Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rockcastle Shotgun Championship

There are some long courses ranging between 22-26 rounds. There be an equal number of short, medium and long courses.

Is this a guess or do you know something we don't?

Personally, I hope there is a 50 round stage and a bunch of 15-25 rounders and a few 7-15 rounders.

Just a stab in the dark, but I think he knows because he designed the stages!!!!! :roflol:

I hate screen names because I can never remember who is who.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So what are some pointers from the pros for someone shooting a large match for the first time.

Also what could be the largest round count for one stage?

Quite the PT as most shotgun matches don't see a lot of running with all the walking while loading. Plus exercise is just unamerican anyways, lol!

Pattern your shotgun with your buckshot. Know the group size from 7-30 yards with an IC, M or LM and a Full choke at various distances.

Practice shooting shoot plates with very tight, touching, and even overlapping no shoot plates along side them. Do the same thing with shoot and no shoot clays.

If you have different size steel targets available to you go out and determine the max effective range of several chokes on each target.

Thanks. Looks like I have some more things to work on.

So what are some pointers from the pros for someone shooting a large match for the first time.

Also what could be the largest round count for one stage?

Quite the PT as most shotgun matches don't see a lot of running with all the walking while loading. Plus exercise is just unamerican anyways, lol!

Pattern your shotgun with your buckshot. Know the group size from 7-30 yards with an IC, M or LM and a Full choke at various distances.

Practice shooting shoot plates with very tight, touching, and even overlapping no shoot plates along side them. Do the same thing with shoot and no shoot clays.

If you have different size steel targets available to you go out and determine the max effective range of several chokes on each target.

Very good info for this match. Sounds like Jesse has been practicing the right things for this match.

Thanks. Looks like I have some more things to work on.

Well to be honest, I tried to draw up the stages on the computer and I completely trashed it. I am giving the stages to a friend this week so he can draw them up on a nice format for the website. Don't want to post up crappy diagrams.

Should be up sometime next week.

Edited by 1b375

I so understand the computer screw ups....one of the MANY reasons I have my wife lol

Question....Whats the largest shot size for birdshot? Whats prohibited?

4. Ammunition

4.1 12 ga. buckshot must have no more than 9 pellets and be 00 buck or 000 buck.

4.2 20 ga. buckshot must have no more than 20 pellets and be #3 buck.

4.3 Use of prohibited types of ammunition may result in a stage or match disqualification.

Edited by fueddy

Well to be honest, I tried to draw up the stages on the computer and I completely trashed it. I am giving the stages to a friend this week so he can draw them up on a nice format for the website. Don't want to post up crappy diagrams.

Should be up sometime next week.

Awesome. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be the biggest stage round count? I might try this match out to get my shotgun feet wet, but I need to buy more ammo holders.

Matt

I believe they are trying to work within IPSC rules so you shouldn't see anymore than 28 rounds ( If I recall the rule correctly)

So...with your gun loaded to division "start capacity" (9 for standard) having 24 on the belt should do the trick.

What would be the biggest stage round count? I might try this match out to get my shotgun feet wet, but I need to buy more ammo holders.

Matt

I believe they are trying to work within IPSC rules so you shouldn't see anymore than 28 rounds ( If I recall the rule correctly)

So...with your gun loaded to division "start capacity" (9 for standard) having 24 on the belt should do the trick.

I am reminded of Tom Selleck (in Crossfire Trail) asking Wilford Brimely's character:

“Why do you shoot that old Evans (rifle), Joe?”

To which Joe replies; “Well, it has twenty-eight rounds, and I ain't a very good shot.”

Yeah....I think I better go get one more caddie just in case...

But this is going to be a top notch, first rate, event , ya just know it! :cheers:

Edited by GunCat

Largest round count for a stage is 26.

Stages are done for the website, we are writing the stage descriptions and they will be posted by the weekend.

If anyone would like to RO the match get in touch with me at creek375@gmail.com. Your room and match fee will be compensated and you will receive a discount on food at the lodge.

Edited by 1b375

Yes sir I will. Manual Standard

Oh well, so much for my >70% finish.

In all seriousness, it's always an honor to be thrashed by you. This will probably be the "last hurrah" for me with the trombone gun, at least for awhile. I've switched to Tac-Irons for the time being. :ph34r:

DanO

Edited by dcloudy777

Yes sir I will. Manual Standard

Oh well, so much for my >70% finish.

In all seriousness, it's always an honor to be thrashed by you. This will probably be the "last hurrah" for me with the trombone gun, at least for awhile. I've switched to Tac-Irons for the time being. :ph34r:

DanO

You may be in luck mister as I am just going back to pump from autos after a 20 month lay-off. Hope I knock the rust off quickly!

See you there!