Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision 147gr Flat Point and N320

hankfan79

Fellow shooters,

I just recently purchased a order of 147gr Flat Points from Precision Bullets (Molys). I have loaded Montana Gold (124gr) for awhile and was curious of your load data. I am mainly concerned with OAL. I have normally used JHP's and I am curious if the FLAT POINT bullet is going to make a change. I am looking for a good load for IDPA that makes a little over 125,000 Power Factor in a Glock 34.

Powder N320

Federal Primers

Precision 147gr FP

OAL =???

What is your OAL with N320 and 147 FP? Powder charge?

Edited by hankfan79

Are those flat points? Have you ever noticed your bullets touching the rifling of the barrel.

Yes, both are flat points. No problems with touching the rifling in the M&P.

Hmmm I had to go under 1.11 to clear the rifling in my old Pro.

Hank, I too went from MG 124's to Precision moly 147's for a very short run. That shoulder sticks way out there brother. I suggest you make a dummy and try the barrel drop drill.

Hello: I use the Precision Moly 147 grain in my Glock 34. I use Tite Group powder which is close to N320 it seems. I use 3.1 grains TG, Winchester or Federal primers and a OAL of 1.140". It feeds fine and does not catch in the mag. The 1.140" OAL length will not work in a CZ Shadow or a Springfield XD without throating the barrel some. Thanks, Eric

Are those flat points? Have you ever noticed your bullets touching the rifling of the barrel.

Yes, both are flat points. No problems with touching the rifling in the M&P.

Hmmm I had to go under 1.11 to clear the rifling in my old Pro.

Hank, I too went from MG 124's to Precision moly 147's for a very short run. That shoulder sticks way out there brother. I suggest you make a dummy and try the barrel drop drill.

You load N320? What ya "cooking" with?

• 4 weeks later...

i have used prec moly 147 in my g34 for 2 years now. my load is vv320-3.2/1.135, pf is prob around 133ish so just back it off a little if you want a lower pf. my chrono results are a little poor. apparently i need a tougher chrono. 1.135-1.140 is as long as i would go for the glock mag. col can vary during loading and you dont want one to stick during a match.

hope this helps,

G

The longest length that will fit your barrel MINUS .005". Seat a bullet too long, crimp it, drop it in your barrel, Keep shortening it till it drops in and goes THUNK and turns nicely with no drag. Subtract about .005" from this point. That is your safe, longest OAL.