Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock OEM "Dot" #5 Connector Results

JonInWA

As some of you are aware, in an effort to reduce the triggerpull weight on the Gen4 Glocks to the previous Glock standard of 5.5 lbs (with the coil trigger spring)(apparently some of the re-architecting of the Gen4 guns resulted in higher triggerpull poundages with the standard Glock connnector), Glock has come up with what's been termed the "dot" (because of a very small impressed dot on the conector body), or, more technically accurate, the #5 connector.

Glock has reportedly standardized on this connector on current Gen4 production guns. Very small amounts of them have been made available in batches to Glock LE and Commercial regional managers; through their behest, I've recently obtained two of them.

One of the questions reverberating around is "How well will the 'dot' connector work with Gen 3 (or earlier) Glocks?"-The supposition, obviously, is that if the "dot" lowers the triggerpull to 5.5 lbs on a Gen4, might it similarly lower the triggerpull weight on earlier Glocks, presumably taking it to a point between the 4.5 lb "minus" connector and the 5.5 lb "standard" connector. While Charlie Vanek probably isn't lying awake sleepless at nights over this, it's an interesting question to address nontheless...at least for some of us.

I installed the "dot" connectors in both my Gen 3 G21 (with the upgraded triggerbar produced by Glock from 2006 on as the standard triggerbar), and my G19, with a smooth-triggered Gen 3.5 triggerbar (the one with the dogleg attachment point with an integral shallow trough where the coil spring end rests along the triggerbar after its been attached into the hole, to reduce potential coil spring fatigue due to rubbing/flexation-while this revision to the triggerbar seems a bit superflous, since the trigger spring issue seems to have been successfully resolved years ago with the larger attachment holes and revised trigger spring material and finish {visibly from the earlier shiney silver to the current matte battleship gray spring color}, but, hey, who am I to complain?-An improvement's an improvement...). I installed the connectors into brand-new trigger housing mechanisms on both guns, with brand-new coil trigger springs as well, to provide a equal (and a fresh start) basis for comparison.

To cut to the chase, I experienced but a slight improvement in the G21 with the new "dot" connector. While the improvement is slight, I'll keep the connector in for long-term use and evaluation. In the G21, the triggerpull seem very slightly lighter, with a crisp break and reset point. I'd estimate the break point at around 5.5 lbs; the break point with the previous "standard" connector felt very slightly heavier.

In the G19 with the Gen 3.5 triggerbar, however, there is a perceptible improvement. Break and reset points remain crisp and discernable, but the weight feels significantly decreased; I don't have a triggerpull scale, but by feel it seems to be between 4.5 and 5 lbs-between the "minus" and "standard" connector triggerpull weights, but probably closer to 4.5 lbs than 5 lbs (my original triggerpull with the OEM standard connector with this triggerbar seemed to be in the vicinity of 6-6.5 lbs, with a very crisp and discernable break/reset point).

These connectors are curently in very short after-market supply; presumably availability will increase over time (after all, it's still basically only a small stamped and formed piece of sheet metal presumably). While I'm not sure that I'd feel compelled to pay any exhorbitant tariffs over the cost of the currently available connectors, I think that they might well be worthy of some consideration for owners of Gen 3 and earlier generations of Glocks as a means of crafting triggerpulls (probably more so, if my experimentation is any indication, for guns with the Gen 3.5 triggerbar as described). As time goes on, they might well be a desirable alternative to relative costly (and at times hard to get) OEM 4.5 lb "minus" connectors-especially for those wishing to remain with OEM Glock components.

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

Agreed.

I am running one in my Gen 2 G22 and i REALLY dig it.

Very light, discernible reset and on top of that, it gives me a bit of a rolling break that i dig.

To me, its an amalgamation of 5.5 pound connectors and the minus connector.

I am currently running a stock firing pin spring with self-polished trigger system parts, including a Gen-3 trigger bar and a factory 4.5 pound connector, in my Gen-4 G17. Resultant trigger pulls are nice and smooth, and actually do go 4.5 pounds according to my NRA weight set.

Pretty much any Glock's triggerpull, regardless of generation, sees improvements (sometimes fairly dramatic) after running some 1,000 rounds through the gun. Or you can do the ".25 cent triggerjob," or go with the cottage-industries' efforts (either {or both} components or labor ministrations).

Glock's primary intention with the "dot" connector is to provide Gen4 guns essentially with a Gen-previous roughly 5.5 lb triggerpull. Variations in the exact weight (and smoothness) of a given gun's triggerpull depend upon manufacturing vicissitudes-pertaining to both individual guns and individual connectors. That's pretty much been the case anyhow throughout Glock's manufacture through the various connectors and generations.

A lot of our expectations probably need to be weighted (no pun intended...) against our individual levels of skill and discernment with our specific Glocks. A Grandmaster is going to be far, far more discerning, perceptive, and likely to be a beneficial party to any incrimental tweaks than, say, me personally. I personally need/desire a decent 4.5-6.5 lb triggerpull-I'm more concerned with the gun having a discernable, smooth rolling break, and a discernable reset point, as opposed to an uber-light pull weight. My Glocks are primarily used for carry, IDPA, and GSSF, which defines my needs (without going into my skill level...)

Best, Jon

Edited by JonInWA

I got one of the newer "dot" connectors in a recent Gen4 I had picked up and then quickly got rid of (blue label, couldn't resist the price, but sadly it ran like, well, a Gen4...).

I usually end up dropping Ghost's "4.5 Ranger" connector into my Glocks as it's lighter than a stock 5.5 connector, yet still crisper and shorter in pull and reset then the Glock 3.5 (now called 4.5) connectors like the stock 5.5 ones without the 3.5's mushy-ness. Just to compare, I decided to stick the "dot" into one of my Gen3's in place of the Ranger connector and FWIW I'd say it's very nearly pretty much the same thing feel-wise to the Ranger's.

I like 'em, I add a 6lb trigger spring and then end up at about the same pull-weight as a good 3.5/4.5 connector just shorter and crisper like a stock 5.5.

FYI/FWIW, while I usually run stock 5.5lb striker-springs as I quickly got sick of light strikes with anything other than Federal primers running a reduced power 4lb spring (and also because like Jon my match gun is my carry gun too), that said, I may have found an even better option... Seems the good folks at Glocktriggers have answered my prayers and are now making their own striker-springs in 4.5 and 5.0lb strengths!

Been rocking the 4.5lb striker-spring for about 2 months/approx 1200rds and it's set off everything I've tried including Wolf and stuff with hard CCI primers... Hey, every little bit helps, dropping even just a half pound on the striker-spring is even more dramatic than a connector change IMO, good stuff, I'd recommend ordering up a few if you're well versed in playing with Glock trigger combos, 4.5-5lbs seems to be enough and that cuts 1/2 a pound right there, I'm currently happier than I've ever been.

Just my two pesos here, maybe just me, but I'm not one of those guys who subscribes or buys into where a certain pistol's trigger weight is supposed to be, I want them as good as possible with no less than 100% function without compromising any of the gun's safeties, I don't buy into any of the BS law crap guys throw around on forums about a "carry trigger's accepted pull weight" having to be be at a certain spot, I just want my triggers were i like them so i can hit what I aim at, period, and explaining the pull-weight will be easy after explaining all the match fees, range trips, 1000's of rounds of training ammo, classes, etc. (like that wouldn't matter as much or more). ;)

Sorry for all the iPhone typos.

Edited by ck1