Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need proper wording for WSB. Walls that don't extend to infinity.

cas

Stripping it down to it's simplest explanation;

There are two walls of the appropriate height, side by side with a gap in the middle. (because of other walls and FFZ you can't shoot through the gap in the middle.)

To give a choice between time vs difficulty and to leave a way for the less physically able to still shoot it;

On the left wall the shooter will have the option of shooting under the wall or around the outside.

On the right the shooter has the option of shooting over the wall or around the outside.

My question is I'm not sure how to word that in the WSB.

Do I say "Engage T1-T3 around or under wall A."

Or just say "Engage all targets as the became visible." And add "Wall A doesn't extend to the ground. Wall B doesn't extend to infinity."

Or some other way? I could call under wall A a port, but what about over wall B?

I plan on painting visual reminders, arrows on the walls pointing under/around, over/around, but I'm not sure what's the right way to word the WSB.

Any ideas?

Make the top of wall A be around the 7 foot mark which a 4 foot wide piece of plywood 3 feet off the ground would do it. That leaves room underneath to shoot.

Put a piece of 4 foot wide on the ground and then a second 4 foot wide piece above it with a gap of 3 inches or so and offer it as a port to shoot thru on wall B.

Make a target on the very end of wall b behind it to where its a struggle to see from the port but wide open from around the edge.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I would say something like: "Engage targets as visible over, around, or under walls. Walls are as built." If somebody asks, tell them to read 2.2.3.3. Build up Wall A taller to make in really difficult to shoot over it unless some 7 foot shooter really tries. :-)

Edited by Skydiver

2.2.3.3 Unless otherwise specified in the written stage briefing, all such

barriers, walls, vision barriers and snow fence barriers will be

considered to go from the ground to the height as constructed.

I would do as skydiver said and just say walls are as constructed. I'll bet every shooter will ask anyway. Does that mean I can shoot over or under the walls?cheers.gif

Try this: Engage targets as they become available from within the fault lines. The space at the bottom of the Left Wall is a port.

For visual clarity, you could emphasize the port by painting a brightly colored edge around it.

The rest of the stage is covered by 2.2.3.3

Stage Procedure: Engage targets with sufficient rounds to score. You may shoot under, over or around walls on this stage.

K.I.S.S.

Don't need: From within the fault lines or upon start signal. You can't start early or you go home, you can shoot outside the fault lines, but it costs 2 A's point value per shot, so you'll never catch up that way.

Now IF you have some Monkey Motions such as carrying a bunny or dumping the money bag in a barrel, that needs to be here. If you have to do something to activate a target, that needs to be here.

If a target is activated by a shot, you should note it here.

Too often the WSB includes WAY TOO much info. Sometimes it can be to the detriment of the shooters and the stage. As an example, putting in a line that encourages the shooters to do well, such as after "Engage targets with sufficient rounds to score." you add "Shoot Fast A's" and a shooter shoots a B's C's or D's does he get a procedural for failing to follow the WSB?

In the olden tymes we used to have scenario based stages. Then you would get a story to go along with the stage, You are sitting in your lawn chair by the river when 16 river ghouls attack, you grab your trusty shootin iron from your fishing tackle box and defend the village. Or some other such. It was fun, but we've left that behind for the most part. Often the story was pretty good for a low budget B movie.

Now we tend to do our best to keep it simple and non confrontational. No stories of mayhem, just Scoring is Comstock, there are 12 Metric targets and 6 steel plates, worth 150 points. etc.

Don't need: ...upon start signal. You can't start early or you go home....

Huh? Are you suggesting that would be a DQ? Better read:

8.3.4.1 In the event that a competitor begins his attempt at the course of fire prematurely (“false start” prior to the issuance of the start signal) the Range Officer will, as soon as possible, stop and restart the competitor once the course of fire has been restored.

No, there is a difference I believe between a premature start and just taking off on your own! However since the active portion of the COF begins by default with the buzzer, I see no need to include upon start signal in the WSB. You can't start before that, not and either as you pointed out having to do a reshoot or if you just take off on your own, a short day at the match.

No, there is a difference I believe between a premature start and just taking off on your own! However since the active portion of the COF begins by default with the buzzer, I see no need to include upon start signal in the WSB. You can't start before that, not and either as you pointed out having to do a reshoot or if you just take off on your own, a short day at the match.

You started throwing "short day" around. Anytime after "Make Ready" that option probably goes away for a false start.....

Prior to make ready -- well, the shooter could take off, but since they'd need to load their gun, I'd think they'd get stopped a lot sooner....