Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 MGM Ironman

So we have dates for the 2012 MGM Ironman. We are going to run two matches again this year, but I think we are going to change the format a little bit. The match dates are June 3-5 and June 7-9 at the Parma Rod and Gun Club in Parma, ID. We'll be doing two and a half days of shooting again. So here is what the new plan is. We are going to run a Pro/Am format. We'll be doing the Am match on the 3-5 and the Pro match on the 7-9. We'll run all five divisions in both matches. Limited, heavy optics, Open, Trooper, and Scoped Tac. Only the people shooting the Pro match will be eligable for the 3 Gun Nation Shoot offs. I'm going to try and get up to 140 shooters in both matches....and keep the round count above 850. We'll see how that goes!! :blink:

The prize table for the Am match will be random draw. The Pro match will be order of finish.

I don't know if I'm going to allow people to shoot both matches this year or not. IF I do, it will be if the Am match doesn't completely fill and I'll probably leave it open for at least two weeks before I let anyone else in. I can tell you from experience, shooting them both isn't an advantage. I shot the limited match (the first one I shot) WAAAYYYY better than I did the ST match.

Let me know if you have questions.

Adios,

TG

Edited by tgibson

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the stages going to be the same for both; will results be able to be compared between the two?

I'd personally prefer to do the Pro match, but I sent the info out to the guys I carpool up there with to reach a group consensus.

There will be some slight modifications between the matches I'm sure, but for the most part, they will be pretty much the same.

Adios,

TG

so if we were to participate in the 3Gun Nation series then we would only shoot the pro match?

when are the apps going out?

will you try to do pre-sign ups online again this year? (knowing the fun we all had last year.)

sorry for all of the endless questions . . . but if I didn't ask them some one else would.

and don't say that the sign ups are next Friday at noon. you know the cell & wifi isn't to good in the vegas desert

so if we were to participate in the 3Gun Nation series then we would only shoot the pro match?

when are the apps going out?

will you try to do pre-sign ups online again this year? (knowing the fun we all had last year.)

sorry for all of the endless questions . . . but if I didn't ask them some one else would.

and don't say that the sign ups are next Friday at noon. you know the cell & wifi isn't to good in the vegas desert

Q1...Yes.

Q2...Yes. I think we got it all squared away. Should be good to go. We'll probably do them around the first of February. As we get a little closer, I'll send out e mails and post on here.

Adios,

TG

I'm curious with trooper being split between pro and Amateur, Do you believe there will be enough people that will sign up for the pro version of it?

There will be at least 3 of us from AZ coming to do Trooper in the pro division match. Its been as popular or more popular than open the past several years.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I'm curious with trooper being split between pro and Amateur, Do you believe there will be enough people that will sign up for the pro version of it?

There will be at least 3 of us from AZ coming to do Trooper in the pro division match. Its been as popular or more popular than open the past several years.

But wouldn't you agree the reason for that is because that trooper appeals more the Amateur shooter who has a bunch of "toys" and gives them a bit of a justification to using them at a match?

I can think of 5 who will be shooting trooper, not including Russell and his band of miscreants. I imagine that the Pro match will have more trooper shooters than the Am. I think that the true spirit of trooper would be best served by having the troopers pay a double entry fee and shoot both matches. We could call the division "Super Trooper". Now is when we derail the thread with movie quotes, "Littering......Littering.....And smoking the refer."

But wouldn't you agree the reason for that is because that trooper appeals more the Amateur shooter who has a bunch of "toys" and gives them a bit of a justification to using them at a match?

There's also been a distinct increase in upper tier shooters participating in it since 3 Gun Nation shoot offs started happening.

I think how many other novices/gear addicts participate in either match will ultimately be based on which dates are more convenient for them as individuals to attend.

It seems that your use of the word "Amateur" was meant to carry some sort of negative connotation. Was that your intent?

I had just assumed that the Pro match would be the most appropriate for me to enter, but now I am rethinking that. Should the Pro match be reserved for sponsored or professional shooters only? What criteria will be used to decide who qualifies for the pro match?

My take is pros will enter the pro match to win prizes based on their performance. I don't think anyone will need to decide who is professional enough to enter it.

Novices will enter the amateur match because they want to shoot for fun and maybe win some cool stuff by raffle. This is a good way to encourage new shooters to participate.

Some people may choose one match over another based on when is better to take time off work or carpool with friends.

A top 10% shooter probably won't want to enter the amateur match because there's not as certain of a pay off for participating.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

It seems that your use of the word "Amateur" was meant to carry some sort of negative connotation. Was that your intent?

I had just assumed that the Pro match would be the most appropriate for me to enter, but now I am rethinking that. Should the Pro match be reserved for sponsored or professional shooters only? What criteria will be used to decide who qualifies for the pro match?

No not at all, I had a blast shooting it last year(.. despite my poor performance), my only concern is if theres gonna be enough participation for it to stay on the "pro" side of the house as its the only time line I'll be able to make it.