about 23 grains) and is in use in High Power as we speak, whereas 748 under anything other than a 69er is not in general usage.

Even though neither Accurate or Winchester rate 2520, or 748 as good under anything heavier than 69-70. One is in general usage, one isn’t as much so.

They are both spooky under the sun as most ball powders are. This isn’t a problem if the load is safe in the first place and the brass is good and fresh.. The biggest issue would be varying POI, which may not put you off a steel target at 300 yards, but it can suddenly put you out of the X, or 10 ring at 300 (and beyond).

There is some data, make up your own mind.

Here is a PDF copy of the AA manual:

http://www.glinder.com/files/competitionsh...oading_data.pdf

--

Regards,

If you want to know how to run a "heavy" 224 bullet (69+) then see what the service rifle shooters are using. Like one of the earlier posts said get the books from Glen Zediker. That boy knows his stuff when it comes to ARs.

http://www.zediker.com/

Contrary to an earlier post, most highpower shooters don't hot rod because those few extra fps don't make a hill of beans difference at 600 yds, but a blown primer can ruin your day.

748 is a great powder when you are using lighter weight bullets. It will handle 69ers, but there are powders that do so much better why bother. VV makes several that work well at 69 and above.

Ramshot TAC is the cat's meow though. Meters like water, handles 69-80 grainers perfectly, doesn't cost what VV does, and gets good velocity without the pressure problems.

Sierra makes a great 77gr that is designed for magazine length and betters the 69 BC by a good margin.

• 4 years later...

The solution to using Varget on the Dillon is to remove the Dillon powder measure and use a small chamber baffle equipped Uniflow measure with case activated linkage from Hornady (or RCBS, however the Hornady is identical and cheaper).

I have run extensive tests with this setup and compared to a Dillon measure with a tapered powder die it, is statistically over twice as accurate. And you don't have the bridging problem that causes major powder spill cleanups like the Dillon measure. The uniflow with case activated linkage is also much smother then the Dillon. You will occasionally crush a case if the measure has trouble cutting a grain, but this is a rare occurrence.

This setup will produce quality ammo that is capable of highmaster national championship level scores.

BTW: TAC works very well out of the Dillon Powder measure and is also a great powder for the 223.

Ken Littlefield

Coach & Administrator

WSRPA Junior Highpower

Edited by LittlefieldK

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after ready some of the posts here, I polished the powder funnel on the Dillon 550. Used 400 and finished with Simicrome polish. What a BIG difference.

Before polishing I'd get powder kernals dropping after moving to the next station. Not any more. The powder appears to settle in the case better.

I've been using A2230 for the 55gr FMJBT and Varget for the 68gr HPBT.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have recently purchased some Accurate "Data Powder 2200" and I am seeking reloading data for this stuff in 5.56 ammunition and 308 if applicable. Accurate has very limited information and I am wondering if there are other sources for safe, accurate, and reliable information for reloading this stuff. I know that I should not start with the powder, but at $30 for 16 pounds it just couldn't be passed up. Powder is in original containers and had the sealed paper on the top inside the plastic cap