Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP Sight Replacement Question

Chuck D

I have a Glock that I want to use in SSP Division. I've read the rulebook but I want to be absolutely sure so forgive the question if it seems stupid.

Can I lo-mount a Bomar type sight (required milling of the slide to install the sight) and still be SSP legal ?

Thanks...

I agree with Ted.

Most aftermarket sights are installed using the existing dovetails or mounting locations. In which case it is JUST a sight change. If you machine the slide so that the sights will fit, you have done a lot more than just change a part that can be easily changed back.

SSP PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights may be changed to another conventional notch and

post type

You guys are reading stuff that is not there. There is nothing that says you cannot cut the appropriate dovetail for a diffent brand of sight. There is no requirement that the sights can be changed BACK to the original type.

But, considering that normally levelheaded posters have presented a restrictive position, best contact HQ and get the official policy before cutting metal.

Me?

If I were writing the rule, a change in sights would not be allowed at all for STOCK Service Pistol, but it is, so change them however you like as long as no apertures or lenses are involved.

Seems like a lot of work and expense given the multiplcity of front sight sight heights available out there to zero a Glock with fixed sights. I have been told, BTW, by numerous pistolsmiths that they really hate milling on Glock slides because the Tenifer finish just absolutely eats up cutting tools.

I'm not doing the work...and I have the money so...

Besides, I like adjustable sights and after 25 plus years of Bomar type sights on 1911/2011's, that's what I want.

I sent an e-mail to IDPA HQ, we'll see what the response is.

Seems like a lot of work and expense given the multiplcity of front sight sight heights available out there to zero a Glock with fixed sights. I have been told, BTW, by numerous pistolsmiths that they really hate milling on Glock slides because the Tenifer finish just absolutely eats up cutting tools.

I use an old cutter to hog out the material and then switch to a sharp cutter and I've never had an issue. It's only the first few thousandths that are hardened.

Nobody would bat an eye at a 1911 with a low-mount Bomar, and the ESP and CDP rules concerning sights are exactly the same as SSP.

It is the rules conserning no external mods in SSP that makes it a thumbs down not the sight itself. If you milled a bomar so it would fit the glock dovetail you would be good to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...