Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rockcastle Shotgun Championship

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What size and distances are the slug targets usually?

Sent using Tapatalk

I would hope that they would be 100 yards and in with most being around 50 yards or closer.

Edited by DyNo!

Well, they've never done this match before, so there is no "usually" :devil:

However, I was at the big Pan-Am match at Rockcastle in 2010, which was run by a lot of the same folks. The slug targets there were USPSA targets and Larues as best I can remember. I didn't see all of the stages, but the longest shot I remember was less than 75 yards.

DanO

At the Pan Am the longest distance on slugs was 100 yards but the rub was the long ones were off hand on the LaRue's at one stage and on paper under a low port on the ground at another. I have never seen a slug further than 150 yards but that was at the Blue Ridge. Ever time I have been to Rockcastle, there has been a sight in range available to adjust your zero on slugs.

In the non-competitive shooting world, If I ever have to shoot slugs at anything that doesn't require me to need to shoot it for food I'm running away!

My 3 gun shotgun and I agreed that the only thing practical about 50+ yard slug shots is that we practically always miss.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

In the non-competitive shooting world, If I ever have to shoot slugs at anything that doesn't require me to need to shoot it for food I'm running away!

My 3 gun shotgun and I agreed that the only thing practical about 50+ yard slug shots is that we practically always miss.

+1

What can a new guy expect to see at a match of this size. I have my equipment straight so that will not be an issue (hopefully.) And I have been PTing my brains out to get ready physically. So what are some pointers from the pros for someone shooting a large match for the first time.

Also what could be the largest round count for one stage?

Thanks in advance.

So what are some pointers from the pros for someone shooting a large match for the first time.

You may be issued a ration of Marker Mark or some other good bourbon. If you drink it your performance could be adversely affected. Sooooo be on the safe side and carry it down to the last exterior ground floor room on the left. A box will be provided for you to deposit this item.

There are some long courses ranging between 22-26 rounds. There be an equal number of short, medium and long courses.

Is this a guess or do you know something we don't?

Personally, I hope there is a 50 round stage and a bunch of 15-25 rounders and a few 7-15 rounders.

So what are some pointers from the pros for someone shooting a large match for the first time.

Also what could be the largest round count for one stage?

Quite the PT as most shotgun matches don't see a lot of running with all the walking while loading. Plus exercise is just unamerican anyways, lol!

Pattern your shotgun with your buckshot. Know the group size from 7-30 yards with an IC, M or LM and a Full choke at various distances.

Practice shooting shoot plates with very tight, touching, and even overlapping no shoot plates along side them. Do the same thing with shoot and no shoot clays.

If you have different size steel targets available to you go out and determine the max effective range of several chokes on each target.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

There are some long courses ranging between 22-26 rounds. There be an equal number of short, medium and long courses.

Personally, I hope there is a 50 round stage and a bunch of 15-25 rounders and a few 7-15 rounders.

Ditto. You can raise the round count if it means some 40-50 round stages lol Shooting shoulder doesn't get tired...but the loading shoulder did last time at 40 round stage lol

Edited by fueddy

What will the schedule look like for the last day of the match (sunday)? Will it be a full day of shooting, or just finishing a few stages and then awards? Trying to figure out the hotel arrangements and get something booked in the next few days.

Just a stab in the dark, but I think he knows because he designed the stages!!!!! :roflol: