Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triple B's Triple Nickle

bbbean

With all the talk about the Triple Nickle, I thought I'd set up a close approximation for our next match and see how a bunch of B/C/D class shooters stack up next to the Triple Nickle coin holders. Here it is as a USPSA speed shoot. Procedure, etc in the PDF.

FWIW, I couldn't find the exact dimensions of the official target, so I've approximated it with hard cover. If someone has the exact dimensions, I'll adjust my targets accordingly. I also couldn't find an official note on starting position, so I specified hands relaxed at sides. Given that this is a USPSA stage, cover garments are not required.

post-14972-0-99471100-1318185450_thumb.j

Triple B\'s Triple Nickel.pdf

With all the talk about the Triple Nickle, I thought I'd set up a close approximation for our next match and see how a bunch of B/C/D class shooters stack up next to the Triple Nickle coin holders. Here it is as a USPSA speed shoot. Procedure, etc in the PDF.

FWIW, I couldn't find the exact dimensions of the official target, so I've approximated it with hard cover. If someone has the exact dimensions, I'll adjust my targets accordingly. I also couldn't find an official note on starting position, so I specified hands relaxed at sides. Given that this is a USPSA stage, cover garments are not required.

A possible suggestion on the stage procedure that might lead to less confusion/arbitration...

Engage T1-T5 from within the fault lines. After the first shot fired, but before the last shot fired, perform a mandatory reload. Failure to perform the reload will result in a procedural per shot fired.

1) Trying to determine engagement of particular targets and what order the shooter used for their run leaves too much wiggle room in the procedure. If you tie the procedure/reload to shots fired, it makes the RO's job much simpler.

2) Without the procedural being that harsh it would be simple to game this and take the procedural for the far faster time.

3) I would look hard at making this a Virginia count stage as well considering the RO's need to round count.

A possible suggestion on the stage procedure that might lead to less confusion/arbitration...

Engage T1-T5 from within the fault lines. After the first shot fired, but before the last shot fired, perform a mandatory reload. Failure to perform the reload will result in a procedural per shot fired.

1) Trying to determine engagement of particular targets and what order the shooter used for their run leaves too much wiggle room in the procedure. If you tie the procedure/reload to shots fired, it makes the RO's job much simpler.

2) Without the procedural being that harsh it would be simple to game this and take the procedural for the far faster time.

3) I would look hard at making this a Virginia count stage as well considering the RO's need to round count.

Good suggestion on changing target count to shot count. I've changed the procedure to:"Engage T1 through T5 with two rounds each.Perform a mandatory reload after the first shot, but before taking the finalshot. "

I think you're correct on procedurals as well. a 90 pt procedural would seem to nullify the 1-2 seconds someone might gain...

BB

Edited by bbbean

I think the Q target is bigger than a full USPSA target

If you have access to one, I'd love the actual dimensions. I can't seem to find them.

They are at work I'll get them tomorrow.

Thanks. I'm not running the stage til Saturday, so there's plenty of time.

Good suggestion on changing target count to shot count. I've changed the procedure to:"Engage T1 through T5 with two rounds each.Perform a mandatory reload after the first shot, but before taking the finalshot. "

"Before the last shot fired" is always preferred to "before taking the last shot". How exactly in the rule book does one take a last shot? What does it mean to "take" a shot? Just a suggestion from a DRL.

Post #60 in this thread is very interesting:

http://www.brianenos...ic=134810&st=50

Some actual QIT dimensions would be great.

That's the post I saw that lead me to change the hard cover. The D zone doesn't match exactly, but it's close enough that anyone who runs my stage in under 5 secs should be able to run the actual stage in a similar time, especially at 5 yards. Using the D zone lines also makes it easier to replicate if someone doesn't have the exact dimensions of the QIT.

FWIW, I opted to leave out the cover garment for a couple of reasons, but primarily because we have a lot of beginning and lower classed shooters at our club, and I didn't want to introduce an extra opportunity for fumbled draws or dropped guns.

BB