Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Larue or JP?

HRider

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could put that SJC comp on a JP rifle!

Why can't you? I have one on mine and know 5-6 other guys at our local club that do too.

+1 What Jesse said.

Craig

Edited by spd522

Why can't you? I have one on mine and know 5-6 other guys at our local club that do too.

He meant when he looked into ordering a rifle from JP they would not install the SJC comp for him. I think the comp was a very big part of why my rifle shot flatter. Eric Lund did a great job designing that comp.

Pat

He meant when he looked into ordering a rifle from JP they would not install the SJC comp for him. I think the comp was a very big part of why my rifle shot flatter. Eric Lund did a great job designing that comp.

Pat

yup thats what i meant, But im interested on how you installed your comp i started another thread so we don't high jack this one

Pat

yup thats what i meant, But im interested on how you installed your comp i started another thread so we don't high jack this one

Its fairly easy just put the rifle in a vice with padding or the correct inserts for an AR15 upper and take wrench and remove the old comp (lefty loosey) and install the new one (righty tighty) use a crush washer and time it how you want it. I just want it standard ports up not off to the left or right.

Pat

Its fairly easy just put the rifle in a vice with padding or the correct inserts for an AR15 upper and take wrench and remove the old comp (lefty loosey) and install the new one (righty tighty) use a crush washer and time it how you want it. I just want it standard ports up not off to the left or right.

A Barrel vice is the only way to go or else you risk causing permanent damage to the upper. The Uppers were never built to handle that kind of torqe and can split.

Pat

A Barrel vice is the only way to go or else you risk causing permanent damage to the upper. The Uppers were never built to handle that kind of torqe and can split.

Damn I have put well over 20 different muzzle brakes on different guns and never needed a barrel vice. There is not that much torqe put on it, at least in my experience.

Pat

I also shot Pats rifle and his buddies JP that day. Pats rifle shot flatter and had less recoil. His buddies rifle was making an awful springy sound though.

IN JP's defense the rifle you shot probably weighed a considerable bit more: larger wall thickness of the milled receivers, Magpul PRS stock, and the (IMO) overly heavy Larue barrel diameter. all this extra, compared to what i'm guessing the JP rifle weighs, free weight adds up to damping perceived felt recoil. I'm willing to bet the JP rifle transitioned faster and stopped easier on longer range targets.

Pat

Damn I have put well over 20 different muzzle brakes on different guns and never needed a barrel vice. There is not that much torqe put on it, at least in my experience.

Pat

I have done hundreds and never had an issue. I saw a thread where a bunch of people had split uppers from over torqing the barrel so I decided to always barrel vice.

I just hate seeing people break the upper or worse the barrel extension.

I also shot Pats rifle and his buddies JP that day. Pats rifle shot flatter and had less recoil. His buddies rifle was making an awful springy sound though.

IN JP's defense the rifle you shot probably weighed a considerable bit more: larger wall thickness of the milled receivers, Magpul PRS stock, and the (IMO) overly heavy Larue barrel diameter. all this extra, compared to what i'm guessing the JP rifle weighs, free weight adds up to damping perceived felt recoil. I'm willing to bet the JP rifle transitioned faster and stopped easier on longer range targets.

Nope you got confused on which gun he shot. I don't use my Larue for three gun. He shot my Noveske not the Larue. My Noveske's weight is very close to the JP. I would have to put them on a scale to know for sure. But holding them you could barely tell a difference.

ThreegunRogueHunter.jpg

He shot it sans bi pod. The Noveske has stanard forged upper and lower not billet like the Larue. Its a Vltor Emod Stock not the PRS and the Barrel is 38 ounces on my Noveske vs 35 on the JP.

Although there was a shooter there using a 16 inch Stealth with a 2.5-10 Nightforce that gave me a run for my money. I only beat him by 4 seconds on the whole match.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a JP15 buy a cheap forged upper/lower and put JP barrel, Trigger, etc on it. It will save u about $400-500.

Another good option is the new Stag Arms Model 3G. It is the most bang for your buck in an off the shelf 3 gun rifle.

I REALLLY want to get my hands on one of those stag units. I am a huge fan of their products and have gone to using their receivers and BCG's on all builds I do. I ma just itching for them to start selling the 3g barrel on it's own. :)

Jesse wouldn't mind if you put your hands on his Stag unit.

Hurley, come get this CTR in my safe and put that new scope of yours on it and play with it. This JP makes me smile, ever time I handle it. It is the finest rifle, that I have ever pulled the trigger on. Even though, I don't pull them very well :lol:

Got my buddies' CTR02 yesterday, brought it home and mounted my scope on it. It is an 18" rifle, I don't know what contour barrel though. WOW, this thing feels good. It weighs 6lb 8oz w/o optic and 7lb 14oz with optic. That's 2 pounds less than my HM rifle. I can't wait to shoot it with the optic (we shot it on a close target with no sights, it is very soft and flat).

The only problem that I see with having a setup like this is people are going to expect you to be able to DRIVE it when you show up somewhere :roflol:

Hurley

If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a JP15 buy a cheap forged upper/lower and put JP barrel, Trigger, etc on it. It will save u about $400-500.

Another good option is the new Stag Arms Model 3G. It is the most bang for your buck in an off the shelf 3 gun rifle.

I REALLLY want to get my hands on one of those stag units. I am a huge fan of their products and have gone to using their receivers and BCG's on all builds I do. I ma just itching for them to start selling the 3g barrel on it's own. :)

Jesse wouldn't mind if you put your hands on his Stag unit.

HA! :roflol:

I'm going to guess and say that your buddie's CTR02 has the 18" lightweight contour barrel.

Mick

Hurley, come get this CTR in my safe and put that new scope of yours on it and play with it. This JP makes me smile, ever time I handle it. It is the finest rifle, that I have ever pulled the trigger on. Even though, I don't pull them very well :lol:

Got my buddies' CTR02 yesterday, brought it home and mounted my scope on it. It is an 18" rifle, I don't know what contour barrel though. WOW, this thing feels good. It weighs 6lb 8oz w/o optic and 7lb 14oz with optic. That's 2 pounds less than my HM rifle. I can't wait to shoot it with the optic (we shot it on a close target with no sights, it is very soft and flat).

The only problem that I see with having a setup like this is people are going to expect you to be able to DRIVE it when you show up somewhere :roflol:

Hurley

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen Noveske support 3-gun. I have never seen any of their products on a prize table, I have never seen them sponsor a stage etc. They do have a shooting team, but that isn't supporting the sport. They make great stuff, but that also doesn't support the sport. KurtM

Now Kurt I think your a great shooter, great guy and provide a lot of help to people online, but I think your wrong on the statement above.

I would have surely thought you'd have remembered each sponsor who donated something to a match you and Trapr put on back in the Spring of THIS year?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114641&st=150

Post No. 168, might want to go back and check that thread

or the sponsor page from the match you guys put on in OKC...

http://www.highplainsshootingchallenge.com/?page_id=23

While it has the NST logo, the fact is Noveske sent product to your match this year. So you really have not SEEN anything this year? Alright if you say so.

While not owned by Freedom Group or some other large conglomerate with advertising dollars in the hundreds of thousands, Noveske Rifleworks LLC is a small shop run in a family manner with people who are family to me. They do what they can to support 3 gun and action rifle matches all over the USA and overseas where our troops are stationed. That is a fact.

I won't make any apologies for Noveske not being able to support the sport to a level like other companies named in this thread, I would THINK we would all be happy they are doing what they can, by donating what they can when they can to every match they can. But reading some of the posts in this thread makes me really wonder who actually takes notice of who sponsors what and where.

So to see people say they don't support the sport in such a blanketed statement as the one quoted above, especially when they donated to your own match, is a bit difficult to comprehend.

I'm sure Travis Gibson, Denise Johnson or Dean DeTurk can attest to their supporting some 3 gun this year too since Noveske sponsored the MGM IRONMAN, the RM3G and the 3 man 3 gun championships.

Rob and I shoot alot of matches too. Just saying. :D

Edited by cold

I have never seen Noveske support 3-gun. I have never seen any of their products on a prize table, I have never seen them sponsor a stage etc. They do have a shooting team, but that isn't supporting the sport. They make great stuff, but that also doesn't support the sport. KurtM

Now Kurt I think your a great shooter, great guy and provide a lot of help to people online, but I think your wrong on the statement above.

I would have surely thought you'd have remembered each sponsor who donated something to a match you and Trapr put on back in the Spring of THIS year?

While it has the NST logo, the fact is Noveske sent product to your match this year. So you really have not SEEN anything this year? Alright if you say so.

While not owned by Freedom Group or some other large conglomerate with advertising dollars in the hundreds of thousands, Noveske Rifleworks LLC is a small shop run in a family manner with people who are family to me. They do what they can to support 3 gun and action rifle matches all over the USA and overseas where our troops are stationed. That is a fact.

I won't make any apologies for Noveske not being able to support the sport to a level like other companies named in this thread, I would THINK we would all be happy they are doing what they can, by donating what they can when they can to every match they can. But reading some of the posts in this thread makes me really wonder who actually takes notice of who sponsors what and where.

So to see people say they don't support the sport in such a blanketed statement as the one quoted above, especially when they donated to your own match, is a bit difficult to comprehend.

I'm sure Travis Gibson, Denise Johnson or Dean DeTurk can attest to their supporting some 3 gun this year too since Noveske sponsored the MGM IRONMAN, the RM3G and the 3 man 3 gun championships.

What you said is 100% true on every level. I get tired of everyone speaking about how the big dogs of the shooting sports gives more than the little shops. Truth is when the small shops give to the sport it is giving more than the big guys with money to spare on such things. The Gibson Family which you mentioned also runs things great for a family business.

• 2 weeks later...

My next build is going to be a DPMS/JP hybrid....Gonna prob catch flak for this but I am a little OCD. I'm alright with a hybrid AR as most stock ARs are hybrid anyway. But, when my OCD kicks in, I don't want more than two or three different manufacturers components. After doing alot of research (and I mean alot), I've kinda got everything in my head that I want in and on the gun. There are what I consider critical components such as the barrel, trigger, bolt and carrier, buffer and spring, and gas system. All of these components will be JP. Still on the fence about using the adjustable JP gas system or a standard rifle length DPMS gas system. OCD again, adjustable means I will always be messing with it...lol... also haven't completely decided between low mass or full mass bolt carrier. The barrel will be 20". I know 18 is more popular now, but I like the longer sight radius. Now for the not as critical components. The upper and lower receivers will be DPMS (can't really see paying the difference for the JP receivers). It will have a DPMS vented free float tube (again can't see triple the price for the JP/VTAC tube). All the small parts will be DPMS including the the removeable BUIS. And of course the ACE skeletonized buttstock and Hogue grip. Almost forgot Miculek steel charging handle and compensator from DPMS. With the best prices I can find on all the components, I can build this setup for around 1500 give or take 150 depending on how I go with the gas system. Opinions please and good shooting.

Oh, for those wondering about my avatar, I am am a S&W guy and do currently shoot a M&P 15. Thought about adding all my wants to this rifle. But, OCD again can't stand spare parts just laying around. More cost effective to just build a new rifle....:)

Edited by RED357

You can acutally add the last couple matches I ran to that list as well. I know they've sponsored at least a couple Area 1 Pistol matches as well as the 2008 Area 1 MG match. They aren't sending out complete rifles or anything but they did send out a good chunk of shirts, hats and a handful of KX3 flash hiders. I've got one on my 7.5 M16.

• 2 weeks later...

Hurley

I drank the koolaid and bought a JP. It is an 18" light contour CTR02 with the long handguard. It is nice, but doesn't feel as good as the older CTR02 that belongs to JohnMc. My rifle is 1Pound heavier than his :( . The extra weight seems to come from a stack up of minor differences. The upper receiver has lightening cuts and holes on the older rifle, the barrel nut is smaller and drilled, the handguard is slotted top and bottom and thinner etc. The new rifle shoots good though. Thanks for all of the replies, Hurley

I would never buy anything from Mark Larue, so the decision would be easy for me.

Why not? I don't know him, but he sure donates a lot to the sport, and he makes good gear. At the pro-am he sat down at the table with us and had a good conversation, he was down to earth, it was a little while before we even knew who he was. The free brisket we were eating was most excellent as well.

I don't think you want to open up that can of worms. It has been made clear that people can not speak their mind when it comes to this topic. So the best way to say it is that people who actually follow things will never spend money with him or his company. It is probably best to leave it at that.

Funny how that works. Reminds me of how some things get done in this country, we all look at who gives the money and don't care how big of an ass they may be.

It is funny isn't it, how when some people get called out on their completely inappropriate emails will continue to excuse their poor behavior all the while repetitively badmouthing a vendor.

It reminds me of how things get done in this country, like the time Mark Larue received a call and rush shipped an Army unit a full set of mounts, rails, and gear for their rifles while they were in country. Even though the unit had set up payment the box on the invoice where the cost should have been simply said "go kill bad guys".......ya, that guy is an ass, I'll never buy anything from him. :rolleyes:

That's an awesome story :cheers: I can also tell you that he has been extremely helpful in outfitting the entire Texas Ranger Division with .308 PredatAR rifles, complete with Aimpoint Micros and Surefire suppressors.....

• 4 weeks later...

wow that red Warren scope mount looks great on that gun with the red thermal disapator! I am going for a red black theme on all my 3 gun guns so I have to get me one of those!

P.S. I shoot a JP ctr-02 18" with the extra long hand guard and red thermal dispator.

Edited by Bluetip84