Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Loads with 180G bullet and VVN320

Blcksmk

Thanks for sharing this info.

Quick question: is your G35 a Gen4 model?

All right as thought my feeding issues are weak loads. I bought a chrono to check rounds so now have some data to go along with assumption, although now Im confused by the data

Glock 35. All data is with 180Gr Precision Delta FMJ, CCI SPP, mixed head stamp, 10 shot strings. Only thing that changed was OAL.

3.6gr N320 OAL 1.135 Avg Vel. 585.7 PF 105

1.125 AVG Vel. 637.6 PF 115

3.8gr N320 OAL 1.135 Avg Vel. 658.8 PF 119

1.125 Avg Vel. 656.7 PF 118

4.0gr N320 OAL 1.135 Avg Vel. 703.4 PF 127

1.125 Avg Vel. 696.6 PF 125

My extreme spread were off by quite a bit on some strings, not sure if thats a result of the quality of chrono, light conditions, or my reloading. Seems like all of my velocities are way slower than what others are seeing. I think someone above mentioned 3.7gr of N320 getting them 135PF. I know guns of the same make and model can vary, but that much. Also could different lot numbers of powder give such variance? Shot all above loads out of a G22 and avg velocities dropped slightly as suspected. Ran different weight recoil springs with the above loads, and as suspected, very little change in Avg vel.

With the stock barrel? How many rounds through that barrel?

I chrono'd my 3.7 grain load with both Frontier plated and with Montana Gold CMJ 180 bullets and both were easily over 125 pf.

My 35 has less than 1000 rounds through it. I got it last month. Stock barrel.

What kind of chrono? I have a cheap-o chrono, but my results were almost dead on compared to chrono at both the WPA sectional and at Area 8.

Sounds like you're on the right track. If it doesn't work out, though, and you're using ten round magazines, your problem may be like mine.

I would frequently have misfeeds on the first shot fired after a reload with a full ten round magazine. There was enough drag from the top round in the full magazine to slow down the slide velocity and a misfeed very similar to what you might see with too heavy a recoil spring for the load, or from limp wristing. Down loaded to 9 rounds, there were no misfeeds. Trying a really light spring didn't help, apparently because there wasn't enough return force on going back into battery to strip the top round out of the full mag.

Options in this scenario: 1) up the PF to overcome the drag. 2) down load to 9 rounds. 3) use standard capacity magazines. 4) switch to 9mm for Production (the 9mm tenners run fine).

Pretty much determined my loads were weak. What I dont understand is that I know of and have read about several other people shooting the same recipie from the same model gun and getting much higher numbers. I even checked my powder scale against my neighbors balance beam scale, but both read the same. Im still trying to find out if different lot numbers of powder can have different characterisitc from one another.

Finally got a chance to head out to the range and shoot my first 50 bullets that I loaded with VVN320 @ 3.2 GR's. I had 7 FTE's and 3 FTF's. Bullets are loaded to 1.135 which is the max for Glock mags so maybe I should shorten them some? As for the FTE's I'm thinking that I need to bump the load up to 3.4 and that should cure my problems.

Any thoughts?

Loaded some more up tonight. This time with 3.6 of VVN320. If I get a chance to shoot these this weekend I'll get some data up and see if the gun will function properly this time. I might load up another 50 with 4.0 and see what those do and feel like as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in search a load for production using VVN320 and 180G bullets. I'm shooting a Glock 22 and Glock 35.

Thanks,

Blcksmk

The Sierra reloading manual has load data for 180gr JHP's bullets and vv N320,the COAL IS 1.125 4.1gr/850v,4.5gr/900v,4.8gr/950v and 5.2 gr/1000v.

I'm in search a load for production using VVN320 and 180G bullets. I'm shooting a Glock 22 and Glock 35.

Thanks,

Blcksmk

Check out the Sierra reloading manual, or see the reply in other post below for the different loads,coal is 1.125,they show different velocities up to 1000