Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 in .40S&W, 180g. MG CMJ, Major PF

Col. Mortimer

I see most of you are using VV N320 for .40S&W Major. Checking my reloading books, the only one book has a N320 load for 180g. and it has a max load of 5.2g with an OAL of 1.125". I know most N320 users have a longer OAL but then you are off the map when it comes to the reloading books. Plus, this data is from the Sierra book. It seems more aggressive then the other books so their max load is a max load with no fooling around. I currently use WSF but it leaves too much soot around the muzzle. Is there a powder that is closer to N320 without pushing the envelope and cleaner than WSF?

If you're going to load long, it will reduce pressure. (assuming same powder charge)

Most .40 N320 loads fall somewhere between 4.6gr and 5.2gr with various bullets.

(my load with 180gr moly bullets is 4.9gr 1.180" =960fps)

Find the length you want, work your powder charge up from a low level until you achieve the correct velocity.

I'd hazard that that is one of the most popular loads in .40 if not THE most popular. I've personally shot nearing 75k rounds of it. I'd bet on this forum alone we could count for MILLIONS of safe 180gr MG/ N320 rounds.

Work up to major and watch for pressure signs.

What's the gun?

If you're going to load long, it will reduce pressure. (assuming same powder charge)

Most .40 N320 loads fall somewhere between 4.6gr and 5.2gr with various bullets.

Find the length you want, work your powder charge up from a low level until you achieve the correct velocity.

I agree and the data supports the assumption that longer OALs reduce pressure. However, no one has tested a 5.2g N320 load with a length of 1.180". Therefore, you are assuming your load is safe. One poster mentioned looking for pressure signs. However, most of what I have read would indicate that once you have pressure signs, you are past safe pressures. Aonther poster mentioned that N320 is the most popular powder for USPSA / IDPA / IPSC and he is probably right. But, I also read a post where the poster reported split cases, head separations and bits of brass in the breech area. My worry is the load is safe but we know there are variables such as bullet setback, tempature and variations throw weights that can make a load on the edge of safe become unsafe. As I said, I worry too much but I think when it comes to reloading, erring on the safe side is always the way to go. I may never become a GM but if I never have a KB, I will call that a personal win.

PS: My pistol is a Glock 24 with a KKM barrel.

Actually we have been testing it for years. Millions of rounds.

Meanwhile.... Vit themselves shows more than one n320 load that makes major in .40 at a factory length.

Yes and no. They show 165g FMJ and 180g LTC but not 180g FMJ. BTW, the max load for the LTC 180g. is 4.3g. So like I said, loading 180g. FMJ with N320, we are off the map.

Being fairly new to reloading, I don't feel I have the knowledge and experience to push N320 to Major PF or at least, I am not comfortable with it.

Actually we have been testing it for years. Millions of rounds.

Meanwhile.... Vit themselves shows more than one n320 load that makes major in .40 at a factory length.

Yes and no. They show 165g FMJ and 180g LTC but not 180g FMJ. BTW, the max load for the LTC 180g. is 4.3g. So like I said, loading 180g. FMJ with N320, we are off the map.

Being fairly new to reloading, I don't feel I have the knowledge and experience to push N320 to Major PF or at least, I am not comfortable with it.

Perhaps you should take a look at Production Division - everything's scored Minor and you can reload at a much lower pressure you'll be comfortable with.

ETA: For what it's worth, I've personally loaded / shot over 50K rounds of MG 180grs FMJ/CMJs over 4.8 to 4.9 grs of N320 with no problems (OAL is 1.195).

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I agree and the data supports the assumption that longer OALs reduce pressure. However, no one has tested a 5.2g N320 load with a length of 1.180". Therefore, you are assuming your load is safe. One poster mentioned looking for pressure signs. However, most of what I have read would indicate that once you have pressure signs, you are past safe pressures. Aonther poster mentioned that N320 is the most popular powder for USPSA / IDPA / IPSC and he is probably right. But, I also read a post where the poster reported split cases, head separations and bits of brass in the breech area. My worry is the load is safe but we know there are variables such as bullet setback, tempature and variations throw weights that can make a load on the edge of safe become unsafe. As I said, I worry too much but I think when it comes to reloading, erring on the safe side is always the way to go. I may never become a GM but if I never have a KB, I will call that a personal win.

PS: My pistol is a Glock 24 with a KKM barrel.

I commend your focus on safety.

Major power factor is only 165 (My load is 172) that is not a 'hot' load.

The G24 6" barrel will give even a bit more velocity so you might shave a .1gr or .2

Vit N320 burns fast, but cool, and it's clean.

The safe way to do this is find your optimum OAL. Then start low (4.5gr or so) and slowly work up to your desired velocity (should be 950-960fps). Watch for pressure signs.

Like Seth said, you wont get 1.180 in the Glock.

I would predict 1.135" w/ 4.8gr but thats just an educated guess.

Perhaps you should take a look at Production Division - everything's scored Minor and you can reload at a much lower pressure you'll be comfortable with.

The Glock 24 does not fit in The Box so Production Division is out. This is the reason for the Glock 35 and why the Glock 24 is not longer made.

Edited by Col. Mortimer

OH My God. Soot around the muzzle? Have you complained to the powder manufacturer? That is just NOT acceptable. That will get in inside of your holster all dirty.

Remember, loading manuals are nothing more that guidelines and show what their results were with their equipment and components.

There are two pressure signs to track: Does the recoil with the same weight bullet have a more severe recoil than factory ammo and does the case, about 1/4" above the extractor groove bulge more than factory ammo.

A clue to pressure is to keep your loads, using the same weight of bullet, to no more velocity than factory ammo.

All are indications. Short of putting a transducer on the barrel, you won't ever know what pressure your loads are really generating.

Reloaders have been working up loads for decades before the industry even began to publish manuals.

You can always NOT use the powder-of-the-day and use published loads that give you the PF you want. As soon as you enter the realm of heavy bullets/fast powders, you are leaving the manuals behind any way.

I compile all the data I can from various manuals, and all I have is one load: .40 S&W, 180gn FMJ, 3.6gn N320. When the powder manufacturer doesn't recommend it, maybe there is a reason?

I've been loading my first N320 loads using the Sierra data, so 4.5 grains with a 180 grain Berry's at 1.125 OAL. Very nice out of my M&P40L. No feeding issues at that OAL. Kicked it up very slightly to 4.7 grains to get the velocity I was looking for and I'm gonna stick with the 1.125 OAL for now.

Very pleased with the VV powder (first time using the brand of powder). It burns clean and meters very consistenly through my measure.

I compile all the data I can from various manuals, and all I have is one load: .40 S&W, 180gn FMJ, 3.6gn N320. When the powder manufacturer doesn't recommend it, maybe there is a reason?

Care to share what gun, oal, and chrono numbers. I can not get that load to function reliably in my G35. Im up to 4.1gr.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

I shoot 5.1 grains of n320 loaded to 1.145 out of my tanfoglio. Makes a consistent 168-172 pf, depending on chrono.

for steel, i knocked it down to 4.1 grains, what a joy.

This is all with 180 grain precision delta fmj

• 2 weeks later...

The Glock 24 does not fit in The Box so Production Division is out. This is the reason for the Glock 35 and why the Glock 24 is not longer made.

They still make them...just not a lot per year.

• 3 weeks later...

COL MORTIMER,

I have a G24 - 6" .40 S&W, tricked for limited, the pistol and the mags don't like loaded long ammo, chrono and be careful. Most Glocks don't like long AOL/COL.

1.180s will hang cross wise in the mags too. Per bullet shape.

SV, STI, Para High Cap shooters can load long in most cases and/or pistols.

Be SAFE,

Perry

Glock G-24 & G-17L are still in production, most are sold to Isreal and Europe. I own one of each. Used by SWATs and Special Forces.

Edited by perrysho