Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf Slugs

EricW

Aren't these the German made slugs? Everyone knows that other Wolf ammo is made in Russia but the Wolf marketed slugs were made in Germany, correct? Wait- found the box: it reads "Made in Germany". Looks like they were made there - even has the German flag! Here is the hype on the box:

"Power rifled slug; 2 3/4 (actually 2.355" OAL) 1 Oz. 100% performance guarantee"

The back reads: "High velocity rifled slug based on legendary German design delivers maximum knockdown energy and supreme accuracy. Satisfaction guaranteed (blah blah)"

Clear case, rolled crimp & traditional lead slug with maker's mark "SK" on nose (who is SK??) - ah - now I get it: headstamp reads: SCHONEBECK

Looks like Wolf Slugs = GERMAN SCHONEBECK SLUGS. No I have not tried these yet though I bought them a few weeks back at the show. The 3 gun match is next month, not May. Regards, C.

Eric, you can load slugs for much cheaper than that. They are especially cheap when you cast you own and the lead is free. :D

I have reduced recoil loads for all 3 weights of slugs I make. I have a real nice 7/8th oz. slug load that shoots like a lite target load. Shoots great and is extremely fast for shooting doubles.

Then there are my home made reduced recoil 00 buck loads, but that's another story.

Neal in AZ

The Wolf slugs were really cheap so I bought about 20 boxes. I like them for practice but out of my 1100 they just don't hit where I want them. Other guys who have tried them seem pretty happy though. YMMV.

-ld

Shonenbeck!!! These are German slugs, and fall right betwen Low recoil and Full on slugs! I used them to win 3 slug only stages at the European Shotgun Championships. I like these slugs for almost anything, and they are really great priced in the U.S. The only slug I like more is the BreneKe low recoil slug, that used to be available through Sportsman Warehouse.

That factory has not been known for quality. They make cheap stuff and if it works for you use it. Wolf buckshot is also made by them and it is the worst buckshot I have ever used.

Other cheap slug that falls between low recoil and regular is Sellier & Bellot Special. They also sell less than $2/box and many people have had good results with them. http://www.natchezss.com has those slugs on sale now. In my experience these are better than Wolf/Shoenebeck.

PJ

Other cheap slug that falls between low recoil and regular is Sellier & Bellot Special. They also sell less than $2/box and many people have had good results with them. http://www.natchezss.com has those slugs on sale now. In my experience these are better than Wolf/Shoenebeck.

PJ

I don't know if they have changed it, but these slugs didn't fit in the Choate Shell Caddy, just a tad too long. I liked them, but not enough to ignore the fact that they don't fit in my caddies. On the other hand, Wolf slugs worked great in my Benelli 18.5" barrel, however, they do "key holing" at 50 yds out in my new 21" barrel, same choke. May be the extra velocity created by a longer barrel has something to do with it. I haven't tried any other choke tubes yet. Kurt, any ideas???

Jerry's Sport Center sells the Wolf 12 ga. 00 buck 5 for $1.15 if you order 50 boxes, and the 1 oz. rifled slugs 5 for $1.50 if you order 50 boxes.

Jerry's only sells to dealers. On what my buddy has ordered in for me the shipping never seemed out of line.

Pacman:

I have never had that problem with the Shonenbeck slugs. If they are keyholeing, how is the accuracy?? Maybe the attached wad is messing with it??? I shot a 3" group at 100yd with them, and saw no problem through a light modified tube. Who knows!! By the way I will be through town for a day or two. I am going to hook up with Jimmie to go out to the Nationals in June, See you then with some low recoil Breneke!! Be good!! KURTM