Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annoying shooters

thebigdogg316

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing I have seen to shut up a loud mouth is to consistantly beat them. You can start jacking with them, if you wish at that point but only if you are good at turning your focus on and off.

If they know you get flustered, your only choice is to resquad.

• 1 month later...

I try to take these people as opportunities to practice attentional focus and mental control.

It seems like my mind is always trying to work on the shiny, noisy things that are going on in the environment rather than the Zen state I'm working to achieve while shooting. In other words, if that "guy" that makes everyone nuts wasn't there, something, or someone else would enter my thoughts in his place.

So, I try to be grateful for the opportunity to focus in the face of strong distraction. I try to see it as an opportunity for growth and practice of the mental disciplines I came to the range to work on in the first place.

Some of those ass hats have really helped me improve! Some have brought me close to giving up on the sport.

It's one thing for buddies to pick at each other on the range, however I would have a major issue with some talking crap at a shooting match. I am pretty sure most of the people I shoot with would also not tolerate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a talker, and I know everyone else has their own comfort level for banter at the range. I know some shooters should be left alone before they're even on deck, and others seem to thrive on interaction up to Make Ready. Everyone has their own boundaries.

As a talker, I appreciate when someone is direct and clear about their need for a boundary. If I'm bothering a shooter, and they come up to me and ask me to leave them out of the banter or to hush up earlier before their turn, I APPRECIATE that. Otherwise, how would I know?

So in the case of this annoying guy at your range, does he KNOW where your boundary is?

• 3 weeks later...

IDPA club match I was the shooter, had a "knucklehead" just continuously running his mouth, smack talk, etc, beyond good natured fun. By the time we got to the 2nd stage the SO turned around and told him to STFU, he continued. The SO turned back around and told him he wasn't kidding and a DQ for unsportsman like conduct would be the next course of action. That solved it for the day, I refuse to squad with him at any match I'd leave the match if the only squad available contained this individual.

Talk to your match staff, this should not be tolerated.

This talk to the RO and MD

• 4 weeks later...

I have two guys like that at my club, they know everything about everything and talk non stop. Most of the guys who know him just move to a different squad. I am stuck as I RO so I get him. I wish I could move to another squad. Non of the RO's want him and our associate MD loves to dump him on be the last min. I have talked to him nise, angry, and have mentioned DQ. He did not hear me he was telling me the rules. Guess I need a football. This one is just to big for Softball. :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a technique...wait til he gets to shooting his stage and because he talks more than he shoots, you'll probably have a good 50+ second window of opportunity. You approach his range bag/water bottle, and moving your hands only, quickly draw that bottle of x lax from your back pocket. Take the top off the water bottle and do what you must. Voila! Problem solved.

:devil::ph34r:

I'm just kidding of course, and you probably should just talk to the RO or squad on a different bunch. Loudmouths are annoying, and the best way to deal with them is to be better than they are or, failing that, leave them alone.

Edited by 45dotACP

I think you should just wait until he is loading his magazines, and talk to him with intense focus. I mean really look at him. All of him. Maybe even give him a back handed compliment like, "Hey man, have you lost a lot of weight? "Cause you used to look ALOT BIGGER!" "I mean really! You look a lot lighter! What are you half way to your goal yet? Must be a lot of work! Well keep it up whatever your doing, it must be working!" And keep it up! Get one of your buds in on it. Ask him, "Hey Al! What do you think, has this guy lost some serious girth or what?" Then go with a different thing the next stage, and the next. Have fun with it.

THIS!!! Talk his fuc*ing ear off right through his turn to shoot... Make a list of questions to ask him. When HE get throughly pissed... since he seems to be competitive... explain to him that he sounds like that every week...

Put the shoe on his foot. Only way they learn.

JeffWard

Edited by JeffWard

• 5 months later...

I'm a talker, and I know everyone else has their own comfort level for banter at the range. ...I appreciate when someone is direct and clear about their need for a boundary...I APPRECIATE that. Otherwise, how would I know?

So in the case of this annoying guy at your range, does he KNOW where your boundary is?

BOUNDARIES:

I think gacattack "the talker" brought up a good point. He appreciates it when someone tells him to stop talking in a direct and clear manner. That means respectfully and without malice.

Boundaries like this should to be communicated especially if someone is crossing them. I'm socially inept even among my engineer colleagues, so I have to look up stuff about these kinds of things.

Communicate your need to concentrate like, "Can't talk, I'm on deck and I need to get my mojo on" will most often do the trick. This is because you have asked them to help fulfill your need to concentrate.

Here's some others that come to mind:

"I need to concentrate on loading the right number of rounds in my mag".

"I need to pay attention to this next shooter to see how they approach the stage".

"Pasters!"

I think pasting takes up most of the time matches.

Pushing back with these people that cross your boundaries by insulting them will only reinforce your distraction and agitation. It will also make you feel like a jerk, which you will be regardless if they deserved the insult.

It's not easy. Everyone has their kryptonite. I try to focus on expressing MY NEED which felt a little selfish at first but was almost always well received. However, expressing MY NEED for gun stuff to my wife is a different story.

If you feel they're out to get you have someone else to intervene. Your perspective is skewed and it will not end well. You may actually be the person that needs the intervention.

I think we've all been both the agitated and agitator.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

• 4 months later...

I just want to apologize. I didn't realize that my big mouth was bothering anyone. I'll try to keep it down at the next match.

At least you don't go interrupting other squads about being a inch away from the X.
That's true. Our whole squad is generally pretty loud and boisterous. I think that's why we all squad together. I don't think we ever had anyone on our squad who would talk to the shooter in the box though and intentionally try to distract him. That's rude. I do like the smack talk between me and Daniel. It actually helps me concentrate.