Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is my POI so far off with slugs?

Jetracer013

I recently bought a new shotgun and my slugs shoot way high and left. I shoot sporting clays with it and I can break 24 out of 25 but, when I shoot slugs, they land a foot high and half of that to the left @ 50yds. How can slugs be so far off and bird shot is ok?

I've tried a few types of slugs both full power and managed recoil and they all land in the same area. I was trying to not use any choke besides IC because of recommendations from other shooters. Is that just nonsense?

I really want to know if this is just a fact of life or something that should be fixed my the manufacturer? The gun is only a month old.

when I shoot slugs, they land a foot high and half of that to the left @ 50yds. How can slugs be so far off and bird shot is ok?

50 yds is much farther than the average birdshot shot. I would bet the birdshot pattern is going to be centered relatively close to the same as your slugs. You just don't notice with a wide pattern up closer. At 75 yards you probably will find it comes down a bit closer to poa. What are you using for sights and how was the shotgun fit, or is it just "out of the box". If it came with stock shims, you can fine tune the fit and possibly get the poi and poa closer to your liking.

I've tried a few types of slugs both full power and managed recoil and they all land in the same area. I was trying to not use any choke besides IC because of recommendations from other shooters. Is that just nonsense?

I really want to know if this is just a fact of life or something that should be fixed my the manufacturer? The gun is only a month old.

Call the manufacturer and ask them about it. It woudl be best to have them replace it with a new one.

If it is shooting that far off it can be bent but the bend may be noticable. I have a 24" barrel on an M1 that shot about 18" low and 8" left at 100 yards. I had it bent so POA = POI. It now has a very noticable dip in the vent rib mid way dopwn the barrel. It doesn't effect me because I know its there but I don't think I could ever sell the barrel to someone else with out a big disclaimer.

I took the gun out yesterday to get data on it and left the LM choke in it and, WOW what a difference! It was only 3" high at 50 (average) and 4.5" low at 100yds. I didn't expect the choke to have that much effect on slugs. Thanks for the tip!